What's new

Help Hi, just in town for a few days, place to rent a bike near the arawara river?

tedt

Warming-Up
Jun 25, 2015
Hi All-
I am in town from San Francisco for just a few days. I am an avid, road, CX and city cyclist. Can someone recommend a place to rent a bike near the Arawara river, which from reading threads seems like the best place to get going from Tokyo, or another good riding launch spot? I don't need a great bike, just something so I can get a taste of doing some rec riding in Tokyo. You like look a fun group, and I'd like ride with you all, but it seems ambitious to figure out the logisitcs of getting a bike and meeting up. I wasn't able to find any threads with similar bike rental info. Thanks very much.

I don't say there is no such place up there, but I don't know of one. (And a few weeks ago, I actually looked, on behalf of a friend.)

The Arakawa (Ara river) is pleasant but unexciting for two or three dozen kilometres out of the stretch that's closest to central Tokyo. This makes it similar to the Tamagawa (Tama river). But close to the Tamagawa is G S Astuto, which rents out bikes. Hill climbs are within reach of the Tamagawa: try searching in this website for "Okutama" and "Wada". (There are plenty more destinations that are further.)

You could stay somewhere WSW of central Tokyo, and this bike store and the centre of town would then both be within fairly easy reach.

If you suffer from insomnia or insanity -- er sorry I mean if you really want practice, take a look at this thread about Tuesday mornings.

So far as you plan to be a city cyclist, remember that, contrary to myth, yes bikes do get stolen in Tokyo.

@microcord Thank you for your reply, and the information on the rivers. I will check out the shop. I would love to join the Tuesday ride and if I can work out the logistics I will be there. I am in town now, staying with my wife and kids in Shimokitazawa. They are used to having me out of the house on mornings for rides!

I join the Tuesday rides and live just a couple of stops down from you. I can show you the way to the meeting point if you manage to get a bike.

@GrantT - thanks very much for the offer. at this point i don't think i'll be able to pull it together but will let you know if i do. your offer is very tempting and if tomorrow isn't too busy i will try to make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom