What's new

Hokkaido: riding Otaru to Niseko

I did it the other way (Niseko to Otaru) in September 2015. I rode along pretty much the same route up until Akaigawa where I took Route 36 up to Yoichi and followed it along Otaru.

I'd recommend doing the route through the mountains via Route 343. Travelling along the coast was nice but Route 5 has terrible traffic and narrow tunnels. Plus, Akaigawa is absolutely beautiful and riding along Route 343 during early autumn is fantastic.

I did it the other way (Niseko to Otaru) in September 2015. I rode along pretty much the same route up until Akaigawa where I took Route 36 up to Yoichi and followed it along Otaru.

I'd recommend doing the route through the mountains via Route 343. Travelling along the coast was nice but Route 5 has terrible traffic and narrow tunnels. Plus, Akaigawa is absolutely beautiful and riding along Route 343 during early autumn is fantastic.

Thanks!

How mountainous is the mountain road?

I'll be riding 430 to 730 am on Saturday so maybe R5 won't be so busy.

I want to do the easiest route as I'll be racing on Sunday.

But if the mountain road is not too tough...

Any strava links?

Cheers,

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Thanks!

How mountainous is the mountain road?

I'll be riding 430 to 730 am on Saturday so maybe R5 won't be so busy.

I want to do the easiest route as I'll be racing on Sunday.

But if the mountain road is not too tough...

Any strava links?

Cheers,

Andy

Sorry, I wasn't able to record my rides up there. The mountain roads aren't too tough - I was carrying a fair bit of gear, alongside my 10kg bike and 13-26 cassette and managed fine. Climbs aren't short but they're not too steep either - when I checked I think it was about 5, 6km at about 4-5%. If you're racing though, maybe Route 5 is better. You'll still have to climb from Yoichi to Akaigawa but you've got a nice long descent into Kutchan, which is a stone's throw away from Niseko.

Sorry, I wasn't able to record my rides up there. The mountain roads aren't too tough - I was carrying a fair bit of gear, alongside my 10kg bike and 13-26 cassette and managed fine. Climbs aren't short but they're not too steep either - when I checked I think it was about 5, 6km at about 4-5%. If you're racing though, maybe Route 5 is better. You'll still have to climb from Yoichi to Akaigawa but you've got a nice long descent into Kutchan, which is a stone's throw away from Niseko.

Thanks again. Yes staying in Kutchan. Maybe take the easy route. Plenty of climbing to be had on race day...

Andy

Back
Top Bottom