What's new

Hotaka Training!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
HT2 - September 6.

With just over 2 months to go until the "Hotaka" races, I thought now might be a good time to get in some training before then.
We did a similar thing before the "Kusatsu" race at the beginning of this year, with mostly favourable results from the "KT" rides. I'd now like to propose some Hotaka-Training, "HT" rides.
Last week's ride, arranged by TOM, out to Kobu-Tunnel & Itsukaichi could well have been called "HT1", as it was fast with very few breaks!
http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/au/Tokyo/698602873578
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=943&page=3

I'd like to suggest the next one, "HT2":
Which is actually an exact copy of "KT4" – A ride that Deej had planned for us, after modelling it on Philip's "Back in the saddle" ride; a ride that Deej named "Okumusashi-Madness". Although, we never actually completed the course due to Thomas breaking his chain - we took a shortcut back (skipping what looked like some fantastic roads out through some farms in the Chichibu area).
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/to...kyo)/149475930
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=668&highlight=okumusashi+madness&page=3
I would dearly love to complete the full course this time!

The beauty of this particular course (in regards to Hotaka) is that it also includes a section of over 20% - the closest we've found in the Tokyo area to match the 22% on the Hotaka-Hill-Climb, which takes place on Sat. Nov.8.

The course distance (for this "HT2") is about 130km – Starting & ending at Higashi-Ome.
It has almost as much climbing as Hotaka, but it's 10km farther in distance (as well as that 20+% section).

This weekend might be too short-notice, so how about next Saturday, Sept.6?

If there's a "down-side", it would be this: As it is training for a non-stop race, all breaks will be kept to a minimum (maybe 3, for the entire course). This means that all food & supplies should be carried by each rider – for him/herself – until at least the 90km mark, where we will probably make one last "7-11" stop near Chichibu station before the final run back.

I hope this sounds OK to everyone!
Please post your willingness to participate here!

Rubber Down!
Travis

Count me in

Travis - this looks good, as I have the Boso audax the following weekend.

Thanks for posting the routes. May try and get out on one of these on Sunday this weekend too.

chazzer

Hi, Travis!

I'd like to join you in this ride. I am not going to Hotaka with you, but I think longer week-end HT rides would be a perfect addition to my own OT :)

Looks great, Travis, and I would love to do this, but will be in LA next week :(. Will definitely try to make some of the later installments in late September/October. I REALLY need to practice riding up proper hills.

Hi Travis . . .

I am sorry I cannot join you on this ride. I will be participating in a triathlon on Sado Island next weekend. I will definitely join you on later HT rides :D

Philip

HT2...all right!

Thanks Travis !

Leaving from the Higashi-Ome 7/11 on Nariki Kaido...very convenient for me...I'll be there :happy: give me some of that Okumusashi Madness.

During the long weekend of Sept. 13~15, I'll be doing my own version of HT3 (training in NORIKURA, yeah!) but then, perhaps the following weekend on Sept. 20, we could all try that OHSMK-loop again as a HT4?...what do you think :cool:? (I could do this loop every week and never get bored...)

Cheers,

Tom

Great idea, but I am out

Hi Travis,

I also have a triathlon (Singapore 70.3) that weekend, so I can't join. But I am keen todo other training rides when I can.

Cheers,

Keren

I'm game

Looks like a good route--count me in for Sept 6 weekend if you're heading out then as this weekend is looking nash.

Oh goody

I was hoping to do this one again soon. I agree that we should minimize the breaks -- as well as the length of the breaks -- so we have ample time to finish the route.

Looking forward to it!

Deej

I was hoping to do this one again soon. I agree that we should minimize the breaks -- as well as the length of the breaks -- so we have ample time to finish the route.

Looking forward to it!

Deej

You mean breaks in chains :rolleyes:

In for a penny,

Yeah, OK.

(Grumble, grumble)

26% SOB hill. Not feeling ready for that at all.

See you Saturday unless the wather is crap.

Aaron

Details!

Hey Guys!
Sorry about the late reply, but here's how the weekend's shaping up. So far we have:
Charles
Sergey
TOM
Lee
Nick(beer)
Deej
Aaron
Travis
I've also heard that there may be a few last-minute riders as well.

