What's new

Ride Hilly (but not too hilly...) routes near Tokyo

TonyT

Cruising
May 4, 2022
Hi all,
I got my first road bike a few months ago, and have been up and down the Tama River a thousand times since. Now I'm looking for some routes to build up my fitness for the hills. I did a nice route from Hashimoto to Otsuki along Doshi-michi, Route 76 and Route 35 (distance 63km, elevation 1,040m) the other day. If anyone's got any recommendations for similar routes within an hour's or so train ride from Mitaka, would appreciate it.

Well, pretty much wherever you go towards west of Tokyo, you will find decent hills.
"Tomin no mori" is a popular spot for hill climbing

Similar route. In summary go to Okutama and ride around until you get enough

"Tomin no mori" is a popular spot for hill climbing
Tomin no Mori is indeed a popular spot along a popular route. If you like sharing the road with morons riding overpowered motorbikes, it's just the climb for you! Even more fun are the souped-up cars. It is, of course, beneath the dignity of the driver of a car with aftermarket suspension and tuning to slow down behind cyclists; they will instead overtake. As bollards separate one side of the road from the other along some stretches, we cyclists can enjoy the thrill of close proximity to wing mirrors.

It's generally good on weekdays, however.

Though the fastest overtaking I've ever seen along there was on a weekday. A bulbous motorbike and a Porsche seemed to be vying for -- well, look in Youtube for "arkansas state police chase" to get the idea.

Weekends and holidays, there's a far better way to go up to Kazahari pass from the east. But it's steep. Now, you'd hate it. Aim for it next year.

The route from the centre of Hinohara up towards Tomin no Mori and the top of Kazahari is usually OK along its lower reaches. Perhaps go towards Tomin no Mori but turn left up route 33, through Kōbu tunnel at the top, and down to Uenohara and back home.

If you like Dōshi-michi going westwards, you should really enjoy route 35 as its northern alternative. Go along it up to Hinazuru tunnel, down to Tsuru station, and back home -- though this is quite a bit farther than you say you're hoping for.

Last edited:
This is more of a ride than you want but the portion I'd recommend to you is the Wada climb. Averages about a 7% grade, as long as you go up west to east, and is closer and not as high as Tomin. No speedsters on this route, or at least not on the several times I've done it. Take the train to Fujino on the Chuo line to start and Hachioji is available on the other side if you want to avoid the urban riding and instead train it back home.

@Chuck 's route is good. NB his descent from Wada to the east is steep: be sure that your brakes are in good nick. (Alternatively, turn left at the top and go back along Daigo rindō (the gravel section at its start is very short).

Tomin no Mori is indeed a popular spot along a popular route. If you like sharing the road with morons riding overpowered motorbikes, it's just the climb for you! Even more fun are the souped-up cars. It is, of course, beneath the dignity of the driver of a car with aftermarket suspension and tuning to slow down behind cyclists; they will instead overtake. As bollards separate one side of the road from the other along some stretches, we cyclists can enjoy the thrill of close proximity to wing mirrors.

It's generally good on weekdays, however.

I have been in Tomin no Mori (only) twice, one Saturday and one Sunday, and I don't recall a huge motorized traffic. Maybe I just got lucky.
On the other hand, Yabitsu and Tsubaki line tend to be more crowded, as for my impression.

Thanks for the recommendations all!

The Yabitsu Pass is exactly the sort of route I'm interested in at the moment. Might attempt it next week if it's not too hot/rainy.
I'm familiar with Tomin no Mori and Wada Pass from hiking. I remember taking a bus up to Tomin no Mori before I got my road bike earlier this year and looking on in awe at cyclists making their way up the mountain road. Definitely way beyond my capabilities at the moment, but if I can get my 40 something year old legs and body fit enough, in a year or two who knows...
@microcord Yes, Route 35 is an excellent one. I did a mix of that and Doshi-michi the other day and really enjoyed it.

@TonyT , "Tomin no Mori" (i.e. the parking lot, lavatories, and drinks machines for the actual Tomin no Mori) is just a stage towards (and near) the top of Kazahari pass. That ascent isn't steep; it's just long.

