What's new

I stink!

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I mean seriously stink, I don't even want to be near me. I wonder what my radius is. I feel sorry for the people who are about to have me sit near them on the train.

I put deodorant on this morning, it's not that smell. It's the homeless smell. That's what cycling gets you, a fast track to some serious no shower for a few weeks action.

Think I'll keep my mirrored sunnies on and try and pretend it isn't me.
I wouldn't even need to be here if it wasn't for a flat tyre. Oh well here comes the train..... Later..:warau:

Lay off the coffee and drink more plain water?

I drink a lot of water, but I have been drinking a lot of coffee lately (Although none today)

Only thing that works for me is Old Spice's High Endurance or Red Zone.
It keeps the wolf from the door so to speak!
I usually stock up when I go to Guam.
However,I haven't been there recently so my supplies are dwindling!
When you can smell yourself you know you must be pretty ripe!

Coffee (and caffeine in general) will increase your sweating. More sweat = more smell. Surprisingly, drinking more water actually reduces sweating. When you become under-hydrated and hot, your body goes into overdrive to get your core temp reduced and kicks in the sweat response. If you are well hydrated, your body will allow for higher core temp before triggering this response. So - FE is correct -

More Coffee = More Sweating.
More Water = Less Sweating.

Lay off the coffee and drink more plain water?

Less meat and more veggies?

Cycling has made me rediscover a taste for Calpis Soda. I think part of the appeal is the distinct but modest degree of fizz. (Next I should try Lambrusco.)

I drink a lot of water, but I have been drinking a lot of coffee lately (Although none today)

I find that If I drink a lot of coffee then my B.O levels rise accordingly.

I find that If I drink a lot of coffee then my B.O levels rise accordingly.

That's bad news for those near me on cycling days, because I can't see myself giving up coffee anytime soon!

Less meat and more veggies?

Cycling has made me rediscover a taste for Calpis Soda. I think part of the appeal is the distinct but modest degree of fizz. (Next I should try Lambrusco.)

That stuff is nasty in all aspects - you are actualy better off drinking a full fat can of Coke - better yet Van Houtton Chocolate milk!

My diet is awful for endurance sports.

When training for a marathon - about mid training when the miles get high... 'ammonia' is all you can smell. I have researched it and even have had doctors advice nutritional changes (and I followed them) to no avail. I can up the carbs all day and all I do is get fatter. (yes, I am the 100kg guy running a 4hour marathon - it's not natural!)

Once I run for more than 3 hours, I just wreak! And it is not from my arm pits... it is all over. I still get caught off guard and start looking for cleaning products in the shower...

if you're willing to carry/use them--or maybe buy and use up just before hopping a train--most places sell deodorant body wipes. Look for a pack with Ag+ on the front. Note that some are for general use, while some are for more sensitive tissues.

Also good for getting sun block off.

Like Tom I try to avoid train rides. Mostly it's because I like to maximize my riding during the time I'm out of the door and also because I hate packing / unpacking the bike, but the last few times that I did rinko it back home I was aware of my smell while standing on the platform or train. It's not a good feeling.

I do OK with heat but it's because I sweat a lot and need to drink a lot too. When I get home after a long or fast bike ride and my wife is home, the first thing I have to do (within 5 minutes!) is to take a shower or she will kick me out ;)

Like FE, Van Houton chocoloate is one of my favourites out on the road. I wish more conbinis would sell it - most don't! But grapefruit juice is also pretty good if I want something that supplies calories and nutrients (not just hydration like water) and when I can't find chocolate milk.

I often have about 6 mugs of coffee a day when I'm at home, but on all day rides I usually only have it for breakfast and then not again for the rest of the day. I get a craving for it when I drive the car but hardly miss it on the bike. Not sure why!

I brought some of these with me on the Haute Route event. Japan is clearly the leader when it comes to personal hygiene stuff like this. I mix the AXE branded ones, though. These plus my trusty 4711 and I was smelling fine at anytime!

if you're willing to carry/use them--or maybe buy and use up just before hopping a train--most places sell deodorant body wipes. Look for a pack with Ag+ on the front. Note that some are for general use, while some are for more sensitive tissues.

Also good for getting sun block off.

Just been reading the comments on the other similar thread. Maybe it`s your soap/shower gel etc. Have you thought of using baking soda or white vinegar?

I sweat more than anyone I know. I'm talking buckets! But as far as I know, I don't smell....

I was always under the impression (though never looked into it) that BO was a result of bateria acting on your sweat - the smell of decomposing if you like. So the quicker you clean up the better. To this end, I always shower in the morning even though I'm jumping on the bike for a sweaty commute.

A healthy diet and good hydration are important too.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Funny thing is I usually don't smell that bad. (According to me)
It was just this day.

Back
Top Bottom