What's new

I got a puncture... while riding indoors

mr tim

Maximum Pace
Mar 11, 2022
ffs of all the things! Not what I expected I must admit. It was probably in the Wahoo Rollr user guide but who reads that. And no, I didn't run over a piece of Lego or something. Turns out I should have cranked up the air pressure and quite likely looked at it once in a while. The tyre has ended up rectangular shaped and worn right through before collapsing.

Shall I simply replace with another outdoor tyre and pressure it correctly or, as I have just discovered, get a home trainer tyre?
I did 450km on the tyres indoors after 6,000km on them outdoors. I estimate I'll add 1,000km indoors before going outside regularly again. I don't know the life expectancy of a road tyre. The front tyre has very little wear, so it's definity from the Rollr.

A home trainer tyre would seem the best (like this Continental?), but it removes the option of spontaneously going outside for a ride, which is why I picked up the Rollr in the first place. Like in today's sunshine. I'm not a mechanical person so don't mind thrashing through another tyre and then buying another in 2 months if it reduces the hassle.

For home trainer tyres I know what she said, but does width matter? Currently I have a 700x28c road tyre. A ballpark figure on price or brand you've tried would be useful
If I use an outdoor tyre, what pressure do you suggest? Typically 95psi feels good for outside and I do 30-120km most days in the summer. I'm 105kg. I'm seeing 110psi suggested in google searches.

Thank you

If I use an outdoor tyre, what pressure do you suggest? Typically 95psi feels good for outside and I do 30-120km most days in the summer. I'm 105kg. I'm seeing 110psi suggested in google searche
I recommend you have a look at [SRAM's tire pressure calculator](https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure). The recommended pressures are way lower than what you put in, I got 68 psi and 72 psi in front and rear, respectively. To get numbers, I did enter a few educated guesses (8 kg bike weight and 21 mm inner width for your rim, and selected you'd be riding wet surfaces).

I recommend you have a look at [SRAM's tire pressure calculator](https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure). The recommended pressures are way lower than what you put in, I got 68 psi and 72 psi in front and rear, respectively. To get numbers, I did enter a few educated guesses (8 kg bike weight and 21 mm inner width for your rim, and selected you'd be riding wet surfaces).
oh, that's quite a difference. I shall look, yes.
I have a 55cm frame. Rims are 622x19mm.

Rollers and dumb trainers can eat through regular tires pretty fast. Trainer tires have harder rubber designed for the trainer. I have a Continental trainer tire you can have. If your bike is rim brake, you can have the Shimano RS wheel too. Don't need them since I got a smart trainer.

Rollers and dumb trainers can eat through regular tires pretty fast. Trainer tires have harder rubber designed for the trainer. I have a Continental trainer tire you can have. If your bike is rim brake, you can have the Shimano RS wheel too. Don't need them since I got a smart trainer.
Awesome offer, thank you. I have disk brakes with a smarter trainer than rider :). I'll be ok for wheel, although too a great offer, thank you. Looking in Amazon they can deliver tyres and inner tube first thing in the morning if I don't feel like going to a shop later today.
I'll accept the cost of tyres I get through indoors given the gains of being able to ride a bike most days of the week now.

Awesome. I was trying to reverse engineer the frank berto chart but with the online calc now I won't have to.

A home trainer tyre would seem the best (like this Continental?), but it removes the option of spontaneously going outside for a ride
I once took my bike to the station while still half-asleep, rinko-ed to somewhere Odakyu line, and only realized as I reassembled the bike that I still had the trainer tyre (same one you linked) on the rear wheel. Did my ride with the other guys. Cornering was a bit weird, but I survived just fine.

I am strangely drawn to the Kinetic Trainer Tire for my rollers. The manufacturers say it can also be used outdoors. Sadly out of stock.

1673708143601.png

I once took my bike to the station while still half-asleep, rinko-ed to somewhere Odakyu line, and only realized as I reassembled the bike that I still had the trainer tyre (same one you linked) on the rear wheel. Did my ride with the other guys. Cornering was a bit weird, but I survived just fine.

I am strangely drawn to the Kinetic Trainer Tire for my rollers. The manufacturers say it can also be used outdoors. Sadly out of stock.

View attachment 37260
I've seen a few indoor tyres in funky colors... tempting indeed

Solution then:
I've replaced the rear tyre with the tyre from the front. I'll expect that to fail in a month or so although I have a much better understanding of Zwift so I may well be putting less strain on it. Hopefully it won't fail mid session as it did yesterday. The front is all new then, and I've another tyre ready for the rear.
Tyre pressure for outdoors: Thank you for having me look at that. I weighed the bike and checked the wheels and according to that sram guide I require 83.4 on the front, and 88.7 on the rear. By coincidence GCN had a video out yesterday about tyre pressure and also referred to the sram site.
Not completely sure what rear pressure to use indoors as yet but I'll start off with the recommended outdoor value.
I'm still really happy with my Rollr purchase too :)
Thank you all.

Tyre pressure for outdoors: Thank you for having me look at that. I weighed the bike and checked the wheels and according to that sram guide I require 83.4 on the front, and 88.7 on the rear. By coincidence GCN had a video out yesterday about tyre pressure and also referred to the sram site.
In my experience, SRAM's recommendations are very, very good. However, make sure to play a little, because tire pressures always represent trade-offs. If I go a little lower (think 5 psi), then my bike will feel better on rougher bits of road, if I inflate them a bit more, it'll feel better on smoother sections of road. So in the offseason when I tend to go slower, I tend to use lower pressures. Also, at lower pressures I have more grip, which is another reason I prefer lower pressures when the conditions aren't all sunshine and 25+ degrees.
Not completely sure what rear pressure to use indoors as yet but I'll start off with the recommended outdoor value.
I'm still really happy with my Rollr purchase too :)
That's trickier. If you use special indoor tires, the pressures should be much higher. You don't have to worry about imperfections in the road and suspension losses. Riding on rollers or on a trainer is more akin to riding in a velodrome.

However, if you use regular tires, that's trickier. Pay attention to the max pressures, they can be vastly different. E. g. at least on previous versions, at 28 mm wide the regular Corsas went up to 110 or 115 psi, I think, the Corsa Controls maxed out at 85 psi (same width!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom