What's new

I want steel, I want Campy, I want...

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
So I am still trying to sort out with the wifey what my budget will be on my next bike. She has been generous and I have been a typical kid in a candy store....

Me: Baby, I want a new road bike.
Wifey: Isn't your trek new?
Me: No, I got it last year.
Wifey: <throws look only a wife is allowed>
Me: I'm serious.
Wifey: <silence>
Me: <pout>
Wifey: How much?
Me: 'x'
Wifey: If 'x' will make you happy, go ahead.
Me: So if 'x' is allowed, does that mean max 'x' or around 'x' meaning I can go over a bit and get what I really want?
Wifey: <same look but a little more intense>
Me: I'll think about it.

----------
Still thinking.

But in the meantime - Chuck throws me an offer I had to consider....
Chuck has been to my place a couple times and seen my bikes. Last time he was here, he asked me about my Soma Hard tail. I told him I had not ridden it since being in Japan and thinking of selling it. We discuss a bit, but he is in a similar situation as me. He could, but it may not be worth the wrath that comes with n+1.

Chuck knowing I want Steel and I want Campy and that I have Steel and I have XTR on a bike I don't use anymore, proposes a trade. Now it is my bike and it is Chuck's bike - but to not raise eyebrows, I mention to my wife the trade.

Wifey: But you love the Soma.
Me: yeah, but I don't ride it.
Wifey: but you hate your trek
Me: hate is a strong word, but why would chuck want my trek? - he doesn't, he wants the soma and I don't use it anymore.
Wifey: but you love the Soma.
Me: This is why I need to build that other road bike.
Wifey: Then why are you getting the road bike from Chuck?
Me: Because I might love the vintage bike. And that's cheaper... plus if I still build the new one, I have an around town fun road bike vs a bike I love that i don't ride.
Wifey: What about if we end up somewhere you want to mountain bike again
Me: I'll build another one.
Wifey: Then you should keep the Soma.
Me: I'll still build another one. You know how old the Soma will be when we move?
Wifey: Fine, do what you want. But you love the Soma.

------------
This weekend Chuck and I are trading bikes. :)
I have also called a buddy back home to discuss building a Ritchey Road Logic frame.
And another friend has asked me if I knew anyone selling a good road bike in my size...

Bikes involved in the trade:
533172_589158564446484_2084362747_n.jpg

598746_10151468651467808_1401943804_n.jpg

- Difference on the Soma from this picture-
New XTR Rear der
New XT crank
Chris King Wheel Removed and replaced with <100km x7/DT x430

My wife and I (she also works, and makes about as much as I do), have separate budgets for things like this--bikes, expensive shamisen (my wife's hobby), and even what new car we might choose, and when. We don't have to discuss/negotiate with each other.

:p

My wife and I (she also works, and makes about as much as I do), have separate budgets for things like this--bikes, expensive shamisen (my wife's hobby), and even what new car we might choose, and when. We don't have to discuss/negotiate with each other.

LOL, yeah, I can not imagine it working any other way.

((tho we still do have the occasional argument about other things :rolleyes:))

I too have a budget for my tools etc, but a new bike the like of which you guys are talking about far exceeds that amount. We also have kids, both overseas in school, so trust me, neither of us are spending any money we can avoid to spend. I have spent some real money on things like the SawStop tablesaw I have in the Dungeon, that cost real money, about $5400, but that was a decision that was talked out. :D I'm not trying to make my wife out to be some kind of harpy, she is certainly not.

My wife and I have financial goals that we are easily making, however we do not spend the extra. When we find ourselves ahead, the money goes away - somewhere in the bank. I am positive I will appreciate it one day. :)

Actually it was my idea. I am actually rather frugal.
Lots of money wrapped up in things... but not consumables - My biggest budget items, bicycles, beer, food, train card.

Beer food and train card are never discussed.
Components for the bikes are not discussed when they are parts needing replacing - ie worn out chain rings, tires, etc...

New bikes... this is discussed. And not just for her sake, but mine. If I talk it out with her, I can truly get at the heart of what I want. I almost bought a salsa Colossal 2. Finger was on the button to purchase. She said go ahead, but then asked the questions... the 'does it have the wheels you want? Does it have the bars you want?, etc...' And she actually made me realize I was pulling the trigger on something new w/o really thinking it through. While I still like the bike, I would have been thinking upgrade the day I received it. Not because it needs it... but just because.

Being able to talk to your spouse about major purchases is great, my wife has also saved me from making a few bad purchases, also if I can convince her that it is a good purchase, then it must be.

I think the trade/swap you guys are doing is great, sounds like a real win/win :cool:

Back
Top Bottom