What's new

Howdy from down south

Navy Roller

Speeding Up
Oct 13, 2013
Navy guy here, located about 45 kms south of y'all. (See, I am from the south, I speak like it!)

I've been in Japan for about two months, love the area. I've biked south of the base out here, following the coastline around. It is beautiful, although quite windy. (It seems you fight the wind both ways, can't explain it. . .)

Anyway, I am a prior bike messenger. Nothing too serious, I just enjoy biking for exercise and the like. I've been to a couple of bike stores, Y's in Yokohama (very poor service), Nalsima Friends in Shibuya (cool, found a size 48 shoe there!), and a couple of local places. Don't get me started on the Bianchi store in Jiyugaoka. I take a 59-61 cm and they only had 56s.

In an odd turn of events, I found my dream bike (Bianchi 928) out in San Diego on Craigslist. The price is right, the guy works for the Marine Corps as a civilian and I feel I can trust him. I have a very knowledgable friend going over to inspect the bike. But I am not sure how to get it out here. Any thoughts? I've heard everything from 100-400 dollars to ship it. I've had people also tell me it is next to impossible to a get a bike stateside here. But you guys seem like you've been around (in a good way), so I thought I would ping this forum. . .

APO it to yourself in two boxes, two boxes keeps the weight down and makes it more manageable, depending on your budget you could also just buy a frame cause all the other stuff is easily available here. Other on line retailers also ship whole bikes to Japan. Plenty of options. You can also buy larger size bikes here in Japan, check out Specialized, they have 61cm frames and bikes.

If you have a friend that can send it to your FPO account, no worries at all.
I have a bike on its way now from Ft Eustis to Negishi.
If USPS will ship it, no problem.
Just make sure you have the receipt for shipping so you can register it with CFAY.
You may be able to find a way to MPS it... but I am not sure about that.

Great news, thanks guys. I have an FPO address out here and am looking at having the seller send it to that. I like the idea of two boxes.

I am assuming USPS is the way to go? Does anyone have any experience with the other carriers? Also, what about sending it in a hard case, made of plastic? I've seen them before, but maybe I am being paranoid. It is carbon fiber and I would hate to see it damaged.

USPS is the ONLY way to go if you want to ship it to FPO.
Is you use UPS, it goes to Richmond California and then transferred to USPS with no tracking info and it is not priority. (called UPS Innovations)
So expect 2-5 weeks from that point.

USPS priority takes 5-8 days.

------
If packaged well, the hard case is not needed.

Thanks Bloaker, all good gouge. What do you think the cost will be in shipping it? I've been told anywhere from $100-400. Also, what is MPSing it? I've heard the term and I am drawing a blank. And my google fu appears to be mysteriously weak today. . .

And thanks too, Kiwismon. I know a super military-friendly bike shop out there that can inspect the bike and ship it.

Military Postal Service, rgr. The guy I am buying the bike from works for the Marine Corps, so this might be ideal. How does he get it MPS'd?

You may be able to find a way to MPS it... but I am not sure about that.

The not sure about that - this is the issue.
I have not used it for anything big, but I have sent things to Okinawa.
You use the postal system, but from FPO to FPO - it is free.
I had to has the guy at the Post Office how to do it.

You need to look into term of use.
Insurance? Priority? Etc... I don't remember.

Okay, I will suggest it to the seller. He has an on-base address, so this may solve my expense issues. . .

Back
Top Bottom