What's new

I am bored

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Going on 7 weeks now with knee injury and today l am at the ear doctor with 2だに thatl l pulled out of my right ear dripping with blood. What more can go wrong. Been asked to return to work when my knee heals. Part time job, but pays well. But l want to hop on the bike and head out towards Hokkaido. Also had to buy a new bike due to l could not raise my right leg over the seat. And now l realized my cross bike is trashed. New bike needed to tour.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are going stir crazy.
If I were you I would ride.
The job can wait, the road cannot.

Sounds like you are going stir crazy.
If I were you I would ride.
The job can wait, the road cannot.
Oh, and today I have to renew the bike insurance before I turn 70 otherwise one can not be insured if trying to buy insurance at the age of 70. At least that is how it was explained. Off to 7-11 this morning.

What's wrong with the Giant?
Tomorrow I'll take some pictures. I'm just not going to put any more money in the bike. On hold for touring. I suppose if I recover fully from this knee injury, I'm going to have to do some new bike shopping. I don't think though I'll go again with Giant. I need a lighter frame and most likely some different style of bike. Seo, here in town is very expensive though and so is Asahi bikes. Dang price of bikes have gone up 20000 yen in 4 years now.

Got my renewal of insurance today. Under 4000 yen. About the same price as last year.

Why don't you spend the time looking for your next bike? That always keeps me motivated. I'm not surprised your other bike wore out after all that riding. I'd probably want to invest in something slightly more upmarket if you can. I'd go used if I were you to save some money.

Giant. I need a lighter frame and most likely some different style of bike.
As soon as lighter enters the equation prices go up. Light touring bikes do t really exist. Your bike frame should be good, it's the parts that have worn out I think.
You might be better off looking at rack and pannier options as TBH your set up was loose and an accident waiting to happen.
Maybe take your time to learn how to fix and swap out parts while your knee recovers. Good wishes for that.

As soon as lighter enters the equation prices go up. Light touring bikes do t really exist. Your bike frame should be good, it's the parts that have worn out I think.
You might be better off looking at rack and pannier options as TBH your set up was loose and an accident waiting to happen.
Maybe take your time to learn how to fix and swap out parts while your knee recovers. Good wishes for that.
I had a Giant Escape as my first 'nice' bike as an adult. I rode the wheels off that thing all over Tokyo. By the time I got rid of it, then wheels were literally falling apart. I wonder how much Giant market research tells them that tier of bike usually gets ridden. I think that adventurous cyclist has certainly ridden his beyond whatever that number is, like I did.

I would think an inexpensive wheelset and a second hand Tiagra groupset would extend the life of the frame by years for very little money. What's the stock Shimano wheelset that comes on lots of entry level road bikes? RS-80? You can find those in like new condition on Mercari for less than ¥10,000 every day.

Edit: WH-501 is the wheelset I was thinking of.

Last edited:
I think the wheel that needed to be replaced was some luggage fell into it. Gears and racks are what imo make good touring bikes. Good idea about wheels but maybe a wider rim to give wider tires a batter seating.

Hey folks, I really appreciate all your help. I have actually put more into the Giant R3 Escape over the last 4 years since June 8th 2019. My concern about buying a used bike is that I have to still go with an XS frame, which currently the Giant is. The amount of money I put into this Giant was well WORTH it because I really got to see a lot of Japan with camping and my first experience going to an onsen and staying in a guest house. What an adventure I've have had in the last 4 years.
I like the idea of saving the frame, well, because its an usual color and everyone laughs about it or at least they know its George's bike.
I think the bike shop SEO might be closed today, but give me some suggestions . My though is to save both tires, the front rim is lost. Back rim, good. Cables all need replacing. And the rest is trashed, even the pedals, but I'm keeping them.
I will first start with your suggestions about keeping my frame and see what it cost.
Again, thanks guys.
This year if it wasn't for my knee injury ( yesterday I was able to climb 3 steps without the cane ) I'm sure I'd be heading North to Hokkaido or get back to Okinawa and then to Miyakojima.
I'll post the pictures soon of my trashed bike. Have to use my phone first.

First of all, is XS the correct size for you? How tall are you?

I kinda like the orange, but usually it is financially more feasible to buy complete bikes used. You should be able to get very good equipment for not too much money. Since you have a flatbar bike, mountain bike groupsets are the way to go.

