What's new

Hood angle

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
I know that this is a bit of a personal preference thing, but how do you ride?

I keep the base (flat area) of the hoods level with the stem and gear wire that is under the bar tape, but I have seen some people with the hoods angled up and some with the hoods angled down.

That's an easy one. Set your bars, then step back and take a look. If they look cool:cool: then they are OK!
If you are naturally an uncool person, get a friend to check for you.

Personal preference, that might depend on hand position as well as stem length, eg shorter stem = hoods further down.

Another factor is straight or not. I tilt my levers slightly inside, because it gives me a rounder upper body position, with more force when sprinting.

I've been experimenting regarding this, and as a personal preference I enjoy a slightly upwards angle. Just a bit.

Personal
Another factor is straight or not. I tilt my levers slightly inside, because it gives me a rounder upper body position, with more force when sprinting.

:eek: A bit surprised by this! My levers were tilted very slightly to the inside due to, ahem, an accident :eek: . But when I got on the bicycle it actually felt quite good! So it kind of stuck with me.

So there you go: slightly upwards angle regarding the hoods and slightly inwards regarding the levers. :D

Definitely certain configurations are more aethestically appealling than others, and we could have a whole discussion on that, but at that the end of the day you've got go with what fits, what's functional, and what's comfortable.

Definitely go with the 'high-heels' style option.

Even if it nearly cripples you, it needs to look cool :cool:

My levers were tilted very slightly to the inside due to, ahem, an accident :eek:

Talking about hoods that have moved sideways, a couple of months ago I watched Tim crash at a HFC ride. He was riding on the hoods when one of them suddenly slipped, resulting in a sudden sideways motion of the handle bar and he went down :eek:

So you may want to check occasionally how firm they are in place!

Ergonomics sir!

You're wrist should not be bent when riding the hoods as seen here:

P10000511-500x375.jpg

So depending on stem length, bar width, etc your hood position will differ.

No that's GREAT! you know when you have the bike perfectly dialed in as you can sit in the drops all day.

Yeah, that is good!

Like FarEast said.

I actually found it really weird to ride in the drops for a very long time after getting my bike.

Honestly, only really just getting used to it. Doesn't mean I have been slow, or anything like that, but that position is so very different from MTB and BMX.

Really getting to love it now though, and feel that I am almost there with it.

I've been experimenting regarding this, and as a personal preference I enjoy a slightly upwards angle. Just a bit.

:eek: A bit surprised by this! My levers were tilted very slightly to the inside due to, ahem, an accident :eek: . But when I got on the bicycle it actually felt quite good! So it kind of stuck with me.

So there you go: slightly upwards angle regarding the hoods and slightly inwards regarding the levers. :D

Interesting for sure

Definitely certain configurations are more aethestically appealling than others, and we could have a whole discussion on that, but at that the end of the day you've got go with what fits, what's functional, and what's comfortable.

Well said, I am adjusting - going for a good ride - adjust - do it all over again

Talking about hoods that have moved sideways, a couple of months ago I watched Tim crash at a HFC ride. He was riding on the hoods when one of them suddenly slipped, resulting in a sudden sideways motion of the handle bar and he went down :eek:

So you may want to check occasionally how firm they are in place!

Brutal - I've always worried about that in the back of my mind

Ergonomics sir!

You're wrist should not be bent when riding the hoods as seen here:

P10000511-500x375.jpg

So depending on stem length, bar width, etc your hood position will differ.

Perfect, I'll ask the wife to take a pic like this and copy the advice

Back
Top Bottom