What's new

hill climbing/races in tokyo area

hairbear8850

climbing
Oct 16, 2009
hi everyone,
i have been living and working here on and off for some time now.but normally just leave the bike at home whilst i am in tokyo.this year i would like to get out of town a little and do some hill work. climbs that are relatively close to tokyo to avoid the whole travel with bike on train situation would be ideal.but not a deal breaker.
i cycling at advanced/elite level so really looking for rides that are quite challenging.i have races in europe and taiwan later in the year so i want to keep my fitness up.cycling around the palace in tokyo does not quite cut it.lol.
I would really like to get in contact with the guys that make the youtube videos "climbs of japan". they really seem to know their stuff.
i just joined this site so hoping to get some good info from everyone soon.cheers

Last edited:
Climbs in Japan is done by the one and only @saibot . Most of the rides featured are in the Kanto area but not a hop skip and a jump from Tokyo. I'm not sure about west out of Tokyo but going north, the nearest good climbs are about 60 to 70km out of Tokyo. There is a nice ride up the river to get there though so you don't really have to battle any traffic.

The nearest area of hilly terrain to Tokyo is just across the Tama River, which is to the south west of central Tokyo. Lots of smaller hills (50-100 m). This (link) is an example of the kind of riding to be done there.

There are larger hills a bit further West. Wada pass (link) is very popular, with many more around the same area.

Cycling out there can be a long slog though. If you are staying in a fixed location we can recommend the easiest trains to take to do some serious climbing. If you can choose where to stay, Shinjuku is very good for quick trains out to mountainous areas in the West.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies guys.i am hoping to meet up with a few more riders in tokyo and head out for some rides in the coming days,weeks and months.maybe if some are driving out to the further out climbs i can tag along and help with gas and tolls etc.or learn the rail system and taking bikes on trains.certainly would be nice to go out with people that know where they are going and what they are doing.i have a friend that has a house near mt asama.which i believe is good for riding.but getting there is a pain.cheers blair

@hairbear8850 when are you next going to be here? What days are you looking to ride? We usually head out on a Saturday morning and hit the mountains in Saitama, stop for lunch then either ride to a station and get the train home or ride home (from now, due to the evenings getting longer, I will be almost always riding home). We usually clock between 120 and 200km (depending on if you ride home or not) with between 2000 and 3000m of elevation gain.

i am in japan now.i live in akasaka.what time do you usually head out.i need to be on the bike early as i have work in the afternoons sometimes.

Last edited:
why am i not allowed to enter my number??seems so much easier to be able to organise things that way.no where on this website was i ever told that you cannot enter your phone number in posts.jesus!!!!!relax dude!!! taking things a little serious man!!!

I think it is you that needs to relax mate.

I am telling you not to put your phone number and email on the site for your own protection; spamming, phishing, stalking, etc. are all risks for putting your contact details directly in the thread. I removed them from your first comment with a message. You then proceeded to include them again in subsequent posts.

If people want to ride with you, they can PM you and exchange contact info that way.

LOL, are you a bit mental, or just peaking on your current testosterone cycle?

Looking forward to riding with you whatever.

Brilliant. The 'nonsense' was started when you, instead of starting a thread asking for rides, sent a PM to a random selection of members.

Anyway, again, if you do get some people to ride with you and I come along, I look forward to the schooling you give me in speed. Always good to ride with super fast people.

to all of you out there i have been on this site for all of a few hours.

Untitled-2.png

Oh really. LOL.

Anyway, all good mate. Would still be cool to ride with you, even though I am now not allowed to.

Cool, yeah?

I think it is perfectly clear to everyone.

1. You posted your personal info in the first comment. I removed that with a perfectly reasonable note to not post your personal info.
2. You then carried on posting your personal info, which I then removed and posted another note for you to stop posting your personal info FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION MATE.
3. This triggered you to go into meltdown, which is still ongoing.

Again, all good mate. As I have said a few times already, would be good to ride with you.

you made your point.i honestly did not know or see your note about adding the contact info.if i had i would never have listed it not once but twice.if i make mistakes here or do something wrong then not a problem to let me know.but other than that i have no interest to chat or ride with you. you are on this site playing god and adding what you want and deleting what i write and i cannot win a losing battle against you.nor do i really want to.i came on here to get some info so i can ride and train for later in the year. i think you and i are pretty much done.maybe you are a really nice guy in person. but you rubbed me up the wrong way. and call me stubborn but i dont forget that easily.you have ruined this post and now people are reading this and thinking we are both idiots.i am as much to blame.but you run this site.you should know better.goodbye!!!

Back
Top Bottom