>Phil: It's a shame you can't make it! Take care in L.A!
>Philip: Best of luck in the Sado Triathlon! See you on the next one.
>Keren: Same to you in the Singapore Triathlon - Keep safe!

For the rest of us, the meeting place hasn't changed since last time - HIGASHI- Ome! It's actually slightly north of the station at a 7-11.
Last time, according to Philip's proposed schedule, had we started out at precisely 9:30, we all should have been able to get back to the same 7-11 by 4pm - This is the schedule that we too shall work with (last time was fraught with various navigational & mechanical mishaps that caused us to be a tad late:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showth...madness&page=3 )

For those coming by train: Charles, Nick, Lee?, myself.
I will be on the "Ome-Tokkai 青梅特快" that leaves Tokyo at 7:54am, in the FRONT carriage. Please check the following timetable for your nearest station:
http://www.jreast-timetable.jp/0809/train/145/147741.html

If you have luggage to store, we'll need to go all the way to Ome (where there are coin-lockers) & then ride back to "Higashi-Ome". The train gets into Ome at 9:08, so it is quite a tight schedule - we may be in a rush to get to the 7-11 on time. Please feel free to catch an earlier train, or if you don't have so much luggage, you can get off the train at Higashi-Ome at 9:05.

>Tom, Deej, Sergey, Pucci: I'm sure you'll probably meet up on the river somewhere. See you at the same 7-11 as last time!

That's about it. See you all there!
Travis

What is up with this rain? My last two rides have been totally soggy, and this Saturday is shaping up to be wet as well. Enough already.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

The rain doesn't bother me so much, per se, it's the effect it has on my shoes and socks (turning my feet into lead), and my bike (turning it into a muddy beast).

Deej

Pussies...?

What is up with this rain? My last two rides have been totally soggy, and this Saturday is shaping up to be wet as well. Enough already.
Just wanted to get that off my chest.
The rain doesn't bother me so much, per se, it's the effect it has on my shoes and socks (turning my feet into lead), and my bike (turning it into a muddy beast).
Deej

I'm pretty sure that all the rain was all over and done with last week!
Having had it (the rain) ruin my beautiful tyres last week, I'm sure that this week will be more congenial to weekend riding.
Still, the plan has not changed!... Ride out from the Higashi-Ome 7-11 at 9:30, to be back by 4:00pm!
That's the plan, and it's not been changed over a pair of wet shoes!

See you there! T

That's the plan, and it's not been changed over a pair of wet shoes!

See you there! T

Oh, I'll be there (you need someone to give you The Look). I was just venting.

Still, the NHK weather forecast page is showing little umbrellas over Sat., Sun. and Mon. Of course, it's only Tuesday, and weather forecasts have been known to be wrong. No, seriously.

Deej

Talk about venting...

... I was just venting.
Still, the NHK weather forecast page is showing little umbrellas over Sat., Sun. and Mon. Of course, it's only Tuesday, and weather forecasts have been known to be wrong...
Deej

Let me vent this:
"There is not a single 'weather bureau' on the planet that is able to PREDICT anything more than four days in advance!" Even 3 days is cutting it fine; and with only two days to go, it might be possible to give said forecast some credence.
Call me on Thursday night, and I may change my mind, but as you mentioned... "It's only Tuesday"!
Quote me on this, "WE'LL BE FINE ON SATURDAY!"
T

Let me vent this:
"There is not a single 'weather bureau' on the planet that is able to PREDICT anything more than four days in advance!" Even 3 days is cutting it fine; and with only two days to go, it might be possible to give said forecast some credence.
Call me on Thursday night, and I may change my mind, but as you mentioned... "It's only Tuesday"!
Quote me on this, "WE'LL BE FINE ON SATURDAY!"
T

Gulp. Y-yes sir.

(Deej glances over at Pucci and raises an eyebrow -- face-ese for, "Dude, WTF?" Pucci shrugs, wearing a "don't ask me" expression.

"Do you have something you want to tell me, Deej?"

"No, I was just..."

"Good. Cuz I'm sick of that nasal drone you call a voice."

(Deej wants to get in Travis's face and scream, "You wanna throw? Hmm? You want some of this action?" But instead he looks at his shoes and stifles the urge to weep.)

A bird caws.

Pucci clears his thoat.

"Anyone up for some Uno?"

Back
Top Bottom