What's new

How do you stay cool under your shorts?

snoogly

Maximum Pace
Oct 14, 2007
A slightly uncomfortable steamy ride today got me wondering about the best way to stay cool, & dry, under your shorts.

What's the best way to avoid heat rash? Talcum powder?

Never wear underwear with my cycling shorts and make sure they are clean...
Not much else you can do...is there?

Was suffering with heat rash both through winter and summer.
In the end, I decided to splash out 2000 yen on some assos chamois creme which you apply both to your skin and the chamois. I've used it three times so far and seems to have done a good job of stopping the rashes.

thanks for the tips

Just ordered some of the ass os cream from CycleYoshida. Can't do any harm to try it.

Other thoughts...

In addition to above...

I find its good to wash up and get into clean clothes as soon as possible....

Also, in addition to the big name creams and balms... some homegrown options that some of my US buddies use include:
- Diaper rash ointment (like A&D Ointment)
- Cold Creme (like Ponds)
- Mix of vaseline, a little neosporin, and a dab of vitamin e.

I've managed to get a really persistent and itchy heat rash all over my ankles from wearing the wrong socks.:eek:uch: (not from cycling but "crosstraining" in Bolivian jungle:confused:) A nurse told me to but anti-biotic cream like neosporin on it to keep the blisters from getting infected when they pop and/or anti-fungus medication in case it's a yeast infection/athlete's foot type of problem.:eek:

I think investing in new shoes and socks may be my best bet at prevention. I'll look into diaper rash stuff and cold cream, too. Aussies here tell me to use tea-tree oil...

tailwinds!

I've managed to get a really persistent and itchy heat rash all over my ankles from wearing the wrong socks.:eek:uch: (not from cycling but "crosstraining" in Bolivian jungle:confused:) A nurse told me to but anti-biotic cream like neosporin on it to keep the blisters from getting infected when they pop and/or anti-fungus medication in case it's a yeast infection/athlete's foot type of problem.:eek:

I think investing in new shoes and socks may be my best bet at prevention. I'll look into diaper rash stuff and cold cream, too. Aussies here tell me to use tea-tree oil...

tailwinds!

A good way to kill all the bacteria in your shoes is to put them on the dashboard of your car on a really really hot day and bake the shoes in the car. (keep all the windows up and let it bake as long as you can).

A good way to kill all the bacteria in your shoes is to put them on the dashboard of your car on a really really hot day and bake the shoes in the car. (keep all the windows up and let it bake as long as you can).

That's one hell of a way to stink the car out, my shoes sure would anyway:(

I used to use Assos Chamois creme but now use the following:

http://www.dz-nuts.com/catalog/

Gotta protect your junk as the page says. I apply it very liberally and have had no issues.

Some of the best advice for rash, blisters and other endurance related annoyances can be found at any ultramarathon site, such as the Badwater 135.

James

Lysol disinfectant spray. Cheap, kills germs and doesn't stink out my car. :D
Pick it up at the local super or komeri for a couple hundred yen.

Lysol disinfectant spray. Cheap, kills germs and doesn't stink out my car. :D
Pick it up at the local super or komeri for a couple hundred yen.

I put mine on the car dashboard on Tuesday morning and it got really hot.
When I came back in the afternoon my shoes smelled new.
The bacteria were nuked.
I had removed my wet socks and stuff still in the car from Sunday's race before attempting this...that would have made the car stink.

This is starting to make me think that a microwave oven might have a place in this process ...

Was suffering with heat rash both through winter and summer.
In the end, I decided to splash out 2000 yen on some assos chamois creme which you apply both to your skin and the chamois. I've used it three times so far and seems to have done a good job of stopping the rashes.

Love this stuff.....its on my shopping list every July!

Back
Top Bottom