What's new

How to get Bike to Wakkanai

Dilbert

Speeding Up
Jul 5, 2022
Happy new year all, I'm starting to plan a trans Hokkaido trip (one way Wakkanai to Hakodate around 2 weeks) and have been enjoying it so far. If it matters I'm going cycle camping, gonna be hauling around 15-20kg of stuff with me shooting for start in mid july or early august. I've been researching ways to get my bike from Tokyo to Wakkanai Hokkaido. I was wondering if anyone on here can share their experience shipping or taking their bikes with them for a cycling trip. I know all about rinko bags on trains and have done that multiple times. I was wondering about flying and shipping bikes by post. From what I understand the total dimensions of check in baggage for most airlines is 200cm if I take my bike as regular checked baggage. I was wondering if anyone has experience with oversize luggage and how to book that (I would probably fly JAL or ANA)?

I also was considering using yamato transport or similar company. Not sure if its reasonable or even if hotels in japan accept packages as large as a bike.

Cheers

Sagawa is your best bet for oversize and you can pick up from their depot or get them to drop it off at a hotel when you arrive. From Tokyo a bike to Wakkanai will cost 10,900.
How are you going there?
I went from Tokyo years ago from Niigata to Otaru by ferry (bike was 2,000) and then biked up to Wakkanai in a couple of long days (sun comes up early and goes down late). Went down the east coast to Hakodate myself. Good trip

So you plan your trip in August?

If you're gonna be going by the coast factor wind direction. The plots for Aug and sept have the wind coming from SSE.
that was my experience with a typhoon thrown in (this was October) when I was camping at the windiest spot in Japan.
Got very wet that night.

Sagawa is your best bet for oversize and you can pick up from their depot or get them to drop it off at a hotel when you arrive. From Tokyo a bike to Wakkanai will cost 10,900.
How are you going there?
I went from Tokyo years ago from Niigata to Otaru by ferry (bike was 2,000) and then biked up to Wakkanai in a couple of long days (sun comes up early and goes down late). Went down the east coast to Hakodate myself. Good trip
Thank you I will check out Sagawa.

I haven't decided how I'm getting to Wakkani. I have lots of miles saved so I want to fly but if taking my bike on the train is easier I will do that.
Ferry interesting...never seriously considered but will check it out.
I'm planning routes now this is generally what I'm thinking. Im not really interested in conquering mountains so I'm trying to avoid them.
Screenshot_20230110-113736.png

I'm planning routes now this is generally what I'm thinking. Im not really interested in conquering mountains so I'm trying to avoid them.
this was my route. I obviously also don't like hills

YMMV but I skipped Rishiri Is 利尻島, figured the day could be spent better elsewhere.

Attachments

• wwwwwwwwwwwww.png
    wwwwwwwwwwwww.png
    474.6 KB · Views: 8
BTW I did look into that island excursion from Wakkanai, note the ferry timings.

Ferry from wakkanai to rishiri island 52km dia, cycling path in north approx 5h window
ferry 2550+1560bike.

this was my route. I obviously also don't like hills

YMMV but I skipped Rishiri Is 利尻島, figured the day could be spent better elsewhere.
How many days cycling was it for you?

From what I understand the total dimensions of check in baggage for most airlines is 200cm if I take my bike as regular checked baggage. I was wondering if anyone has experience with oversize luggage and how to book that (I would probably fly JAL or ANA)?
Did you check the JAL and ANA websites? All you need to know is right there (links below). I've taken a folding bike when flying domestic with JAL a few times. I just wrapped it in lots of bubble wrap and checked it in. No problem at all. It was handed back to me at a door near the luggage carousel each time.

Yeah, I've flown from Tokyo to Hokkaido with my road bike as check-in luggage for no extra money with ANA.
You have to pack the bike down pretty small into a soft case, a cardboard box-type case, or something similar. A lot of people use one of these: Amazon Link
The no extra money part probably has a weight limit of 20 kg though.

i was fit back then had a couple of rest days and it took 16-17 days. Aimed at about 100-120 kms a day and I usually rode 5-6 hours a day. Spent my afternoons cruising around and prepping dinner/breakfast.
fine weather or not I had to get back to kanto in 24 days. took 5-6 hilly days to get to Saitama from Aomori.
Hokkaido was mostly rolling coastline. wide roads and friendly drivers.

i was fit back then had a couple of rest days and it took 16-17 days. Aimed at about 100-120 kms a day and I usually rode 5-6 hours a day. Spent my afternoons cruising around and prepping dinner/breakfast.
fine weather or not I had to get back to kanto in 24 days. took 5-6 hilly days to get to Saitama from Aomori.
Hokkaido was mostly rolling coastline. wide roads and friendly drivers.
Are you saying you not in top shape these days?

Back
Top Bottom