What's new

Review Hydration Packs - Camelbak vs Osprey

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Camelbak vs Osprey bags... I have owned both and still own both. I have damaged both and just let them rot. However these things are getting expensive, so I have decided to try out the warranties on both.
I sent the following type email to both companies:

Dear company,
Blah, blah, blah, Bag is damaged, blah, blah
Regards,
Michael

Osprey Replies:
Michael,
Yes, we will certainly take care of it. If we determine that any of the damage to the pack isn't repairable we will replace the pack for free. It does not matter how the damage was caused. I did check with someone who has worked in repair for a while and she stated that they will likely be able to repair the damage you sent the picture of though they will not know for sure until the pack is in front of them. You are welcome to ship it in any way that works best for you. As far as returning it to you goes, we can ship postal to FPO addresses. From here all you will need to do is fill out the return information on our web form and submit it. You will receive an email that will give return instructions. You will want to make sure the website you are visiting is the US version before you submit the form since we have different customer service offices all over the world. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks, and have a great Holiday!

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/customer-support/return-authorization

Michael Gostlin | Customer Service Support Team
Osprey Packs, Inc. | Cortez, CO

Camelbak Replies:
Hello Michael,

This is Riteway Products Japan, Camelbak Japan distributor from Tokyo.
We apologize of any inconvenience or difficulties you faced due to the product failure happened.

We do not have any option to repair the products but at least we can replace from our available stock of KUDU backpacks.
(Please understand of that color choice would be limited...)
To take care of you, can you inform us below detail to proceed your warranty?

1/Model & Colors of the products: Please let us know the detail for the products affected.
Or can you provide the picture of the whole product for us to identify?

2/Place of purchase: Please let us know the retailer you purchased the product from.

3/Term of use: Please let us know how many actual month you have used the product after purchase?

Best regards,
Keisuke
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far so good with both companies.
I will update as there is information worthy of updating.
For the record, both companies replied in under 24 hours.

c1.jpgCam2.jpgCam1.jpg

o1.jpgo2.jpgo3.jpg

I use the same Osprey bag for snow shoeing. I paid a little extra because of the no questions asked lifetime warranty. So it's good to know they are true to their word.

I also bought MSR snowshoes with the warranty in mind. I broke the unbreakable. But the service from distributor Snowpeak was excellent. A temporary loan while I sent mine in for inspection and a brand new replacement pair of snowshoes within a week.

Similar experiences with Lynskey, Stages, 4iiii and Shimano. It's good to know companies like these are out there.

Andy

wow, great service from both companies.
I had similar with Smith optics, my 8 yr old glasses rubber pads on the temples and node bridge wore off. Full replacement after I paid postage to the States, model wasn't sold in Japan.

After following Osprey's directions, I just received the following Email:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Osprey Packs.

Before sending your Osprey product to us, please review the information HERE.

Below are the details you will need to send your item to us for repair.

Return Authorization Number: *********

This number needs to be written on the outside of the box. As long as you write this number on the box, you do not need to print this email and include it with your bag. If you need to update any information, please email us directly. Do not include a note with updates in the box.

Please be sure to remove all personal items from your pack before sending it to us. We will do our best to return any stray items we discover....unless it happens to be cash. That will be used to purchase beer for the repair staff on Friday afternoons!

The address where we have all our fun is:

Osprey Packs
115 Progress Circle
Cortez, CO 81321

Camelbak Response -

Michael san,

We have checked out and confirmed the detail with US Camelbak team.
We are willing to replace you for a new KUDU 18 bag, anyway the color option we can provide you are limited.
Here's what we can offer you;
https://www.riteway-jp.com/pa/camelbak/18891060.html
Only Charcoal/Atomic Blue color or Charcoal/Sulfur Spring(Yellow) color would be available.
Please choose which one you prefer.

As our company's business constitute we are not able to arrange an direct shipment to you, sorry about this...
Can you let us know your most convenient local retailer which we have business with?
You can check out from below URL;
https://www.riteway-jp.com/shop/dealerslist.html

Also, please let us know your phone NO# just in case.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Keisuke

Wow, that's one expensive backpack. I thought the Deuter TransAlpine Pro was expensive (at 22,000 ¥), but this puppy costs nearly twice. No wonder you expect good service from Camelbak.

