What's new

Howdy from Virginia Beach

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
First post, so I think an intro might be the way to go...

I will be moving to Yokohama next fall, so I am mostly interested in getting some insight as to what I should expect bicycling-wise.

I am currently on a Soma Groove 26" mtb. It's a good bike with a decent build. XT/XTR/Chris King bits/Fox/etc... The bike has been in constant upgrade mode since 1999 when it started out as a Jamis Dragon. I believe the only parts left that are original are the XTR shifters and rear derailleur. I am pretty much sure through the years all the rest has been upgraded.

I also have a Scott CX Team. I wanted a decent commuter for the local roads and just could not find a good replacement for my steel old Bianchi Eros. The LBS had a CX in my size he wanted to blow out... So I picked it up fairly cheap. I have done one mountain cross race on it (Devils Backbone Mountain Cross) here in Virginia. I successfully got my whipped since I don't even live near a hill.

From 1998-2000 I worked in two different bicycle shops he at the beach. I love riding bicycles, not so much working on them. - at least not when they are not mine. :)

I am eying a Salsa Vaya to take over my street/light touring chores...

----

For the most part, I only ride my MTB two or three times a month. My Cross Bike gets use for most chores within 5 miles of the house. I run more than I cycle... but I like cycling better. I am still not sure how that happens.

You guys know the conditions... good choice?

Anyone?

Opinion on the Vaya? - I am 6'2" - so I am guessing I need to bring a bike with me vs looking around town once I move.

Opinion on the Vaya?
Should be perfect for a day or a month of cycling. If you like it and ride it, it's the best bike in the world!

Welcome to the forums.

Virginia Beach...

... I used to live there too for a few years and purchased a bike at Conte's in Norfolk. If you are by chance military, seems like half VaBeach is, you may also want to make contact to these guys:

yokotacyclingclub.com It is an USAF club in the area.

If not, have a great time in Yokohama, it is an awesome city. May want to think about bringing a few spare parts with you for you bikes as things are pretty costly in Japan.

Thanks for the welcome!

I am a Navy brat - so family is from NY, but I am from here (Virginia Beach).
I worked for Conte's for a couple years after college - I bounced from store to store, but I worked at the old store in Ghent for a while.

My fiance is DoD and works on Negishi. I am a software developer and not quite sure what I am going to do when I get there. My work has extended an offer for me to work remotely, but want me to keep my EST hours. Not sure I want to work nights in Japan.

I have been to Yokohama twice and done tons of walking around. Megan live near Moto-Machi. I have seen some nicer bikes, but few and far between. Maybe it is just where I was at the time. I mentioned it to my fiance and she is the one that found this site and forwarded to me.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I should expect when I get there?

Traffic differences? Rules or Laws I should be aware of?
Availability of parts? tubes, tires?

Very little mountain biking, lots of road riding. (unless of course you are prepared to travel for it)

Road traffic laws are pretty much the same as the US but drive/ride on the oppersite side of the road.

If you only have the choice to bring 1 bike then bring the road bike. Lots of good bike stores in Yokohama so parts and spares are easy to come by...remember this is the home of Shimano and Yokohama is tyhe second largest city in Japan you're not in the boonies mate :D (oh and a lot more bike freindly IMHO than Tokyo)

Expect Japan to be totally different to what you see on US tv and what you read in comic books and see in movies. But if you have been here twice already then you pretty much know what to expect right?

Yes, I think I have the general idea of what to expect. People wise - I seem to have met nothing but fantastic people.

The last time I came over for my birthday... the earth shook. So I got to see how everyone reacted to catastrophe. Then the rest of that visit was overshadowed. I ended up celebrating my birthday at 'The Hub'

I did look around for bike shops - not too hard mind you, but a little bit. I found the Yokohama brewery and stopped looking. :)

I will be living at the Leyton House. I love the location for the train station, getting to Negishi, the ballpark, the harbor etc... Chinatown has been fun to explore as well. I will be back over this spring, is there anywhere in particular I should look for bike shops?

BTW - anyone have hookups for a .NET c# developer to find work?

So... I just got back to the states after spending a couple weeks in Yokohama, Tokyo and Osaka. I move there in a few months, so it was a little different checking things out.

Things I found in Yokohama...
Y's bike shop near Landmark tower.
Thrash Zone (great beer!)
Yokohama Brewery
The Taprooom...

Wait... I see a trend here..

Anyhow, looking forward to being there for good.

Back
Top Bottom