What's new

HOWTO - Cheap Bike Bag for the train

EspressoDan

Warming-Up
Jul 5, 2015
Hi All,

I though I'd share for posterity a method for making a cheap bike bag for trains that might be useful for visitors (like me) who want to take a bike around the place. Total cost is around 300 yen. You can purchase a proper fabric bag in Hands (etc) for between 5-8,000 but for a short-term visitor who only plans a couple of trips this will be more economical. This method is pretty obvious to anybody who lives in Tokyo, doesn't have any positive asthetic features, but it's cheap and might help you out.

You need to go to the 100 yen store and buy a large scooter cover, tape and re-usable cut-to-length velcro cable tidy strips.

Just remove the wheels, velcro them to the frame, remove the saddle (or lower, depending on height) then tape the whole thing up in the bag.

ic65cn.jpg

ku4k8.jpg

i608dw.jpg

13yfko7.jpg

2na43sl.jpg

No handles to carry, but you can easily grab the top-tube. It's cheap and disposable. Don't try to save the scooter cover, it's not worth it. Just bin it and say a prayer to the gods of the Environment. Either carry another bag and some spare tape with you for the return journey or stop in at the nearest 100 yen shop for a new one near the station.

Hope this is useful to somebody.

Dan

Last edited:
Very useful.
Nice write-up and instructions.
I'm sure some people will try it out including me.
Many thanks.

I've actually got away with this without the need to remove the wheels on the two occasions I forgot my bike bag. Not saying I recommend that for an regular approach, but the 100 yen bike cover straight over the bike is possible if you make sure it covers everything

Ive done the big garbage bag taped over just the back wheel and drive train a few times. In fact that is how I use my regular bike bag anyway. Just front wheel off, just covering the drive train and rear wheel.

Back
Top Bottom