As far as bike choice goes, if you primarily go long distance and want to carry stuff, perhaps @joewein can help you here.

With the kind of use your bike has seen, I think starting from scratch is probably the best option. Something like Surly's Ogre comes to mind, a robust frame with lots of mounting options and flatbars. I can also recommend the website and Youtube channel Cycling About, which caters to cyclists like you. Some of their options such as Cube's Travel is relatively inexpensive (€899). He has used a Koga WorldTraveller for his long trips, and he has been super happy with it.

First of all, is XS the correct size for you? How tall are you?

I kinda like the orange, but usually it is financially more feasible to buy complete bikes used. You should be able to get very good equipment for not too much money. Since you have a flatbar bike, mountain bike groupsets are the way to go.

As far as bike choice goes, if you primarily go long distance and want to carry stuff, perhaps @joewein can help you here.

With the kind of use your bike has seen, I think starting from scratch is probably the best option. Something like Surly's Ogre comes to mind, a robust frame with lots of mounting options and flatbars. I can also recommend the website and Youtube channel Cycling About, which caters to cyclists like you. Some of their options such as Cube's Travel is relatively inexpensive (€899). He has used a Koga WorldTraveller for his long trips, and he has been super happy with it.
Yeah the orange color is kind of unusual but actually they colored the name and called that mango mango color.
As you know I actually do travel long distance and actually even in town it's not unusual for me to put 50 to 100 km on the bike in a day.
One thing is true though, I am not going to tour with my current bike . I mean if I get so hard up I'll just use that Mama Chari bike.
But really my mind is set on a bike and you're probably spot on by the time I get all the upgrades on the giant bike, new replacement parts, that it's probably being more satisfying and mentally more rewarding to put the money into a brand new bike. although I've been a cyclist that doesn't mean I know much about bicycles which is true, I really don't. I'm just the person who bought a bicycle wants to go from point A to point b and back to point A safely. Thbat's been my goal, and in between let the wind be my roadmap.

So what kind of bike can I buy for let's say 100,000 yen that suits my needs and you guys know what my needs are. Those handlebars that look like bull horns I've never rolled one of those type of bikes that had those handlebars on and to me it always seemed to uncomfortable but I think with the light form frame maybe the bullhorn handlebars is probably going to be something I'm going to have to buy with the bike.

Oh yeah right I'm only 5 ft 3 in tall. I'm a short little s***.

Here's some pictures.
All worn out.
IMG_20230517_125057.jpg
Safety flashers fell off.
IMG_20230517_125026.jpg
New cables needed.
IMG_20230517_125036.jpg
This area is skipping gears and damaged. Talk about having groin pain when that skips the gear and zap right on my seat wow.
IMG_20230517_124940.jpg

Another picture showing the wear and tear of the chain and also the cassette it's really shot it's like like forget it.
IMG_20230517_124946.jpg

That's my new room with new brakes also the spokes were balanced to fit the rim and the guy at SEO BIKES apparently didn't do a very good job and this and I posted about it I think a month ago.

I thingof it is the bike shop there, he speaks English and he does give 10% discount but there's another bicycle shop in town and they're highly expensive also, so I only really have two options . l can go back to SEO bicycle shop when time comes place an order for a bike or go to the other bicycle shop and I'll be honest with you guys they are totally not foreign people friendly and this is in a University Town also.
IMG_20230517_125003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_124954.jpg
    IMG_20230517_124954.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 6
Chains "stretch". (Their components don't stretch, but they wear; and they do so so that the chain as a whole stretches.) "Stretched" chains cause jumping and general horribleness, and they can soon damage the cassette and perhaps the chainwheels too. A new bike of course won't bring immunity to chain "stretch". And as I discovered the hard way, "stretch" can be imperceptible and then accelerate quickly. But a tool costing a few hundred yen will show you whether the "stretch" is so pronounced that the chain should be replaced.

Five foot three is 160 cm, which would call for an "S" (or even "XS") sized frame in much of the world but perhaps not in Japan. One company's "S" could be another's "XS" or "M".

How about, for example, your local branch (I think) of "Cycle Paradise" (= "Saipara")?

