What's new

How much riding?

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Just wondering how much riding you need to do (per day or per week) before you start to notice a difference / see an improvement?

Structured quality training > quantity

1 hour structured intervals > than 40k of constant effort

etc etc... I know you don't listen to me though ;)

Just wondering how much riding you need to do (per day or per week) before you start to notice a difference / see an improvement?
You cardio is fine right? I recall you do a heap of running. How are you measuring your progress / lack of progress? What are you currently doing but if you are serious @andywood has a coach that gets him great results.
this. Depends how much time you have available to train I guess

1 hour structured intervals > than 40k of constant effort

etc etc... I know you don't listen to me though ;)
Sorry, should have said that I'm not looking for advice. Just interested in what level of workout / distance people start to see a difference at. I know what works for me but just wanted to see about other people's experiences

In the first year it is often said, the more you ride the better you become.

I certainly experienced that.

Structured training then becomes important.

Build training. 3 weeks of progressively harder training followed by a week of rest.

During the three hard weeks you will be tired. It is after the rest week and "adaptation" that you notice the performance gains.

That's the basic theory and I can say I really notice the difference.

Ride hard. Then ride easy. And see how the body adapts.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Ironically I am riding stronger than I have ever before doing a lot less cycling than I used to (about 120km a week less), but I have replaced that time with core work and stretching.
So I really think that you can't just say do more of this or that. You need to look at where you are weak and why and make steps to improve in those areas.
In my case it wasn't time or effort spent on the bike.

Thanks for the replies guys. And no, this wasn't some kind of trolling exercise @saibot ;)

I was asking because this year I haven't been getting out that much on the bike during the week as much as I'd like to. I've been able to get out a few times a week but only had time to clock up 20-25km which just didn't feel like it was helping much. I've now decided to go out at night and clock about 40km per day and I'm now starting to feel the difference. Just wondered how much riding people put in before they start to feel the difference.

As I said before, I'm not looking for advice on training. I don't take my cycling seriously enough for that. I want to keep it fun, without the pressures of "I've got to get out and train for xxxx race" (which is what I know I would be thinking if I was in a race).

I'd say 200-250km per week for me, which is basically commuting plus a long ride on Saturdays. I also try to run and do some free-weights work 2-3 days a week.

This pretty much keeps me in "OK ish" condition, but if I wanted to get better/stronger/faster I'd probably try some sort of structured training programme focusing on increasing my FTP.

if I wanted to get better/stronger/faster I'd probably try some sort of structured training programme focusing on increasing my FTP.

I'm trying to avoid those three letter acronyms, along with that "watts" word. No. Thank. You ;)

"more" and "harder" riding equal improvement for me, whatever the volume, since injuries have not let me really overtrain so far. I intersperse things with easier days though if things get manic.

I've noticed a big gain in the last 6 months. About 6kg. Am trying to get back into shape. Feel that at this stage, any exercise makes a nice difference both mentally and physically and any setback also makes a big impact like a medical check and a belly full of Barium. I shall struggle forward. Already on 858km this year and it's only July! Gotta get fit before the next baby arrives :confused:

Last edited:
I would say 3-4 times a week, with at 1-2 of those sessions being focused on intensity.

Say 4x6min at above TT pace, with 3-5min in between, finished with some short sprints. Thats one session.
The other intensity session being 2x20 min at TT pace or just below TT pace.
Remember to get in a good warm before either of these, at least 20minutes. So if you are in a trainer, figure about an hour per session.

The other 1-2 sessions focusing on spinning and high cadence.
If you can get in a longer 3-5 hour ride on the weekend fantastic, but your performance gains are mostly from the above intensity sessions.

oops...

Well either wait, thats when I start to see performance gains.

And when I stop drinking 3-6 beers, margaritas etc. a day.

Last edited:
I'd say my best gains were made with three to four focused trainer sessions a week plus one longer ride trying to keep up with riders faster, stronger, and fitter than me.

This is how I spent my time for a few months and the improvements were easily visible.

Constant and at decent intensity.

I'd say my best gains were made with three to four focused trainer sessions a week plus one longer ride trying to keep up with riders faster, stronger, and fitter than me.

This is how I spent my time for a few months and the improvements were easily visible.

Constant and at decent intensity.
@Musashi13 Would you mind sharing what these structured trainer sessions are?

The sessions I used are part of the TrainerRoad plans, there are comprehensive plans for just about any goal; base, build, specific distance, specific discipline, etc.
There are slightly different plans for the amount of time you can commit to the workouts etc

My thinking was I would just build and build and build, so I did. From about mid November to March. I was lean, strong, and could go all day as a result. For some reason I thought I could maintain that with minimum effort and so here I am today reminiscing about the glory days. I very much intend to do it all again.

Here is an example of what's on offer

TRMIDPWR.PNG

Back
Top Bottom