What's new

Hotaka: Course, Strategy and Team Tactics

Well, look forward to the next ride together Philip. It's been along time between drinks, so to speak :bike:

The truth...

....amazing if you consider the fact that this was his first Kazahari via the rindo! I've seen that yellow giant on his long legs escape on the Oo-toge...he's simply unstoppable...and now - after the Mikuni awakening - he's back!! ??

The truth is, I went out hard on that ONE climb I thought I might have a chance at - Kazahari Rindo - And after I saw Thomas dropping back a bit, I realized I might have a chance...
Thomas & I were riding side by side for quite a bit, and then he went up ahead (maybe 20m or so) before dropping back. I went past him and tried to put as much distance as possible between us - about 50m at one point - but he wouldn't let go! Just before the top, I turned around to see that Thomas had caught up, and was now only about 15-20m back (I could see that "Deej-ish" look in his eyes.... I'm comin' to get ya!) so I gave it everything I had left, and finally made it over the top with about 10 meters to spare.

That said, after that one single climb I was fried for the rest of the day; Lee beat me to the top of every climb after that... Imagawa & Kazahari (from the lake-side). I couldn't keep up on the "flatter" parts of the ride.

All I remember is watching four guys (Thomas, Mike, Lee & Sergey) disappear up the road in front of me, time after time!

>Deej: I didn't clock my time up Kazahari-rindo, so I couldn't tell you!
>Everyone else: Don't worry! It'll take more than "Mikuni" & "Kazahari" to bring me back from the dead...:(

I'm still working on HT5 though (Thomas has requested the "Izu" ride again), and it's in the bag! Will keep you all posted!

Travis

Interesting feedback, Travis. I still get flashbacks of you hunting me down on Otoge, your cruel, cold eyes bearing down on me. Honestly, it was kinda scary -- like how in a nightmare one tends to run in slow motion while being chased. Part of me dreads doing group climbs for this very reason. Fear of this real-life nightmare scenario (not to mention an overdeveloped competitive streak) is part of what pushes me to the edge of exhaustion on climbs.

after that one single climb I was fried for the rest of the day; Lee beat me to the top of every climb after that... Imagawa & Kazahari (from the lake-side). I couldn't keep up on the "flatter" parts of the ride.

Ha! That's exactly how it was for me when I climbed Matsuhime-toge with Tom a few weeks ago. After that climb, I barely had anything left, while he was still full of energy.

I think I learned a few valuable lessons on that ride, such as: eat and drink more during the ride; don't chug colas at the base of a long climb; don't force yourself to ride in the red zone too long if you know there's lots more riding ahead.

The last couple of rides, I've been mindful of those points and have fared much better.

>Deej: I didn't clock my time up Kazahari-rindo, so I couldn't tell you!

OK. Just curious. For what it's worth, it took me 37 minutes from the base (intersection with main road) to the top. Actually, it was 37:21, but I lost 30-45 seconds after having to circle around and then finally stop to manually move my chain to the small ring. I have to get that fixed.

It's interesting for me to note that both Mikuni and Kazahari-rindo take about 37 minutes. And I think they are roughly the same distance, right? Maybe Kazahari is a little longer? While both are hard, I feel that Mikuni is tougher.

Deej

Mikuni vs Kazahari...

Interesting feedback, Travis. I still get flashbacks of you hunting me down on Otoge, your cruel, cold eyes bearing down on me. Honestly, it was kinda scary -- like how in a nightmare one tends to run in slow motion while being chased.
Deej

Eeh! I always kind of thought my eyes were more "warm & deer-like":cool:

OK. Just curious. For what it's worth, it took me 37 minutes from the base (intersection with main road) to the top. Actually, it was 37:21, but I lost 30-45 seconds after having to circle around and then finally stop to manually move my chain to the small ring. I have to get that fixed.
Deej

I never really worry about times too much unless they're "on the record" - but 37 minutes sounds about right (It's hard to tell when Thomas is bearing down on you!) But just to keep you happy, I think it was in the 39-40 minute range.

It's interesting for me to note that both Mikuni and Kazahari-rindo take about 37 minutes. And I think they are roughly the same distance, right? Maybe Kazahari is a little longer? While both are hard, I feel that Mikuni is tougher.
Deej

DEFINITELY! Mikuni is much harder! Minkuni is 6.7km, while Kazahari is only 5km (from the switchback-turn off). Also, Mikuni NEVER lets up! Kazahari has some "flatter" sections that let you recover a bit - Mikuni has none; even though I think both are just as steep in places. It's a matter of being able to rest on one & not being able to on the other.

BTW, HT5 is ready! Will post it soon!
T

Eeh! I always kind of thought my eyes were more "warm & deer-like":cool:

Oh, they usually are warm and deerlike, but on that day, at that moment, they were soulless and reptilian.

I never really worry about times too much unless they're "on the record" - but 37 minutes sounds about right (It's hard to tell when Thomas is bearing down on you!) But just to keep you happy, I think it was in the 39-40 minute range.

If you are counting from where the switchback starts, then add three (or more) minutes to your time, sucker. I'm counting from where 205 meets the rindo.

Deej

Back
Top Bottom