What's new

Hub Dynamo for USB power

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
On my most recent Half-Fast ride I discussed dynamo hubs with Tim (GSAstuto) who made me an offer to rebuild my front wheel (20", 451 size) with a Shimano dynamo hub, keeping the same rim and tyre. My Bike Friday road bike (Pocket Rocket) originally came with 105 hubs, which I wanted to to replace with a dynamo hub to never run out of power for my smartphone. I use it on my bike for GPS-logging rides and for navigating via Google Maps.

Tim ordered a couple of dynamos from Shimano. When he got the DH-3N80 I rode to his house, left him with the wheel and returned by train. The wheel was ready the next day, so I took the train there with my bike bag, installed the rebuilt wheel and rode home again. :)

Here are some pictures:

IMG_1198.JPG

Here you can see the contacts for the AC current output, which can be hooked up to lights and/or a USB power adapter:

IMG_1197.JPG

The 3N80 is based on the mechanics of Ultegra hubs and weighs about 340 g more than the regular 105 hub. It is is a lighter version of the DH-3N72 that it effectively replaces.

IMG_1193.JPG

There is also a disc brake compatible version, the DH-3D80. Both are available in 32 and 36 spoke versions.

My first impression is that the ride feels smooth, with no noticeable increase in resistance compared to the basic hub, at least when no consumer is connected. The 105 hub is now sitting on my spare parts shelf.

My next step is going to be to buy a USB power adapter to run off the dynamo.

The 3N80 gets quite high reviews all through the boards - it compares favorably to the SON at about one third the price @ 10,000 yen. Shimano also makes cheaper (and heavier) Dynamo hubs (Alfine, etc) - but this is the one to get if you're looking for an economical alternative to the SON. And with the Ultegra internals, it should provide many km of smooth riding.

One of the other key points about the Shimano version is that it comes in either rim brake or discbrake version. So, it can easily be built into a standard wheel fitting most any 100mm fork and brake combination.

Some relevant comments copied from the December 2011 thread:

Hi Stuart,

there is a range of KECHARGER models, which mainly differ by the output cable. The following prices are German retail prices including VAT (19%):

USB-A (like a PC port): EUR 60
MiniUSB: EUR 50
MicroUSB: EUR 50
iPhone 3GS/4: EUR 70

Shipping within Germany: EUR 4 -or- with charge on delivery (COD) option: EUR 14.

The current exchange rate is about 100 yen per EUR, which makes it easy to convert that to yen.

I decided to go for the USB-A model as any USB device with a cable that can connect to a PC port will work with this (except for the iPhone, which requires the iPhone-specific model).

The unit is 80 mm long and 25 mm in diameter, its weight is 40 g.

I'll test it when I get back and if it's any good, maybe we can get a couple as the prices look reasonable and it doesn't suffer from featuritis (multiple output ports, selectable output voltages, etc) as some other much pricier and bulkier units.

This looks pretty good, too -- http://www.brocott.co.uk/electronic...p-1017.html?osCsid=v0fes1dkk3fbv3ei763g9e6rn5

But, the German designed one will fit inside a tube (very nice) and design is more sophisticated than most.

iPhone requires special pin voltages for the internal charging circuit to activate - they're published on the net somewhere -- that <shouldn't> bother other devices -- but , I haven't tested it.

I rather like the idea of having a cache battery as well. This can charge up and then any subsequent charging to the device would be via the cache battery - or , if output drops too low, then switched back to the Dynamo supply.

My personal feature spec:

1) Internal mounting.
2) Multiple output bus - namely for Lighting and / or Charging.
3) Remote Status LED
4) Water proof
5) Voltage and Amperage regulated
6) Pulse Charging for the LiON

Some other cabling options perhaps like this --

http://www.gomadic.com/garmin-edge-800-coiled-usb-cable.html

Or simply use a Duracel combo charger...

Ideas? New Thread?

I want LIGHTS, Keitai Charging and Garmin - in any combination.

Shimano 3N80 + Phillips Saferide LED 60 Lux

I've been very happy with my Dynamo hub setup over the first month -- if you want the charger capability or long ride light, I strongly recommend you take Tim up on his offer.

The Phillips is a great light for commuting (and will be great for Audax rides), and I don't notice any extra drag from the dynamo hub when riding -- regardless of whether the light is on or off. I've been leaving it on for my morning ride into town, tilted up. Some people see me coming up their left hand side and actually drift away from the curb to let me through.

Of course, the drag is noticeable if you spin the wheel when you are not on the bike, but the tests suggest it is something like a 0.1 kph difference at cruising speed.

Thanks for the info on the LED chargers -- I will definitely get one for use on longer rides. The Phillips Saferide light has a second wire that can be fed to a rear tail light or a charger, and the 3N80 should produce enough juice for both.

I would still like to get one of the Taiwanese SP dynamos -- either the switchable one or the very light one that looks like it also has lower resistance than the Shimano -- and build it into one of Tim's 50mm carbon clincher rims, maybe with a disk brake -- to get the fastest, baddest Audax/Brevet wheel and lighting system on the planet.

