How sugar affects the body in motion

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
Was just reading this article about the effects of sugar and the type of sugar (fructose/glucose) on people who exercise a lot. QI

`A cluster of new studies suggests that people who regularly work out don’t need to worry unduly about consuming fructose or other sugars. In certain circumstances, they may even find the sweet stuff beneficial....Over all, Dr. Johnson said, the “current science suggests that exercise exerts a positive physiological influence” on some of the same metabolic pathways that sugar harms. “Exercise may make you resistant to the undesirable effects of sugar,” he said.`
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/how-sugar-affects-the-body-in-motion/

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
If you exercise daily, you'll burn off any sugar relatively quickly without any detriment to the body except possibly your teeth.

I did 123km on Monday with no food or sugar and at the 112km mark I almost passed out. :D (lack of sugar )

A Family Mart stop at the 115km mark, half a snickers, half a raisin bun and some pocari sweat and I was cured...

It's having sugar and being sedentary that causes problems.

When you start any exercise you burn the sugar in the system. When the sugar is gone your body has to look for fat & protein to burn... all carbs are basically turned into sugar by the time they get into your blood stream.
Natural sugars from fruits get in quicker and burn quicker...

Don't hold back...

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5461/2

PowerBar Performance Energy bar — key features:
Provides more energy to muscles with C2MAX
Contains 200mg sodium, a key electrolyte
The original energy bar
Low in fat, with 8–9g of protein per bar
No preservatives or artificial flavors
*Currell K, Jeukendrup A. Superior Endurance Performance with Ingestion of Multiple Transportable Carbohydrates. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2008; 40: 275–281.
Nutrition Facts
Serving size 1 bar
Calories 230
Calories from fat 35
* Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Amount/Serving
% DV*
Total Fat 3.5g
5%
Sat Fat 0.5g
2%
Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg
0%
Sodium 200mg
8%
Amount/Serving
% DV*
Potassium 105mg
3%
Total Carb 45g
15%
Dietary Fiber 2g
8%
Sugars 25g

Protein 8g
16%
Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 70% • Calcium 25% • Iron 25% • Thiamin 15% • Riboflavin 10% • Vitamin B6 •
Ingredients
C2 MAX CARBOHYDRATE BLEND (ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANE JUICE SYRUP, MALTODEXTRIN, FRUCTOSE, DEXTROSE), OAT BRAN, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, RICE CRISPS (MILLED RICE, RICE BRAN, ROSEMARY EXTRACT), BROWN RICE FLOUR, APPLE POWDER, CANOLA OIL, AND 2% OR LESS OF: NATURAL FLAVOR, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SALT, CINNAMON, NONFAT MILK, ALMOND BUTTER, PEANUT FLOUR. MINERALS: CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, FERROUS FUMARATE (IRON). VITAMINS: ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), VITAMIN B6 HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1). CONTAINS ALMOND, MILK, PEANUT AND SOY INGREDIENTS. MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO PROCESSES WHEAT

Snickers
Snickers ingredients are: milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, skimmed milk, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor), peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, skimmed milk, butter, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lactose (a milk product), salt, egg whites and artificial flavo

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 bar (2 oz) (57.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 271Calories from Fat 122
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13.6g21%
Saturated Fat 5.2g26%
Trans Fat 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.7g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.5g
Cholesterol 7mg2%
Sodium 140mg6%
Total Carbohydrates 34.5g12%
Dietary Fiber 1.3g5%
Sugars 28.8g
Protein 4.3g
Vitamin A 2% • Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 5% • Iron 2%

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
You can make your own for far less and work just as well or better --

1) Nutella
2) Oatmeal
3) Whey powder
4) Eggwhites
5) Karo Corn Syrip (increases carb load - optional)

Mix the nutella and eggwhites together and microwave or double boil so its warm and creamy. Add in the dry ingediants and then just let it sit in the fridge. Voila, power bars. And ANYTHING with Nutella is far more 'pro' .

trad

Maximum Pace
Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
chocolate milk is your friend (if you are not lactose intolerant). Nutritional profile is similar to powerbar. Its cheaper and gets absorbed more quickly

Izo

Warming-Up
Oct 20, 2010
Wakoshi
I do like the Power Bars though! I've just got 25 each of High 5 Sport Bar, and GO Bar - both vile, but the upside of that is I won't compulsively snack on them! And I won't be putting in a second order.

Why I'm so interested is I am climbing Pik Lenin 7134m in July and we have to take and carry our food ... 6,000 calories a day. I have serious airline weight problems with the climbing/camping gear before even thinking of food. I can buy Snickers in Krygyzstan for probably half the price I can here or I can pay overweight on an extra 2kg of Power Bars. The Snickers offer more calories per gram, but if they are crap calories what is the point?

A climbing friend swears by a litre of protein drink for breakfast as appetite is greatly diminished at altitude and a serious level of liquid needs to be consumed. Sitting at sea level, a protein drink doesn't really appeal and I never drink milk.

If anyone has suggestions for high calorie, low weight (mass not such a problem) food would love to hear them.

The taste trials, and freezing trials continue ....

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
In any market in Krygyzstan you should be able to pick up a few boxes of dates. These are the ultimate endurance food, packed with calories and vitamins. Iranian ones from Bam are best.