Michael san,

Thanks for your reply.
Yesterday we have contacted Shimamura Cycle and sent out your replacement bag to them.
Please visit them to receive your bag replaced.

If you have any question or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Wish you enjoy the ride!

Best regards,
Keisuke

c1.jpg

The original was not required to return - so I now have spare buckles, bladder, etc...

While I liked Osprey's immediate "we will take care of it" response vs Camelbak's "verify you bought it from a real dealer" - Camelbak came through without a hitch.

Last edited:
That's great to hear. The "verify you bought it from a dealer" can sometimes leave people like us out in the rain, because we didn't buy it in the "right" country. In any case, I am glad Camelbak came through and replaced your pack. (Nice color by the way, yellow FTW.)

Great looking bag! My mum told me my OMM Classic 25 is under the tree. I'm really looking forward to riding out to the mountains and doing a bit of hiking/trail running with him in 2019:)

Update: Osprey has my bag still (shipping time is not their fault).
I received an email today that the winter is their peak time for repairs and it could take from 4-8 weeks before I receive my bag.
Not a biggie since I have several, however it is worth noting I have had my new camelbak for almost 6 weeks and did not have to ship the old one to them.

No real complaint against either company at this point - Even with the wait, a free repair on a bag that didn't require a receipt (although I have it) is still comforting.

Good news! Your repair is on its way – here's the tracking information we promised to send.

Ship Date:
Tracking Number: #####​

Thanks again for shopping with us. To ensure a hassle-free experience, our customer service team is waiting for any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. Here's some information about our All Mighty Guarantee and Return Policy:

All Mighty Guarantee - Any Reason, Any Product, Any Era
Osprey will repair any damage or defect for any reason free of charge – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it. We proudly stand behind this guarantee, so much so that it bears the signature of company founder and head designer, Mike Pfotenhauer.

Osprey Return Policy
It's easy to return any Osprey product. You have 30 days from the day you receive your order to initiate a return. We can only accept returns for items purchased at osprey.com or by phone. All items must be received in their original, unused condition including all original packaging. We will issue a refund within 7-10 business days of receipt for the purchase price to the credit card or PayPal account used to make this purchase. Osprey Return Policy.

Your satisfaction is our highest priority. If you have any questions, comments or concerns we'd love to hear them. Find your order number and contact our customer service department at [email protected] or by phone at 866-284-7830, Monday - Friday, 7am - 6pm MST.

Thank you,
Osprey Customer Service Team​

The Osprey Bag is back in my possession. Other than time, it was relatively pain free. The bag was patched everywhere there was damage. If anything, the bag has character now. :D

Now that this is all done and the bags are in my possession.... my personal take.

This round:
Camelbak wins.
They referred me to the local distributor and with simple proof of purchase, a new bag was sent to me. No money out of pocket and the ordeal was over in just about a week.

Osprey loses simply due to time. I don't feel paying postage to get them the bag was unreasonable, and while Camelbak didn't require I come out of pocket, I am not holding this against Osprey. The repairs appear to be solid and if I was attached to my bag for whatever reason, a repair could be a bonus over a replacement.

-----------------
Overall - I think Osprey actually wins. The lack of required proof of purchase was great. No fuss. I don't know if I can produce a receipt in 5 year or ten years to get a camelbak repair. This goes a LONG way if you spend money on packs and expect them to last. Just by being an osprey product, you get the repairs for free.

Where's the picture?
You're probably the one posting the most picture. But then when writing about how you bag got character after being repaired, not a single photo.
What a teaser;)

Anyway, thanks for sharing this story. It certainly is useful information for anyone considering buying a bag from one of those companies
in future.

I will get a pic. Mail arrived just before family time. then out of town a few days. i wont be home until tonight.

And here it is....

raptor-jpg.17196

Attachments

• Raptor.jpg
    Raptor.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 21
I can see how someone who had done an "epic" adventure with their pack can appreciate the repair vs replacement. I just use them as necessary equipment so I have no attachment. As i said before, in the long run, I appreciate Osprey's "no questions asked" policy. While the Camelbak is new and the process was hassle free, I can see the need to do this another dozen or so times.

--- Side note - I like the Camelbak reservoir & bite valve better too!

Back
Top Bottom