What's new

Help Hybrid hydraulic brakes

I have no idea but my 10 yr old BB7s on my road bike also need an upgrade so please report back.
they do review well but....

I have the BB7s as well. They are not bad, but I want more.
The TRP hybrids look good, but the price tag is hefty for a guess, but reasonable if they work.

I ordered them - I have a 17% discount with Wiggle right now, so 101USD to order them (each).
So $200 - we will see if it is worth it or money wasted.

They have shipped... so it is just the waiting game.
I am also very impatient. Luckily I have other bikes to keep me busy....

The brakes arrived today and have been mounted.
The calipers were easy to mount, however I did need to buy a new rear brake cable. The set up here requires about 2cm more cable than I had.
So I moved the rear cable to the front and slapped a new on on the rear.

I need to install the new rotors still, but that can wait for now.
Overall, they look well made and the concept works.
Due to the rain, I have not taken them out yet to test.
I will probably wait until I get the new rotors on anyway.

22519636_10155685001882808_7236459359102328341_n.jpg

22365154_10155685001937808_6854421347078628208_n.jpg

22310297_10155685001687808_2632724661076159269_n.jpg

22406164_10155685001742808_2119043802626287039_n.jpg

22405995_10155685001787808_3738730316145748223_n.jpg

22489921_10155685001842808_6632806880467727715_n.jpg

They are a bit. The were not obnoxiously heavy, considering there is a master cylinder built into the caliper.

Attachments

• 20171016_155239.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
Initial Impression...
The brakes are not fully bedded - however they are already giving me more power than the BB7 setup I had.
They do not in any way compare to my MTB setups. You can feel the cable flex when braking hard. It doesn't feel like "mushy" brake feel, it just kinda feels vague on hard braking.
As I get the brake bedded, I expect the grab to be fair significant prior to feeling this. I am looking forward to really testing them after a while. I think in the end, they will be a nice upgrade. BUT too soon to really tell how good they can be.

interested with this one as i wanted to changer my brakes on the gt grade and looked into how it was bled.

found on youtube :

Once I get a couple dry days to commute, I can form an opinion.
My initial feeling is optimistic. But one 10km ride with only 1 hill didn't give me enough time to fully bed them in.
If I had a flat bar, I would prefer shimano brakes - SLX or XT. They are cheaper than this option and better.

As for the rode brake hydraulics, if I went that route, I would end up replacing my entire drive train and that just wasn't what I wanted to do at this point.
I will follow up after a few more dry rides.

I snuck out today after work to "go pay the internet bill" with the bike. I must have made a wrong turn on the way home......

22519606_10155698644367808_2142000761575504885_n.jpg

Of course the wife queries where I was.... I pull out the receipt and say I paid the internet bill......

I absolutely have the rear brake bedded. The front needs some more work.. but I was bringing the rear up while braking moderately. The issue is just the very slow bite.
I will need to tighten the cables up as they are stretching (expected).

OK - front brakes are dialed in and the cable tension adjusted.
The directions that come with the brakes left too much free play in the brake levers for my liking.
I made it tighter than their recommendation and cable stretch pretty much put it back to the original setting.
Since I didn't like it the first time, I adjusted again. There was a little more stretch, but the barrel adjusters compensated.
I can pull; the rear up with just 2 fingers and the lever play is how I like it.
These brakes do not feel the same as my MTB brakes, however the improvement justifies the cost.

As this bike has gotten upgraded, the brakes were the weak link. That is no more.

Today was the test... I commuted to work today in the wet.

I was a little nervous being unfamiliar with the brakes in the rain... would they modulate well?
I did not push my limits on the way down... however I had no problem keeping with cars on the descent.
The brakes were predictable and minimal effort was slowing the bike significantly.

That pretty much solves any doubt I had... the brakes are solid!

I will admit I belive hydraulic brakes from top to bottom would be better... but if you don't want to change out your shifters and go through the effort... this is a worthwhile upgrade.
My wife's salsa has flat bars... for the price, I will purchase MTB brakes and save money (shimano M7000) if I want to upgrade her setup (which I won't anytime soon).

I think I am done reporting on the brakes unless anyone has specific questions on them.

@kiwisimon @mrkamot

The brakes are broken in and solid and I have adjusted to using them how I am most comfortable.

In the rain, the tires are now the limit. The braking survived the wet with minimal change to feel... the tires squirmed a bit and that became the confidence braking point.
So yet again, another plus for the brakes.

Today was the test... I commuted to work today in the wet.

I was a little nervous being unfamiliar with the brakes in the rain... would they modulate well?
I did not push my limits on the way down... however I had no problem keeping with cars on the descent.
The brakes were predictable and minimal effort was slowing the bike significantly.

That pretty much solves any doubt I had... the brakes are solid!

I will admit I belive hydraulic brakes from top to bottom would be better... but if you don't want to change out your shifters and go through the effort... this is a worthwhile upgrade.
My wife's salsa has flat bars... for the price, I will purchase MTB brakes and save money (shimano M7000) if I want to upgrade her setup (which I won't anytime soon).

I think I am done reporting on the brakes unless anyone has specific questions on them.

@kiwisimon @mrkamot

I am replying to this due to the thread in the sale section on the same brakes....

Updates: After a year and half on the Salsa (sometimes with a trailer going down a 9% grade) these brakes are 100% broken in. :)
Looking back it was the right purchase and am still stoked on them. I am no longer convinced they are inferior to full hydraulics. In the stand, you can tell a difference in feel, but only after the lever has been squeeze to the point of 'locked up' do you feel it.

Another Update: I did upgrade my wifes flat bar to SLX brakes even tho I said I wouldn't. ;)

Back
Top Bottom