What's new

Hoso-o Toge 細尾峠

tamagojo

Speeding Up
Sep 25, 2009
I've been eyeballing it recently as a summer project. This is the old pass between the Watarase canyon and Nikko.

The wiki page says it is passable. The steepest grade seems to be 14 degrees with an average of 10. Photos (taken about five years ago) show it to be in relatively good condition.

Has anyone tried it?

Haven't been there but wouldn't be surprised Ludwig has...:)

Looks like a very nice pass with some interesting history behind it (functioned as the passage to the copper mine discovered there during the Meiji period).

According to Wikipedia the entire route is passable again (there was some rock slide near the entrance last Spring but this has been cleared away already)

2010年春に足尾側の入口付近が崩落して通行不能となっていたが、2010年夏頃に復旧し旧道区間は全線通行可能となっている。

I've been eyeballing it recently as a summer project. This is the old pass between the Watarase canyon and Nikko.

The wiki page says it is passable. The steepest grade seems to be 14 degrees with an average of 10. Photos (taken about five years ago) show it to be in relatively good condition.

Has anyone tried it?

Nice find! I have not done this yet, and wasn't aware of it because it isn't on most maps. I will certainly give it a try!

Old-school

Like everyone else, I couldn't find it on either Google or Yahoo Maps.
So I went old-school, pulled out the "Mapple", and voila!

5457691522_08eddf562f_b.jpg

This could make for a nice weekend reconnaissance run, if coupled with a Saturday ride up Edogawa/Rte.4/Tonegawa CR - 150km one-way from this side of Tokyo.

Nice find, Tamagojo!

Mapple rocks for rindo-hunting. One of my favorite Boso backroads doesn't exist on Google maps, and was found with photocopied Mapple pages in the back jersey pocket.

This could make for a nice weekend reconnaissance run, if coupled with a Saturday ride up Edogawa/Rte.4/Tonegawa CR - 150km one-way from this side of Tokyo.

Hm... Back in the saddle ride for when your elbow gets better? Count me in...

Hoso-o toge and Kasuo toge

I have done this area twice. One via Nissoku tunnel on #122, the other is Hoso-o toge. Nissoku tunnel is as dangerous as Sasago tunnel of Koshu kaido. I would never do this again. For Hoso-o toge, I did this one last Fall from Nikko side and found it passable without any issues even though the road surface is not too good, many fallen twigs and leaves and small rocks.

An interesting toge near-by is Kasuo toge on #15 toward Utsunomiya. Distance and gradient of both Hoso-o toge and Kasuo toge is identical. But the down hill from Kasuo toge to Utsunomiya is just splendid. It is a long long down hill.

Just FYI

Minoru Arai

Back
Top Bottom