Hood angle

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
I know that this is a bit of a personal preference thing, but how do you ride?

I keep the base (flat area) of the hoods level with the stem and gear wire that is under the bar tape, but I have seen some people with the hoods angled up and some with the hoods angled down.

zenbiker

Maximum Pace
Mar 4, 2008
Chofu
That's an easy one. Set your bars, then step back and take a look. If they look cool:cool: then they are OK!
If you are naturally an uncool person, get a friend to check for you.

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
Personal preference, that might depend on hand position as well as stem length, eg shorter stem = hoods further down.

Another factor is straight or not. I tilt my levers slightly inside, because it gives me a rounder upper body position, with more force when sprinting.

Dec 17, 2011
kanazawa
I've been experimenting regarding this, and as a personal preference I enjoy a slightly upwards angle. Just a bit.

Personal
Another factor is straight or not. I tilt my levers slightly inside, because it gives me a rounder upper body position, with more force when sprinting.
:eek: A bit surprised by this! My levers were tilted very slightly to the inside due to, ahem, an accident :eek: . But when I got on the bicycle it actually felt quite good! So it kind of stuck with me.

So there you go: slightly upwards angle regarding the hoods and slightly inwards regarding the levers. :D

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
Definitely certain configurations are more aethestically appealling than others, and we could have a whole discussion on that, but at that the end of the day you've got go with what fits, what's functional, and what's comfortable.

Sep 2, 2009
Definitely go with the 'high-heels' style option.

Even if it nearly cripples you, it needs to look cool :cool:

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
My levers were tilted very slightly to the inside due to, ahem, an accident :eek:
Talking about hoods that have moved sideways, a couple of months ago I watched Tim crash at a HFC ride. He was riding on the hoods when one of them suddenly slipped, resulting in a sudden sideways motion of the handle bar and he went down :eek:

So you may want to check occasionally how firm they are in place!

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Ergonomics sir!

You're wrist should not be bent when riding the hoods as seen here:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stevehoggbikefitting.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F06%2FP10000511-500x375.jpg&hash=44a19740e35cb667428347b9cce0008e

So depending on stem length, bar width, etc your hood position will differ.

Sep 2, 2009
Yeah, that is good!

Like FarEast said.

I actually found it really weird to ride in the drops for a very long time after getting my bike.

Honestly, only really just getting used to it. Doesn't mean I have been slow, or anything like that, but that position is so very different from MTB and BMX.

Really getting to love it now though, and feel that I am almost there with it.

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
I've been experimenting regarding this, and as a personal preference I enjoy a slightly upwards angle. Just a bit.

:eek: A bit surprised by this! My levers were tilted very slightly to the inside due to, ahem, an accident :eek: . But when I got on the bicycle it actually felt quite good! So it kind of stuck with me.

So there you go: slightly upwards angle regarding the hoods and slightly inwards regarding the levers. :D
Interesting for sure

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Definitely certain configurations are more aethestically appealling than others, and we could have a whole discussion on that, but at that the end of the day you've got go with what fits, what's functional, and what's comfortable.
Well said, I am adjusting - going for a good ride - adjust - do it all over again

j-sworks

Maximum Pace
Feb 5, 2012
Tokyo
Talking about hoods that have moved sideways, a couple of months ago I watched Tim crash at a HFC ride. He was riding on the hoods when one of them suddenly slipped, resulting in a sudden sideways motion of the handle bar and he went down :eek:

So you may want to check occasionally how firm they are in place!
Brutal - I've always worried about that in the back of my mind