What's new

How much does your bike weigh?

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
I'm sure bike weight is one of your greatest concern to choose your next bike. Accordingly, once you get your new bike your next concern would be how much does so and so component weigh and how much does this change take effect. We keep on expensing great amount to grow gradually less of our bike. But unfortunately, weight of our bike concerned, we are seldom to know the clear differences. On the other hand, not all of you are trying to expense same amount to decrease your weight. So, I'm very much interested in relation between your bike records and your weight. By the way, I weigh 75kg and haven't specific bike records. Luckily enough TCC boards has its greatest thread "TCC Hall of Fame". If we add record holder's weight to each record it would be much fun.

Hi Massa,

For what it's worth, my bike, including saddle bag, weighs about 8.8 kilos. I weigh 75-76 kilos.

I'm guessing that my new rig, once set up, is likely to come in about 800-1,000 grams lighter.

Deej

Bike Weight

My bike and me together weight more than100 kilograms. My guess would be that the bike alone accounts for more than half of the total.

On a more serious note I do not believe that a lighter bike, say in the range of 2 to 3 kg will have much effect on my performance. There is an interesting article on the Cervelo website, where weight vs. aerodynamics is discussed:

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=S32009
[scroll down to : Col de la Tipping Point]

So, we speak about the magnitude of an 35 seconds advantage on an eight hours ride. Hm. I should be able to have at least the same increase in performance with a little bit more training.

Weighed myself this morning and I've gained a 2.5kg extra layer during the winter and am now 78kg. I put the bike on the scales recently and without saddle bag etc it came in at 8.1kg. The frame itself is 1.49kg, the wheels 1.55kg.

While I could get some lighter wheels and lighter components, I can't really see the point as the costs would far outweigh any possible benefits, which I probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Having said that, in a moment of Yen-Pound fuelled madness recently, I must admit that I bought some Zipp titanium skewers that shaved about 40grams off the bike. I calculated a 0.0012423 second benefit.

I'm about 85kg now and have no idea how much my bikes weigh. The plastic Ridley is lighter than the aluminum/carbon Sequoia, but I don't know by how much. The Sequoia feels less "snappy", but that's because of geometry, not weight. I find wheels make a difference; swapping between my Eastons and cast-iron cheapo trainers definitely changes the responsiveness of the bike.

I'm guessing that my new rig, once set up, is likely to come in about 800-1,000 grams lighter.

Okay, this is the second or third reference I've seen to this mystery new bike... Pics? Details? Do you have the frame already? Building it yourself?

Col de la Tipping Point

Heh, I remember seeing this Tipping Point idea expressed in a line graph or something, with the aero and weight lines crossing somewhere around 4-5% grade for a recreational rider. Interestingly, that is almost exactly the point I go from being a sorta-quick cyclist to a very slow one :)

My bike is also coming in at 8.1 kilos w/o saddlebag - right at about 10% of body weight. For me the target is to take off the saddlebags, cellu-bags, donuts, caterpillar, and the lumpy lard off my midsection, and maybe I can keep up with the TCC crew on training rides.

Okay, this is the second or third reference I've seen to this mystery new bike... Pics? Details? Do you have the frame already? Building it yourself?

Ha. My plan was to keep this under the radar and show up for a ride on a totally new bike. But I am about as good at keeping this secret as you are at not buying new Ridleys. :D

So here are the details:

Groupset: Campy Chorus 11 Speed

Bike: 2009 Velocite Flow frameset (Same as the Pedal Force RS2, but this comes without stickers and has a 12k weave, not a 3k weave.)

Seatpost: Ritchey carbon

Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide Racing Team

Stem: Stella Azzurra

Wheelset: 2007 Ksyrium ES

Bars: 2009 FSA K-Wing

I already have the bars, stem and wheels. All the other parts are now being shipped.

Nagai-san at Positivo is building it up for me. It should be ready to roll by March, from which point all TCC Hall of Fame records shall begin bearing my name. :p

Deej

Ooh, very nice, looking forward to seeing it on the road. Good find on that bike shop for the frame.

I'm guessing white bar tape with the white saddle? That'll look tres cool with the all-black debadged frame...

Ooh, very nice, looking forward to seeing it on the road. Good find on that bike shop for the frame.

Thanks, Phil. Yeah, I came across the shop during some Bike Forums reading. I've spoken (via email) with the owner/operator of the store several times, and he is responsive and friendly. I'll be sure and let everyone know how the bike rides.

