What's new

I DID it!

Lawrence

Speeding Up
Jul 23, 2011
I got my bike bag (Tioga EZ Wrap) so wanted to visit the Arakawa cycling road with it today.
I also wanted to get a 100km ride in- it would be my farthest ride so far.

Got my bike all ready last night. Bagged it and put it in the entrance. Riding it to the station and then baggin it would take too long in the morning. I hooked my helmet and CamelBak to the front handle bars (one on each side).

Weather- Got hotter as the morning clouds burned off. Drank my 3.5L (in my bottles and CamelBak) and before I got home I drank about 5L.

Station guy didn't give me a prob (today used JR Keiyo Line only) about my bike bag. In the morn I told the man in the entrance, "Good morning" and walked by.
All other times in the stations I scanned my pass and lifted my bike over the entrance machines- it's too wide to fit through on my shoulder.

In the back of the train the girl conductor saw me but didn't say anything. In Kasai Rinkai Park the man at the entrance watched as I opened my locker and put the bags on my bike ready (the lockers are in the station by the entrance).
So at least with all the people today it looks like my bike bag passes.

I took the first train (4:57AM- yes, you read that right! Think I slept about 2 hours...) and didn't sit. I stood with my bag- didn't know if it would get crowded and thought I should be responsible. I never did get crowded in the very front car.

Got to the station and found out my sun tan lotion was pretty much empty. If I had known that I could have easily bought more. I can't use other brands either as I may get an allergic reaction. After- yes I burned some. I put some salve on but I learned to check that I have enough lotion.

Had to reenter the station- didn't know the lockers were inside (no prob it's on my pass).

After changing clothes in the bathroom I started out sometime around 6.

At the start there were quite a few runners and bikers but not so bad. I mainly followed everyone (at one point most people cross over to the other side of the river).

As I got farther there were less people.
There were golf courses, baseball fields, parks, gate ball fields and finally farm fields.
At the very end it looks like you have to go out on a narrow street and I figured I'd screw that (after riding all day with NO signals or cars) and turned around.

On the way back it actually was a shorter distance (didn't take wrong turns). For about half the way back an older man was following on an old JP commuter bike with big tires and gears. Although his cadence was slow our speed was about the same- he would make a good partner. Finally he sped up and I stopped to get some water (was almost all out) and went to the bathroom. He was a tough old guy and I was tired after about 70-80km.

When I returned I saw I didn't have 100km yet so I doubled back once and rode around Kasai Rinkai (bought down my Av) until I got my 100km.

23.6 Av, 4:15:24 in the saddle and I kept the cadence around 90 (I don't care about speed) the whole time.

Have a few more rides in my back tire and then I'm gonna put my Panaracer Massa's on.

My bike now has over 1K km on it (have had it 5 months).

For this vacation still wanna cycle in Tokyo City (either around the castle or on the streets on the weekend) and go on the Edogawa Cycling road (probably will do something similar to today).

Didn't get any cramps but am tired, it was a fun ride and I plan to do it again although I wouldn't on a weekend.

Back
Top Bottom