What's new

Hi there

Hennie Pelser

RABUBI
Oct 17, 2016
Hello everyone.

Been watching the site on and off. I am currently in South Africa, and regularly travel to japan, staying in Yokohama. What is the cycling scene like there?

Any organized rides over early mornings in the week or weekends, road or mtb?

I usually just pack my running shoes, but might consider getting a bike on that side.

Thanks

H.

Oh by the way, if you are wondering what the cycling scene in south Africa is like, its massive. below is the link to our cycling forum

Road cycling was historically very big, but is being overtaken by mtb. It is huge, at some stage we were the biggest consumers of 29ers in the world

http://www.bikehub.co.za

88 views, no replies, not even a hello, welcome to the site...
Hi Hennie
To be honest I thought you were a bot at first, promoting your website. Guess I was wrong. Sorry about that. Welcome to the forum. We head out on rides most weekends but we go up to northern Saitama which is pretty far from Yokohama. It's nice riding up there though.
There are a few guys down your way. Hopefully they chime in soon.

Cool thanks

In hindsight, sharing our local forum in my second post looks suspect.

Will keep an eye on the thread.

Hi and welcome to the TCC site and Japan.

Like leicaman said, we have rides most weekends. There is a Sunday early morning ride we have nearly every week. It is posted on the site. Looks like this week there is no ride though. There are other rides posted as well. Also if you are interested there is another group "Half Fast Cycling". More organized rides, various levels of rides and distances.

Some jerk(me) down in Zushi (hour south of Yokohama) seems to organize MTB rides, but only 20% of the time tells people.
I am on a trail somewhere at least 3 weekend out of a month and several times a week.
I also organize some road rides on occasion, but that has been passed off to another buddy who is more consistent and ambitious on the road.
When the time comes - I can point you toward road/off-road if you are willing to head 25km south of Yokohama.

I am now moving to Japan on 1 April for a few years. Bringing my trail shoes and mountainbike.

Looking forward to plenty weekend rides

April - boo on the timing. You will get here and start to get settled in... then you will want to MTB.
JUST in time for the snakes and spiders to come out!

The good news - we still ride, just the poor bastard upfront get covered in webs.

Also - come summer time, there are a few MTB parks and trail tours worth visiting. So ultimately there is always something to ride.
Be sure to follow up when things get closer and I can let you know what is upcoming on the schedule.

Last edited:
I lived in chinatown for 2 years. There arent many convinient trails that are bike friendly. But not too far from some trails

Welcome to the site. I live in Yokohama. A Miura Hanto or Boso Hanto ride is a good day trip with a ferry ride from Kurihama across Uraga Suido (south Tokyo Bay) if you do the Boso (Chiba) ride.

Hi... Haven't been on the site for a while. Just saw your post. I have a kind of regular ride I do that goes from up near Machida, down the cycling road to Enoshima, across to either Rte 62 or 72, up to Hadano. Depending on my mood, I either do Yabitsu toge to Miyagase, then back to where I started via relatively uncongested roads, or I get on the train at Hadano and rinko back. Amounts to about 130 km route if I do Yabitsu. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post the route I take. I tend to take the ride at a slow pace... 25-30kph on flats, climbing...whatever I can muster (especially on north approach to Yabitsu). I tend not to stop long for breaks (especially in winter when daylight is short). If you're interested in the route and my riding style suits you, I'll let you know next time I do the route.

Hi... Haven't been on the site for a while. Just saw your post. I have a kind of regular ride I do that goes from up near Machida, down the cycling road to Enoshima, across to either Rte 62 or 72, up to Hadano. Depending on my mood, I either do Yabitsu toge to Miyagase, then back to where I started via relatively uncongested roads, or I get on the train at Hadano and rinko back. Amounts to about 130 km route if I do Yabitsu. If you're interested, let me know and I'll post the route I take. I tend to take the ride at a slow pace... 25-30kph on flats, climbing...whatever I can muster (especially on north approach to Yabitsu). I tend not to stop long for breaks (especially in winter when daylight is short). If you're interested in the route and my riding style suits you, I'll let you know next time I do the route.
Hi, sounds like some similar routes I do with some other riding buddies. When do you go? What days? Times? I would be interested in joining you.

I go when my schedule, mood and weather permits. Probably gonna do it tomorrow. I'll be on the cycling road south of Machida by about 9 to 9:30. If you're interested, let me know and we can figure out a good place on the cycling road to meet.

I go when my schedule, mood and weather permits. Probably gonna do it tomorrow. I'll be on the cycling road south of Machida by about 9 to 9:30. If you're interested, let me know and we can figure out a good place on the cycling road to meet.
Hi, tomorrow is a busy day, but free on Wednesday. If that doesn't work, let me know other days and times. Also we have a regular ride on Sunday mornings if you want to join us.

I am now in Japan as part of my handover and relocation. we will be staying close to Honmokusanchu park, near the YC&AC club. is there any regular rides in that area?
I will be moving officially april this year

Thanks

Yes that's the one.

Nice area to run, but no Idea if you can get a proper training ride in early morning.

I will just take my bike and go explore

Back
Top Bottom