If you're only 40 something, lucky you. I'm much older. Yet I can (just about!) do climbs that are more arduous than that. Is this perhaps because I'm strong?

[Pause while people here who've met me can guffaw]

No, I'm not. Instead:

atlas6.jpeg
When I was your age I was like "Skinny" above, except that I was already grey-haired and wrinkly, and rather plump. So what did I do -- Did I write off to Charles Atlas? No I did nothing at all. (I never rode my perfectly good bike.) Years later, however, vanity pushed me to get a "new" (old) bike, and I had it set up with ridiculous-looking (but very sensible) low gears: 28 in the back, 24 in the front.

Yesterday I went up Wada, west to east. It was no longer than I'd remembered it to be, but it was steeper. No, it's not particularly steep; but I think it's sufficiently steep to make it a depressing experience for the beginning hill climber.

I suggest this:

The climb from the east to Tossaka (時坂, sometimes called Tokisaka) also isn't so gentle; but it's not long and it has wonderful views. The descent from it to the northwest -- if you're allowed to take it* -- is very steep, so treble-check your brakes before you set off. If after descending you're not up for another climb but would like another diversion, turn left at 17.8 km and go north to Kanoto rocks (神戸岩),** and back down.

Then back to the centre, such as it is, of Hinohara, and follow the day-trippers and joyriders towards Tomin no Mori. But go left and up to Kōbu tunnel (甲武トンネル). The climb isn't steep, and it's short. The descent via Yuzurihara and towards the centre of Uenohara also isn't steep, and it's a lot longer. (NB the road surface is rough in places: pay attention.)

Uenohara has plenty of good cheap places to have lunch. Feed your face, then make your way to Uenohara station for the ride back east.

* As far as I know, the route from the east to the top of Tossaka isn't blocked in any way. However, almost immediately beyond the top there are road works. These should be finished very soon; but while they continue you'll have to make a U-turn at the top.

** Go up the road till you arrive at a tunnel. Don't go through the tunnel; instead, lock your bike up there and walk along the path to your left.

Thanks @microcord Looks like a great route.
I'm familiar with the general area from hiking, and had already looked at Google Maps to see what the road between Musashi-Itsukaichi and Uenohara was like. I spotted the Kobu Tunnel, which being pretty long was a bit of a turn off, but I guess you just have to get used to cycling through tunnels in mountainous areas of Japan.

Got up early this morning and headed on one of those recommended hilly rides - Yabitsu Pass.
Apart from the annoying traffic between the Tama River and Hashimoto on my way out west, it was probably the most enjoyable bike ride I've done in Japan.

IMG_2471.jpegIMG_2473.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I got my first road bike a few months ago, and have been up and down the Tama River a thousand times since. Now I'm looking for some routes to build up my fitness for the hills. I did a nice route from Hashimoto to Otsuki along Doshi-michi, Route 76 and Route 35 (distance 63km, elevation 1,040m) the other day. If anyone's got any recommendations for similar routes within an hour's or so train ride from Mitaka, would appreciate it.
the first hills I took on were the ones around Takao station and rode up to the lake nearby, but was absolutely spent and took train back.

Hills in many places really were unforgiving with steepness going from flat to OMG! in a matter of minutes for me. The rolling hills of Tama area south of Cross Coffee seem to be popular training areas without the stupidly steep experiences in some mountain areas.

Took a spin up the Nariki-Kaido (Route 53) as far as Yamabushi Toge today. Stunning scenery and the climbs were mostly fairly gentle. I guess it's a well-known route, but highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been up there.
Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 22.26.21.pngIMG_2479.jpeg

Took a spin up the Nariki-Kaido (Route 53) as far as Yamabushi Toge today. Stunning scenery and the climbs were mostly fairly gentle. I guess it's a well-known route, but highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been up there.
im in that block between tokorozawa and kawagoe.
nariki / naguri / yamabushi is my go-to option. if im short on time, i turn back a few km before yamabushi. if i want to keep it longer, there are a lot of other climbs that connects to that route.
never gets old

Back
Top Bottom