What's new

i want to ride my bicycle

anna

Warming-Up
Oct 5, 2007
hello,
i'm new in town and i want to go for a ride just for a day. can i take my bike on a train of any kind without bagging/boxing it? what's it like braving the traffic to ride out from central tokyo? what's a good map to use? what might be a nice ride to begin with. what's a good direction to head in? or any other wise words...
thanks.

hello,
i'm new in town and i want to go for a ride just for a day.

Haro.

can i take my bike on a train of any kind without bagging/boxing it?

No, you need to put it in a bike bag or hide it somehow. Do a search at the top for bike bag or rinko and you'll find at least 2 threads on the subject.

what's it like braving the traffic to ride out from central tokyo?

Traffic is not a problem, pedestrians and people on shopping bicycles will try and kill you though. Ride defensively.

what's a good map to use?

also do a search for maps or mapple another thread devoted to it recently.

what might be a nice ride to begin with.

Depends what side of Tokyo. Find the larger rivers and ride on the cycling paths. No cars, no traffic lights and you can go very far in a straight line in a short time. I ride the Edo river at least 3 times a week. Arakawa is good as is Tama.

what's a good direction to head in? or any other wise words...
thanks.

Do a circle and get a good cross section of the city.
Some other members will tell you more details... I don't ride in Tokyo at all.

Wear a helmut....:cool:

Hope you find it in yourself to ride for more than just a day.... keep on riding.....

Anna,

Welcome to TCC

Riding the bike in Tokyo traffic isn't all that bad, I have had worse experiences in the UK. Just give it a little respect and watch for Taxi's, mamma charries and pedestrians (as mentioned by Edogawakikoman(. Keep your head in a hrad shell (helmet) and you will be just fine.

For an eay ride out, the river sides are the answer, if you are up for a little more adventure, join in with any of the rides posted here. It's a sociable fun way to explore the area.

Come on guys/go-go-girls invite Anna out for a days cycling with the TCC.

Greg

Hello, Anna!

If you live in Shibuya, then the closest river-side rides are probably:
1) Tamagawa to the south - take route 1, 2 or 246, they will take you straight to Tamagawa.
2) Arakawa to the north - 317 (Yamanote-doori) and 305 (Meiji-doori) and after them - route 17.
3) Arakawa to the east - to the Imperial Palace, then to the route 10.

In all of them you will have to run through the city traffic quite a bit. Otherwise, I guess, you will need to buy a rinko bag.

There's also a nice but very short cycling course in Yoyogi-koen - really close to Shibuya.

I usually ride near Tamagawa. I am not really a fast rider, but I would love to have a company sometimes :) And I also second all the "words of wisdom" in this thread about city traveling safety measures.

Back
Top Bottom