What's new

Hi from Nishi-Chiba (looking for weekend road riding)

HansN

Warming-Up
Jul 6, 2014
Hi fellow riders,

I am a 27yo german physics student and arrived yesterday in Nishi-Chiba.
I am going to visit Chiba University until mid. September. As far as cycling goes I mainly do XC-AM style mountain-biking but I also enjoy road riding.

I brought my 2009 c-dale caad9 with me that I rode today. I am amazed by the nice pavement you guys have here. This could be roadies heaven :). Still have to hit up a bikeshop, to get my rear derailleur fine-tuned. Was dismounted during transportation and is out of true now.

Anyways - I was wondering whether anyone local would be interested in riding together, preferably on weekends in the morning (something like 20-40 miles loop, 15-20 mph) . Unfortunately I don't speak any japanese, but I do enjoy company.

Cheers,
Hans

Attachments

• IMG_6985.JPG
    IMG_6985.JPG
    410 KB · Views: 21
Hi! I used to live in Nishi-Chiba until about a year and a half ago. If you haven't already found them, Seo Cycle in between Chiba Station and Nishi Chiba Station is an all right place to get your bike worked on. Mizutani Cycle in Shin-Kemigawa was and still is my main shop.
A good place to do loops in Chiba is Inage Kaigan and the Hanamigawa Cycling Road. For hills you have to go south into the peninsula. For proper mountains you have to go west of Tokyo.
I now live in Sodegaura, about 30 minutes south of Chiba City on the Uchibo Line. If you ever want a tour of the hilly south of Chiba let me know.

My old route up the Hanamigawa and around Inbanuma. You can continue all the way up to Ibaraki-Ken and continue along the Tonegawa.

Last edited:
Hi - thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Hoping for a dry weekend, so I can checkout your proposed route :).
Do you know whether one is allowed to transport bicycles on the train? If so, I am indeed tempted to pedal some hills in your area at some point.

Regarding non-metric vs metric: can't agree more. I currently live (+ride) in the US and so over the time I sort of wound up using non-metric in english context. Actually non-metric weights and volumes are even worse. Anyways - thanks for the reminder.

Hi - thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Hoping for a dry weekend, so I can checkout your proposed route :).
Do you know whether one is allowed to transport bicycles on the train? If so, I am indeed tempted to pedal some hills in your area at some point.

Regarding non-metric vs metric: can't agree more. I currently live (+ride) in the US and so over the time I sort of wound up using non-metric in english context. Actually non-metric weights and volumes are even worse. Anyways - thanks for the reminder.
If the weather report for Sunday holds I might be up for a ride up the Hanamigawa cycling road. How about it? There are a few kilometers of dirt and gravel which some people don't like to ride on skinny road bike tires, but I've done it on 25mm tires dozens of times. If you have them fatter tires are better though.

The forecast is indeed promising. Your plan sounds good to me.
My tires are 23mm, but as long as the dirt is not really bad and we reduce the pace in that section it should be fine.

Looking forward!

If the weather report for Sunday holds I might be up for a ride up the Hanamigawa cycling road. How about it? There are a few kilometers of dirt and gravel which some people don't like to ride on skinny road bike tires, but I've done it on 25mm tires dozens of times. If you have them fatter tires are better though.
I do not get out there often, but you can probably avoid the gravel with the first part of these routes.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199834839
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/308559024

The forecast is indeed promising. Your plan sounds good to me.
My tires are 23mm, but as long as the dirt is not really bad and we reduce the pace in that section it should be fine.

Looking forward!
Do you think you can meet me at Chiba Minato Station at 9am? The full loop with a lap around the lake should be about 80 km. We can shorten or lengthen however you prefer.

I do not get out there often, but you can probably avoid the gravel with the first part of these routes.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199834839
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/308559024
There are a few ways around the unpaved portions, but those parts are also my favorite bit of the ride. I'll be riding fat tires either way, so doesn't matter much to me so long as anyone tagging along is ok with it.

I'll be there at 9 am, waiting in front of the station. 80km should be fine. May have to refill water, though.
Cheers!

got my derailleur adjusted at seo's. turns out they have saturday group rides starting at the shop :)

see you at minato station tomorrow.

great riding. had a lot of fun. thanks for coming out (and showing me how to operate my washing machine) :)

Back
Top Bottom