I'm guessing white bar tape with the white saddle? That'll look tres cool with the all-black debadged frame...

Doh, I forgot to put a link to the bar-tape manufacturer!:)

Yeah, I'm going for the ol' white bar/saddle, black frame look. Chiched, I know, but sharp-looking nonetheless.

Deej

Wow, so many new builds in TCC this year!
How about a "Miss TCC 2009" bike contest?

Update
To stay on topic - my XO1 wieght was around 10kg. I myself am 68 (measured a week ago) - don't know where all the beer goes :D

Ha. My plan was to keep this under the radar and show up for a ride on a totally new bike. But I am about as good at keeping this secret as you are at not buying new Ridleys. :D

Hi Deej,

That is a real beauty. How did you convince your wife this was a good idea?

Philip

That is a real beauty.

Thanks, Philip. On paper, it should be a nice bike. We'll see how it looks as a single unit soon enough!

How did you convince your wife this was a good idea?

I, uh, well ... You mean I'm supposed to tell her? :)

Actually, I did the very dangerous maneuver of purchase-first-then-tell-the-wife. It was a risky gambit, but the fact that I'm still around to write this post shows that it paid off. And the expenditure was offset somewhat by the (impending) sale of my Felt. (Anyone want my TCC Hall of Fame record-setting steed?)

Deej

Chatzpah! I'd rather ride down nokogiriyama without brakes :eek:

:D

It was an act of desperation that shan't be repeated anytime soon. (Massa -- my sincere apologies for hijacking your thread!)

:D

It was an act of desperation that shan't be repeated anytime soon. (Massa -- my sincere apologies for hijacking your thread!)

OKAY, it's my pleasure, Deej.
Impressive enough to you guys' greatest concern about buying new bikes to improve a little bit of your performance of kicking pedals. Naturally it's my strong concern too. But at the same time, I'm still curious to know, if any, whether you guys' weight are relevant to your performances of bike riding. Records on the "TCC Hall of Fame" is limited to that of hill climbing skills. What about your ability to attain your maximum speed on non-descent roads? I weigh 75kg and max speed is 48km/h. What about you guys on the record holders' list?

No, what you do is buy the wife a new frame, and then trickle down bits on your existing bike onto her bike, and in the process upgrade yours! Works a treat. :)

For the record, my good bike is about 7.1kg, but that should come down 100g or a bit more with my upgrades that I'll be putting on later on this week (KCNC brakes, Red derailleurs, KMC X10SL chain). I reckon there's a huge difference in shaving off some weight, my good bike accelerates so much quicker than my old one and just floats up the hills. :)

Oh, and my dates are now confirmed - I'll be back in Tokyo May 15th for 6 months. Looking forward to catching up with you guys!

clay

Looking forward to catching up with you guys!

clay

Clay,
It is us who will be trying to catch up with you :run02::run02: :run01:

...I did the very dangerous maneuver of purchase-first-then-tell-the-wife....
Deej

Deej,
Good technique: It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.
"Can I buy a new bike?" "No." Ouch - no result :(
"I just bought a new bike" "You did what...?!" Ouch - result :)

Massa,
To a true cyclist, the only possible answer is "too much" :D
My one - mid 7 kg range according to the Cannondale website.

Bike weight has little effect on maximum flat speed, although a heavier bike will be slower to accelerate. It is on the climbs where it makes a difference.

Hi Masa,

Just for your information (not the Hall of Fame), my chunky Jamis is about 13 kg with the Brooks saddle and kick stand (absolutely hate laying it on the ground). As Alan pointed out, my bike is slow in accelerating and not as quick uphill. [I like to think of it as being sturdy and comfortable like a Harley Davidson rather than quick and nimble like a Yamaha or Kawasaki. :)]

With my weight of 69 kg and a 4 kg difference between my bike and racing class bikes, total mass difference is only about 5%.

I like this thread because I need to weigh my new Wilier and input that figure into my power meter, but I don`t have a scale at home. I don`t yet know how much the complete bike weighs, but having stepped into carbon fiber bicycle technology after riding a 15kg full suspension aluminum mtb for 10 years, it just blows my mind that a full waterbottle weighs more than my frame! I`m hoping the complete bike is 8kg-ish. (Wilier Izoard/DA/Spinergy)

Back
Top Bottom