What's new

Hill climbs and descents

Thien Che

Speeding Up
Sep 14, 2020
Happy Friday!

I'm looking for a nice and wide hill climb somewhere close to Tokyo proper to work on hill repeats and descents. It would be nice if the descent time could be > 1 min, but I understand this is pretty unreasonable to expect outside of the mountains. Outside of Tokyo proper, I suppose Takao is the default place to go for this?

Or, if there are any nice rolling hills in Tokyo with infrequent stop lights and traffic, that would be greatly appreciated!

There's the hill atop which stands Yomiuri-rando.

Perhaps I should train, but I don't. If I did, then yes, I think I'd do it at Takao. Minus: it's uninteresting. Pluses: it's wide, the surface is good, visibility is good. (Actually I'll be puffing and wheezing my way up tomorrow morning, on my way farther west.)

A few months ago, i was asking the same question. From what i could explore:

I did enjoy Takao, but i like steeper.
Near Takao you have Jinba-san, which is longer and steeper. A little bit further, you can go to Akiruno and all the surrounding area.
A few weeks ago, i did a loop starting from Akiruno (musashi Itsukaichi station) > Jinba-san > Somewhere in Uenohara > back to Akiruno. And then, back to Kawasaki.

Thanks for the shares! I'm definitely planning to make my way out to Takao one of these days.

Otherwise, I normally hit up the Komazawa-dori set of hills between Yutenji and Ebisu, which is short but steep enough to be a good punchy challenge right in the city. Very accessible for some of us more centrally located Tokyoites, and usually the traffic on the Ebisu side is easy to deal with whether ascending or descending. (Each ride line is a start of one hill, ends at the Meguro river at the bottom of both, in front of Nitori)hills.png

Any of these work for you?

@Thien Che , careful: I believe that one friend has been doored twice on that section. (And I've had one close shave too many.)

If you want little urban hills, then you could go from Gotanda NE to Takanawadai. And again. And again. And again. Wide road, good visibility.

There's not really any climbs with a descent longer than 1 min closer than Takao. Takao is good to practice descending though, especially the back side.
There are a bunch of climbs just over the Tama River with about 70 m elevation that are popular with cyclists.
This is the most popular one: https://www.strava.com/segments/836056
This one too: https://www.strava.com/segments/10765911

Back
Top Bottom