What's new

How do I bring a Bicycle from Japan?

max200g

Warming-Up
Oct 20, 2007
I will be visiting the Kashiwa area and would like to get a bicycle for use while I'm there. I would also like to bring it back to the USA. I have two questions.

1. Is there a place in Kashiwa that sells cheap or used bicycles? I am looking for a small bicycle (low clearance) like the ones listed on the following links.

http://tokyo.craigslist.org/bik/451265035.html
http://tokyo.craigslist.org/bik/447542088.html

2. How do I bring them back? Can I have a bicycle shop disassemble and package it? Will the buses from Kashiwa to Narita airport let me bring them?

Thank you for any help.

3 stops from Kashiwa http://www.seo-smd.com/ Shin Matsudo station
behind the Mitsubishi bank near Daiei department store.

They have these and you can also ask for the packing box (free) to send it to Narita or buy a more fancy one. Wouldn't hurt to put it in a bike rinko bag as well as the cardboard box.

I had to leave my PANASONIC road bicycle at minami kashiwa station. If you exit the station on the pachinko side and make a right turn
and walk until you see the overpass

you will see my bike on the left.

please go pick it up and ride it. It is a beautiful panasonic with DURA ACE. I had to leave Japan rather quickly and due to translation difficulty Kuroneko was not able to take my bike.

I have since moved on to a Carbon Specialized Tarmac.

Please give my old zitensya some love. <3
-M&S

OK, full disclosure:

I commute on the Chiyoda Line, which puts me in range of Minami Kashiwa. So I went to have a look to see if the Panasonic was there! Alas, it was not.

As many of you may already know from reading an earlier post, my bike has been sent back to the manufacturer to be inspected for a crack. Not having a bike to ride is crummy, so when I saw Alcyone's post, I saw an opportunity to fill the void.

I will readily admit that my initial instincts were not as altruistic as Edogawakikkoman's. When I saw the post, my reaction was FREE BIKE WITH DURA ACE? SWEET! But I'm in withdrawal, so I guess I'm a little greedy.

While I'm kind of bummed not to have encountered the Panasonic, I think the best outcome would be for Alcyone to be reunited with his steed.

I hope you're the one who picked it up, Edo!

But I'm still bummed...:p

D

Now, there's an idea...

I was in Kashiwa yesterday, as a matter of fact.
I wish I'd known about the bike earlier.
>Deej: I concur with your sentiments - Pete (Edogawakikkoman), I hope it was you who picked up the bike before "greedy deej" got his hands on the lucre (jokin' Dave:D)
Also, this morning there was a post by a new member "Fin", wondering if someone was able to lend a bike for a week or so.
Therefore, how about we have an "Official TCC Loaner-bike" for guys & girls who are only coming to Japan (Tokyo, specifically) for a short visit, and aren't able to bring their own wheels from wherever?
Of course, this poses some extra logistical problems, such as:
1. In whose house does the bike reside?
2. How can other members get access to it, when needed in a hurry?
3. The size of the bike (I've met Alcyone, and I think he rides on a "medium" frame, which) might not suit everyone who wishes to borrow it.
4. Maintenance.

5... We're still not sure if it was indeed "Edogawakikkoman" who picked it up - It may have been taken much earlier by those #$&%(T)-arse-M&'@"#$ bicycle-police.

But still, it might not be a bad idea to have a "loaner" bike for members of TCC who find themselves without a bike for short periods.

Any other suggestions?
Travis

Travis: Kashiwa yesterday -- so close, yet so far!

Actually, the thought of a TCC loaner bike also crossed my mind as I made my way closer to the "lucre" that possibly awaited me at Minami Kashiwa. I was thinking that even if I found the bike, I would feel a bit weird just taking it and hoarding it. (OK, and I also knew that one of you would find out about my luck sooner or later! "Hey, nice Panasonic, Deej! Wait a minute...")

As a way to assuage the guilt I knew I would feel if I actually found the bike, the notion of sharing it entered my fevered cogitations -- I swear!

But even if the Panasonic is gone forever, I think the idea is still excellent. Yes, there are logistical issues, but I think it can be done.

I'll put on my thinking cap.

By the way, my buddy has kindly agreed to lend me his bike while mine is being examined by Germany's best and brightest.

D

I planned on driving by this morning, but the traffic was so bad I was going to be late for work, so I didn't have a look.

Then on the way home I thought I'd go and have a look but as I got to Minami Kashiwa station I thought...it was going to be too hard in the dark and had no where to park the car so came home instead....

:eek:

If the Panasonic can be found I'm willing to 'mind' it and see what the owner of it wants done with it.....

Thank you Edogawakikkoman. I just got into Kashiwa and staying at the Crest Hotel. I plan on seeing the place you've suggested tomorrow.

I planned on driving by this morning, but the traffic was so bad I was going to be late for work, so I didn't have a look.

Then on the way home I thought I'd go and have a look but as I got to Minami Kashiwa station I thought...it was going to be too hard in the dark and had no where to park the car so came home instead....

:eek:

If the Panasonic can be found I'm willing to 'mind' it and see what the owner of it wants done with it.....

okay...it's not exactly at minami kashiwa station. Feel free to take it as a loaner bike. I had to leave and I won't be back for a while (going back to school)

The name of the apartment complex is "shine green"

2-3-6 minamikashiwa syain gurin (shine green) postal code 27780 (08) 55

the bike looks like this:

IMG_6902.jpg

minus the silly seat angle. The bolt came loose on the ride, and I had no tools.

Go have a look...take it home with you and sell it, loan it or what have you. It would be nice to know it's in good condition.

I left the bike at my apartment complex "bike parking" area with a lock. It's a small lock, easy to break but the combination is 2513 I think.

I'll be coming back to Japan to ride my bicycle next time I get a vacation. Unfortunately I was in between jobs at a bad time in Japan (NOVA collapse) and I left and realized there was no hope for gainful employment, so I went back to school here in the USA.

I also picked up a new steed: Specialized TARMAC! =)

Looks like a nice bike, but no more wild goose chases for me, thanks.

2-3-6 minamikashiwa syain gurin (shine green) postal code 27780 (08) 55

punched this into the navi on the way home and I was there in 5 minutes from work....

:thumb1:

I think your boss Saruhashi Monkey Bridges has pawned it already...

Nice apartments though... no wonder they went bankrupt....

Back
Top Bottom