What's new

How do I take a course and add the route in from my house to the closest point?

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
I've taken someone else's nice 50km loop course that I want to ride around central Tokyo, and imported it to both my MapMyRide account and my RideWithGPS (a noob at these so thought I would register with both and find out which one's easiest/best). However the author's original start point of the planned loop is a long way from my home. It does pass relatively close to my house at one point though.

I can easily get either website to create the lead in and out portions, but it does them to the start of the loop rather than the closest point. Is there a way to get them to do my location to closest point and then start the loop from there?

Depending on the type of Garmin you have you can up load it as a course and then press "Start" my Garmin 705 will then point you in the right direction to join the course.

However if you really want to ride from door to door then the only way to do this would be to upload the course to Ride with GPS and then edit the course starting at your house.....

To be honest though its probably easy to ride "solo" to the start of the course and then press start on the Garmin.

Hacking into a GPX file...

Hmmm this looks like there isn't an easy solution. Thanks FE for your suggestions. The edit on Ride with GPS doesn't really work - it seems to always assume you are adding onto the last point (hence I end up with a lead out from a far point back to home).
I do have an idea though. If I could open the gpx file in a text editor (or smilar) and then re-number the data points so the nearest point is the starting point, I could then open in Ride with GPS and finish the edit there.
Anyone have an idea what text editor would let me inside the raw data of a GPX file?

Back
Top Bottom