What's new

How do you combine Garmin History files?

snoogly

Maximum Pace
Oct 14, 2007
My Garmin 605 befuddled me again today. I can never come to terms with the fact that when I decide to 'follow' a course while out on a ride, the timer starts again ~ leaving me with two different History files for the ride.

Does anyone know (on a Mac) how I can combine two history files to make a single course?

I guess another question is: is it possible to opt to follow a course while out on a ride, without it creating a new history file?

I love my Garmin for recording my rides, but whenever I try to do something a bit 'different', I always get lost in a lot of beeps and menus ...

(as another mac user who has been thinking of trying one of these units, I'm also interested in this query)

My post here will probably confuse you more but I'll put it up so others can also throw in the general consensus.

I'm still learning my way around the 705 and if I don't use it often enough I forget where the settings are.

I've experienced problems like this before where I'm following a 'history' course and it decides to re-write history mid trip.

There are lots of little settings to keep to the original course without deviation.
cycling mode. or (stick to main roads) (offroad) etc... if they are different to the original course it may try and over ride the history.

If you don't push the start button on the 705 it may not record the 'new' course.

Does your timer start without you pushing the start button?
I guess is you're following a loaded course it needs to record it so the GPS can plot the correct path on the map and know where you are....even though it should already be plotted...it must use live data as a cross reference.

Not sure how many more settings are on the 705 compared to the 605 but when I was out on the road yesterday and wanted to make a change it took me more than 10 minutes to find it in the settings.

One question for those with maps.

I was in the process of backing up my downloaded map on my old laptop the other day when (as I suspected was about to happen) the laptop died.
Now I have no copy of it.
Do you think they'll let me download it again if I tell them my sob story?
It will still only be usable on my 705's license number...

Back
Top Bottom