What's new

Tech high effort to shift front derailleur

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
Recently my front derailleur cable was beginning to fray and replaced it with fresh wires. I kept the outer housing in place. There was a bit of a drag pushing the wires in but since it was the first time I've done this, I'm not too sure what is normal.

Now going from little ring ring to big ring requires high effort. Big ring to little ring snaps down instantly and with authority. Front derailleur shifting was always a bit of high effort but now it's worrying high.

What went wrong here?
  • I don't think it's cable drag. Big ring to little ring shifts are instant and crisp.
  • Is there a tension adjustment on the front derailleur?
The brifter is Shimano Ultegra and front derailleur is a Shimano Tiagra. (A bit of mutt... Maybe it's time to go get a matching set.)

-Did you spray lube down the outers before sliding the new cable through?
-Any kinks in the cable?
-Did you connect it to the front mech correctly?

If yes to all these questions, just get some new outers and be done with it.

I think Y,N,Y vs all Y is best.
-Any kinks in the cable?

So a kinked cable is OK? :)

I had this issue initially when I first got my (new) bike. Shifting up to the big ring was a major effort. I thought there was no way this could be right. It turned out that the cable was mounted incorrectly (in my case) to the front mech. Can't recall in what way but have a quick look at some web manual for the correct way to wire it for your mech. There is a long way and a short way as far as I recall and one of them requires more effort.

-Any kinks in the cable?

Lube - no. Anything specific? WD-40? silicone? gear oil?
Kinks - no. Had an issue threading from the brifter to the outer cable, but that was part of the cable that was cut off.
Connection - yes. Hard to see how it could be done incorrectly. Seem to be idiot proof... But I am a pretty ingenious idiot.

So I'll review how to connect the wire to the front derailuer, and redo the cabling tonight with lube.

Pffffttt... I am an idiot.

After reviewing the documentation, I installed the wire incorrectly. Will field repair and report back tonight.

Problem solved. Little ring to big ring shift action back to normal feel, a bit on the heavy side.

Back
Top Bottom