What's new

Holey Lycra

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Any good tips for fixing small holes in your gear?

I've got a few shorts with a tiny hole in each of them... these holes will get bigger quickly if I don't fix them properly.

Are there little patches you can buy somewhere that glue on?

Or any other secret tricks to repair?

I take my shorts to an old fashioned clothes shop around the corner. The old lady puts a small patch on the inside and sews it up.

For shorts damaged in crashes you can obviously see where the reapir has been done (ex: in the side panels) but for holes around the seems (ex. where the bib attaches to the lycra), you'd never know.

She charges 500 yen so I guess that's the going rate. The first time I went in she said she only repaired kimonos so it took a bit to win her round!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

These local places are great! I had my LOL (Local Old Lady) turn two pairs of shorts into bib shorts using a pair of donor shorts that were dead..... She charged me 2,000 yen and did a bloody great job!

I have the same problem. I sewed the arm warmers myself (2 small holes). And I plan to put some smiley face application thingie on a big hole in leg warmers - it's kinda tricky, not sure how it works yet.

Someone seriously needs to find us an iron-on stretchy patch thing with cute anime characters. I have same issue with sew-on , it just splits away after awhile.

Just went to a huge haberdashery at Laketown and got a lycra like iron on, cut it out, do it yourself patch kit.
Will put a sheet over the lycra while ironing so I don't melt it all...

Will post details later.

was quite cheap too....

Good grief! You guys are hard-core roadies and you're talking about patching your lycra?

Buy a new pair of shorts or whatever, fer christsakes.

Stop being wusses.

Good grief! You guys are hard-core roadies and you're talking about patching your lycra?

Buy a new pair of shorts or whatever, fer christsakes.

Stop being wusses.

I'll lend you one of my Airedale Terriers with claws like a lion for a week...who just can't wait for daddy to come home from his ride... and we'll see who is wussy...
:cool:

He got my newest pair this morning... :mad:

My wife's dog got mine, too - they were one of my favorite PI 3D's, grrr... The iron-on lycra patch seems spot on --- please post dets when you can. Have no clue how to find this in Japan - but maybe can order from somewhere..

mail

i don't know, i think stitching up yer gear is a good time for reflection. a healing time. especially if its a smash that did the ripping.

I'll lend you one of my Airedale Terriers with claws like a lion for a week...who just can't wait for daddy to come home from his ride... and we'll see who is wussy...
:cool:

He got my newest pair this morning... :mad:

(a late comment)

Too bad. We have a not-quite-full-sized dachs. The worst she does is lick sweat off my face/neck/hair when I get home. And I have to hold her for that to happen. Otherwise, she does my legs when she's on her back and supplicant.

"Otherwise, she does my legs when she's on her back and supplicant."

said the actress to the bishop...

Just found a few spare minutes to complete the task. That's all it took.

Details on my blog
The photos were all a bit too big so it's not lined up too well...may fix it later if I get some time.

The repair kit was bought at YUZAWAYA in Laketown Shopping Mall.

Print off the photo of the packet if you go to the shop yourself.
The shop staff didn't even know they had this on their racks.

I've used that stuff too. Find it tends to come unstuck after a while, with the rigours of cycling (and my sweating) so these days I sew around the edge once I've ironed it on.

--HF Mike--

Back
Top Bottom