What's new

I need a hill

fluro2au

Warming-Up
Jan 29, 2007
Is it possible to do a 2hr ride starting from the Imperial palace that would include a HILL????

I looking to find a climb of at least 2km that would allow me to do some strength work before I race in Germany in July.

Is there a hill that exists somewhere in Tokyo???? I' yet to find anything. I closest I have come is a couple of rollers along route 246 but they just aren't steep or long enough.

Paul :(

Tokyo hills

Paul,

Have you ridden westward along Aoyama-dori, down and up Ometesando, then following Inokashira-dori to Oyama-cho ? Several hills and all on my regular commute of 7kms. If you then tour around the Yoyogi-Uehara area there are several steep but short hills. Another possibility is Harajuku area through to Akasaka, there are a couple of good ones there.

Nothing over 700/800m long though.

Charles

Is it possible to do a 2hr ride starting from the Imperial palace that would include a HILL????

I looking to find a climb of at least 2km that would allow me to do some strength work before I race in Germany in July.

Is there a hill that exists somewhere in Tokyo???? I' yet to find anything. I closest I have come is a couple of rollers along route 246 but they just aren't steep or long enough.

Paul :(

Catch the Tsukuba Express to Tsukaba and point your bike at the peak and keep on going... or Okutama....with the guys here...

Tokyo is pretty flat all over....(Kanto plain).

Hey Paul,

The conditions you specify -- 2 hour ride from palace (round trip?), at least 2km climb -- limit your options.

One option is the Takao climb: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/79465

It's a little over 5km and leads to the top of Odarumi Toge.

The problem is time -- this will take longer than two hours door-to-door. More like 4 hours.

One way to get there -- the way that involves the least traffic -- is to take the Tamagawa, then the Asagawa, then finally the Minami-Asagawa.

Here's a link to the route from the Tamagawa. The map shows the route continuing past Odarumi, but you can of course turn around at any point along the way.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/102346

Another way to get there is to get on Route 20 (Koshu Kaido) going west, and just keep riding, as the climb is on this road. This involves more cars and lights, but you can work on intervals between the lights!

Deej

Paul,

Have you ridden westward along Aoyama-dori, down and up Ometesando, then following Inokashira-dori to Oyama-cho ? Several hills and all on my regular commute of 7kms. If you then tour around the Yoyogi-Uehara area there are several steep but short hills. Another possibility is Harajuku area through to Akasaka, there are a couple of good ones there.

Nothing over 700/800m long though.

Charles

Charles,

Which route numbers are those? I can remember there was a road through Meguro (can't remember the number) that had some steepish shorter climbs like you said.

it does just need to be a before work door to door route from the palace as catching the train anywhere will really just chew into valuable ride time.

fluro

Back
Top Bottom