Hydraulic road brakes from SRAM

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
Nice gotta be good for CX when those brifters meet disks. But when will production begin.
Nice timing. Yesterday was Shimano's announcement of 11speed ultegra di2 with hydro discs. That's going to be the group I put on my next bike. That's going to be the group that is going to rule CX.

I cannot wait for a size comparison. The problem is that brifters just don't have enough space inside for mechanical shifting and hydraulic fluid reservoirs, that's why the Sram things are huge.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Nice timing. Yesterday was Shimano's announcement of 11speed ultegra di2 with hydro discs. That's going to be the group I put on my next bike. That's going to be the group that is going to rule CX.

I cannot wait for a size comparison. The problem is that brifters just don't have enough space inside for mechanical shifting and hydraulic fluid reservoirs, that's why the Sram things are huge.
electric sram coming soon.
i missed the Shimano's announcement of 11speed ultegra di2 with hydro discs, thanks.

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
UI2 is probably lighter than mechanical now. Shimano ice tech rotors are so advanced that 140mm might be sufficient. But hubs will be heavier, so compared to calliper mechanical maybe plus 300g tops?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Funny I seem to recall a discussion on this board that came to the conclusion that disc brakes for road bikes was a bad idea and would most likely not happen anytime soon.....? :rolleyes:
Are these new brakes going to be used in UCI races?
I can certainly see them in CX events, but how about TDF?
Hydro brakes and disc brakes are two totally different products - this is not the first time hydro caliper brakes have been used in a Pro race and there is no exemptions in place for hydro caliper brake systems.

In reality there is no real difference between standard cable pull brakes and hydro caliper brakes – but what they are doing is clever, they are paving the way for disc and playing on the fact when most people hear hydraulic brakes they think of disc brakes.
"Hey Mark Cavendish is riding hydraulic brakes! So it can’t all be bad!”

Hydraulic disc will happen – Shimano have just announced the Ultegra Hydraulic disc setup and it is HOT – using years of XTR disc brake technology they have produced a product that not only works but looks fantastic – especially the hoods that look no different to standard Di2 shifters – oh and yes they are Di2!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/06/30...ith-r785-di2-system-and-11-speed-ultegra-di2/

Oh and Dura Ace is on its way!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
These will make it a bitch to use with couplers, though. The beautiful thing is that this will obsolete the DA9000 mechanicals, which are probably the best engineered mech going right now and make them as cheap as frites on the day after a muddy race. Go Shimano! Keep pushing the poseurs up and up!

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
Well good news from that BikeRumour article is that come November, I should be able to buy a 11 speed rear derailleur + 11-cog and then upgrade my U6770 to 11 speed Di very quickly.

I might go internal battery at the same time, although it will mean taking the crank out to rewire up the seat post. Worth it for 80g saving? hmmmm...

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
As far as fitting the new ultegra hydraulic disc brakes to a conventional road bike, I guess this will be pretty difficult huh. It will mean a new set of wheels and an aftermarket fork that has mounts for the brake calipers, right?

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
Well good news from that BikeRumour article is that come November, I should be able to buy a 11 speed rear derailleur + 11-cog and then upgrade my U6770 to 11 speed Di very quickly.
You`ll need a new FD as well, as the trim function won`t be set up for the correct widths (I think that`s the reason given). I have the green light to get Ultegra 11 speed, problem is, I`m sure 12-speed is on the way, and when it duly arrives, will it be compatible with the 11-speed system, or you will need a new RD/FD again???

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
Depends how much climbing you are doing. How much climbing are you doing?
Not enough yet for Advanced ride on first Norikura day - my training went to pot after my right knee started badly clicking, but thankfully Doc traced it to my knees being crammed under this small desk in the same position each day for too many hours (okay ....and I'm getting old). A desk adjustment later (not exactly ergonomics, but back removed, chair lowered and a mental note to straighten legs for some hours each day) has led to the clicking stopping and my cycling back on. Off to Auz this weekend for the Lions game, but the following long weekend I will be up those mountains!

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
London, UK
www.macrophotofly.com
You`ll need a new FD as well, as the trim function won`t be set up for the correct widths
I don't believe that for a moment. The "trim" function only works when shifting between 5th and 6th on the back - I thought when I bought the U6770 that the trim would be gradual across each rear gear change, but having put the whole bike on the e-tube and watched the process carefully, the FD just trims once (and its enough to avoid contact on all gears). There's not even any electical adjustment you can do to the FD (even the mechanical adjustment I find quite suspect, if you remember from my bike build). The gate on the FD is way too wide to need to change it to - frankly they should have a fully moving trim and thinner gate for more precise front shifting

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
These will make it a bitch to use with couplers, though. /quote]

Lots of dot fluid spilled in hotel rooms.

Well, if they are using valves like the Sram system, it might be possible. Else, you could take the brakes off when you split the frame?