Specialized has a great sale on now. The Sirrus 3.0 is similar to your Giant R3 Escape and is only ¥77,000.
Yes, the 2023 R3 Escape sells for 76900 yen. That's the new price. The color selection this year is not so favorable. Kind of dull colors actually. The shop here SEO has the 5 colors in stock, but would have to order the XS model. Personally I don't think the bike is worth that much considering not much has changed since the 2019 model which was bought for 52000 yen. But truthfully, I do want a new bike, the Giant has seen its good days for me. It does look like the bikes now are at 80 to 90000 yen for something I'd end up buying.
Today, I was able to walk in the mall ( I forgot my cane ) and I pushed myself, but I think I'm on the road for recovery. Not doing well yet on climbing the steps though. Getting there.
Thanks Yogi.

Chains "stretch". (Their components don't stretch, but they wear; and they do so so that the chain as a whole stretches.) "Stretched" chains cause jumping and general horribleness, and they can soon damage the cassette and perhaps the chainwheels too. A new bike of course won't bring immunity to chain "stretch". And as I discovered the hard way, "stretch" can be imperceptible and then accelerate quickly. But a tool costing a few hundred yen will show you whether the "stretch" is so pronounced that the chain should be replaced.

Five foot three is 160 cm, which would call for an "S" (or even "XS") sized frame in much of the world but perhaps not in Japan. One company's "S" could be another's "XS" or "M".

How about, for example, your local branch (I think) of "Cycle Paradise" (= "Saipara")?
Actually, I'm in Yudaonsen/Yamaguchi city. As far as I know only 3 major bike shops. Asahi, SEO and another one that the sales people just wasn't interested in approaching me. And this is a university town with many exchange students. SEO owner, I've done business with. Nice guy. Asahi... well... no discount there at all.

@adventurous cyclist
What you describe sounds like a completely worn drivetrain. At the very least you will need a new cassette, a new chain and 3 new chainrings. Over time the components wear. The chain stretches and as the cassette wears, your worn chain may actually work better with your worn cassette and worn chainrings than a new chain.

I'm pretty sure I'd also change all of the cables.

If I were you, I'd probably figure out how much I'd need for a bike and then start saving. 100,000 ¥ seems a tad too low, I'd invest just a little bit more to get a bike that will stay with you for longer. In the low end of the "proper bikes" price bracket, a little more money can go a long way.

Here are a few things I'd recommend, though:
  • Go for a bike that allows for wider tires. Your bike seems to have 32ish mm tires. Those are very narrow and not very comfortable.
  • Some bikes like this Cube come with a front fork to give extra comfort. If you don't use panniers in the front, that might actually be a welcome addition. Comfort over long distances is a huge deal.
  • I'd definitely go with hydraulic disc brakes. Hydraulic brakes require less force and are self-adjusting. Don't be afraid of extra fuss. My mom had hydraulic rim brakes on her bike. She hadn't had to service them in years.
  • Consider a 1x setup. They are easier to maintain and you will have easier gearing if you choose the right chainring.
  • Consider a quality used bike. Given your size, you should have lots of choices. I'd take a nice used bike over a new mediocre bike any day, provided the previous owner gave it plenty of love.
So what kind of bike can I buy for let's say 100,000 yen that suits my needs and you guys know what my needs are. Those handlebars that look like bull horns I've never rolled one of those type of bikes that had those handlebars on and to me it always seemed to uncomfortable but I think with the light form frame maybe the bullhorn handlebars is probably going to be something I'm going to have to buy with the bike.
Customizing your bike is hugely important, but often does add to the bill. Typically, you'd want to invest money in the so-called contact points, saddle, pedals, handlebars and grips.

E. g. Ergon makes grips with integrated bull horns. These are ergonomic grips. Grips are purely a matter of taste. I have ridden Ergon's ergonomic grips for close to a decade and they helped prevent that my wrists "roll down" and cause pain.

Similarly, I'd strongly suggest you start trying out different saddles. I'd stay away from heavily padded saddles, they tend to numb your whole bum as they may cut circulation over a wide area.
Oh yeah right I'm only 5 ft 3 in tall. I'm a short little s***.
Bike sizes can vary a little, so I'd definitely check. E. g. your limb length relative to your torso may change your preferred side. On the plus side, you won't have trouble finding a new or used bike in Japan.

Something like this would be perfect Ticks every box and has the racks. It*s two yrs old but unridden.
Yes, that is something I'm gearing for. It is 140000 yen ? Is that correct? Nice bike. But the price is really more then I want to spend. 30000 yen more currently I can not afford to pay. Thanks for the post, kiwisimon.

Back
Top Bottom