For those that are interested in upping the lumens of their lights there is a street vendor in Akihabara that sells "weapon" grade Cree bulbs at ridiculously cheap prices.

These have a very good light spread that gives incredible light coverage and due to the LED formation can pretty much give coverage of the whole road. While not really suitable for "battery only" use these bulbs would be fantastic to use with the dynamo setup.

Would interesting to see if we can mod a Phillips with an upgraded led..

Your 玄関 is disgustingly clean, where is the melted snow and crap off the mountain bike shoes.

I'll pass the compliment to my wife who did the end-of-year cleaning ;)

What kind of power do these things put out? Can I run some lights on my trailer as well as the lights on my bike from just one dynamo hub on my bike, or should I build some new wheels for my trailer with at least one dynamo hub :rolleyes: :D

What kind of power do these things put out? Can I run some lights on my trailer as well as the lights on my bike from just one dynamo hub on my bike, or should I build some new wheels for my trailer with at least one dynamo hub :rolleyes: :D

The rated power is 3 W but I wonder if that isn't just at a given speed such as 15 km/h.

Your mileage will vary depending on how efficient your lights are (LED vs light bulbs) and how bright you want the lights to be. Usually the bicycle rear light draws only a fraction of the power (such as 1/5) of the front lights. Red LEDs tend to put out more lumen per watt than white LEDs (I think about double).

The parcel delivery guy just rang the door bell and delivered the USB adapter. Here are pictures:

IMG_1302.JPG

Holding my Google Nexus S with the USB adapter in my hand.

IMG_1301.JPG

A short cable from the sealed unit provides the USB-A socket to plug in standard USB cables while a longer thin cable will connect to the hub dynamo AC power connector.

Can't wait to see this in action! An Integrated seatpost version is just begging!

I'll need another small part before I can use the dynamo and charger. The wire from the adapter ends in bare copper strands while the dynamo has two pins for a plug.

Looks like I will need to get myself a dynamo connector cap and cover (コネクターキャップ&カバー, part code Y2SS98030).

Looks great!

I just rode down to Zushi and back on my Lrrb, with my iPhone guiding me on my merry way, had to change out batteries way too often, so now I've decided to build a Dynamo hubbed front wheel for the Lrrb as well as the Mixer!

Tim, any parts come in yet? :D

I have a little more time on my hands than I usually do..... :eek:

Haha! Well, I have lots of spokes. Hubs are in stock and rims are available. Stu, I think your idea of trailer dynamo is great. The you have 2 power sources. 1 for the lights and another for your bike / computer. As a note- I wished I had this on my cx discovery bike. I ran out of juice on lights and garmin. Not good.

Haha! Well, I have lots of spokes. Hubs are in stock and rims are available. Stu, I think your idea of trailer dynamo is great. The you have 2 power sources. 1 for the lights and another for your bike / computer. As a note- I wished I had this on my cx discovery bike. I ran out of juice on lights and garmin. Not good.

For the Lrrb I have the rim, just need the hub and the spokes and nipples, or do you think I should just leave that wheel alone and build a completely new one?

For the Mixer I do need the whole ball of wax, rim, hub, spokes and nipples.

I'll give you a shout tomorrow :D

I got my new front wheel from Tim S today....

26_inch_dynamo_hub.jpg

This will go on the Mixer 8 that I use for trailer tugging duties, I'm just waiting on the 26 inch 36 hole Mavic rim then we will build up the rear wheel.

I also ordered in new tires and tubes and a few lights for the Mixer and the trailer.

I ordered in the Phillips SafeRide LED light, the 40 Lux unit in Black....
View attachment 993
and three of the Phillips SafeRide Rear Lights....
View attachment 994
One for the Mixer 8 and two for the trailer, that is why I went for the 40 Lux light not the brighter 60 Lux as I was worried that the one Dynamo hub would not be able to run the 60 Lux light, and three of the rear lights, I think it should be able to run the 40 Lux light and three rear lights.

After I get all of this going, I'll then get to work on a Dynamo front wheel for the Lrrb, with the main focus of that build being to charge my iPhone for longer rides!

Lrrb = Long ride road Bike. I finally figured out the acronym ;)

I returned to Japan yesterday, with the USB adapter in my luggage. I'll just need that 200 yen plug to wire to the cable to connect it to the dynamo hub now.

Lrrb = Long ride road Bike. I finally figured out the acronym ;)

I returned to Japan yesterday, with the USB adapter in my luggage. I'll just need that 200 yen plug to wire to the cable to connect it to the dynamo hub now.

Welcome back!

I guess others have a different name for this kind of bike, but none seemed to fit, it is not a touring bike, it is not a racer, it is for riding a fairly long distance (for me) in a day, not over night camping etc, so I made up Lrrb, what can I say, I'm odd :confused: ;)

I too need the little connector thingy, I will need two of them. I fear if I go to Y's they will not know what I'm talking about, and will take several weeks to source it :rolleyes: The thing is if you order it online somewhere I bet the shipping for a 200 yen part will be 500 yen:eek: I'm going to check at my local Mama Chari bike shop, maybe he has some, as these Dynamo hubs seem to be on just above every mamachari sold now! :bike:

Back
Top Bottom