What's new

How many patches on your tubes?

massa

Warming-Up
Feb 22, 2008
Generally, how many patches on your tubes?

As I recently experienced frequent flats of twice a week, accordingly five or more patches per one tube, and my couple of new tubes have many dots of patches at least four. :( Thanks for advices and comments of TCC bikers on the website, now I seldom have flat. I carry one new tube and another extra tube with many patches. What about you?

I'll rarely put a 2nd patch on. One for spares then if it goes again I retire it.
I haven't had a flat in a long long time either... been rotating my wheels more often so when one goes they'll all go I suppose. My tires are all in good shape as well. The Tuesday & Wednesday night rides I do are on beautiful new roads and we rarely use the brakes, just go round and round.

doh......! misread your post. glad your flat problem went away!

I will patch a tube once or twice and keep it as a spare. After that its trash.

I carry 1 tube on most rides, 2 on super long rides.

Flat Tires

Flat tires are inevitable, things like that just happen. The best thing you can do and most people don't do it. I do it! LOL. I check to see what the tire wear expectancy rate is per miles of kilometers and run them until I hit that mileage. After that I swap them out for new tires and keep the old one as a road spare. I know alot of people buy expensive race tires and use them as daily commuters. So you can get some el cheapo's for daily rides that aren't so light weight and use the good race tires for events. El Cheapo's I don't care about the wear rate, I ride them on how they look.

Also inspect your inner tire well after a road flat. Might have a small piece of debris lodged in the rubber tread. Alot of people just swap tubes and ride on, just to get another flat down the road.

Thank you guys for posts with stimulating further thoughts. Being tubes are indispensable for safe and effective riding, and I'll be keep on annoyed by flats, because maintenance of tubes are job of ourselves. :(

NONE. I am a lousy tube patcher. I only do if I have to because I got #2 flat on the new tube that I hope I have. When I DO have to patch I keep the old tube to patch AGAIN until I get home then replace it. I must say I like the glueless patches if I must.

I've tried patching a couple of times and it's never worked well, so none.

I went through a bad period with my old tires where my rear was going flat every few weeks. I changed sometime around November and have had much better luck since then - only one punk, and that was from a long bent nail going about 4cm into the tire (all the way through both sides of the tube).

I've tried patching a couple of times and it's never worked well, so none.

I went through a bad period with my old tires where my rear was going flat every few weeks. I changed sometime around November and have had much better luck since then - only one punk, and that was from a long bent nail going about 4cm into the tire (all the way through both sides of the tube).

1) Detailed maintenance method given by the following url will improve your patching work skill. :D

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=149

2) A long bent nail might be created by frictions caused by brake shoes and tires.

Patching latex inner tubes should be more effective than butyl ones (no actual experience though).

The thick patches on an inner tube used with skinny tyres (<23c) may cause a slight bulge (have a quick look for me) and the larger patches may not conform to such a small radius. So no patching for me, unless the inner tubes are for mama chari or mountain bike tyres.

None! Bwah ha ha ha ha!

50-6781-700-SIDE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom