What's new

Hi! Recent Aussie transplant to Tokyo

fixiechimp

Cruising
Sep 10, 2020
Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself.
I moved to Tokyo in Feb from Melbourne Australia. In the past have been an occasional rider who spent more time in the saddle commuting riding whilst living in Manhattan on an entry level Bianchi (which I sold) compared to my time living in Melbourne.

Looking to buy another bike in Tokyo and join in with the riding community here.

Anyone have any advice on fixed gear NJS frames and parts for someone on a budget? (other than yahoo auctions and NJS export)

Cheers!

Absolutely no help at all, but I did spend my formative years in Belgrave so it's nice to see another Melburnian. Welcome!

I haven't been there for a year or so, but back then Tempra stocked a selection of used NJS frames, well within your budget.

Remember that while NJS frames may be strong, used ones will have undergone repeated sprints (and, possibly, worse). So examine carefully.

You might consider a new one: your size, your chosen looks. Not just from one of the brands you've heard of (which are likely to be expensive), but from a small (probably one-man) operation. Ohtaki, for example. No, this isn't "off-brand"; it's NJS. I've only ever seen one Ohtaki frame: it was a road bike, but beautifully done.

this shop

they have a selection of fixies. also branches in Harajuku and Yokohama.

I haven't been there for a year or so, but back then Tempra stocked a selection of used NJS frames, well within your budget.

Remember that while NJS frames may be strong, used ones will have undergone repeated sprints (and, possibly, worse). So examine carefully.

You might consider a new one: your size, your chosen looks. Not just from one of the brands you've heard of (which are likely to be expensive), but from a small (probably one-man) operation. Ohtaki, for example. No, this isn't "off-brand"; it's NJS. I've only ever seen one Ohtaki frame: it was a road bike, but beautifully done.

Sorry for such a late response - appreciate your reply.

I will check out the 2 suggestions!!

What do I need to look out for with respect to inspecting the frames other than dents and rust? Is a dented top tube a really bad sign?

There is a Brotures close by in Kichijoji so will check it out soon as well though would prefer not to have a Leader or Cinelli...

most dented top tubes are from bars swinging around and wacking them. Not a problem, just cover it with a bar protector. Check that the forks are straight but TBH if you are buying from a shop they will have done that. Cosmetically there may be scrapes and scratches but these NJS bikes are tools, they will have been used at the price you are looking at. Rust is not a biggie either, usually. Sounds like you want a Japanese frame so ask the shops for those and the whole NJS thing is mostly hipsters trying to buy some cachet IMO.

What do I need to look out for with respect to inspecting the frames other than dents and rust? Is a dented top tube a really bad sign?

I am no expert [understatement of the year] but I'd look for any unexplained irregularities, such as rippled paint. (You might feel for this, too.) Not that cosmetics matter in themselves, but they might result from fixes to damage. Look particularly at the down tube and top tube near where they join the head tube. And look for cracks around the seat cluster and bottom bracket, and at either end of the bridges across the seatstays and chainstays.

By rejecting Cinellis you're denying yourself the opportunity to ride a frame telling the world it is (they are?) "Bootleg Mystic Rats".

Late to the party but I've recently upgraded and looking to sell my "old" bike" for 130,000 JPY.

It's a 2020 Canyon Endurace AL 7.0, 4 months/700 km of use, rim brake version, size M (just a little larger than 54 cm).

Maybe not as slick as a steel fixie and a bit above your budget but looks good in race red!

Edit: ah sorry, just re-read and saw you're only looking for NJS. Apologies!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom