Hi from Ebina

Bruce71

Warming-Up
Jul 17, 2012
Ebina
Hi,

My name is Bruce and I am new here. I have been in Japan for a year and a half and have gained a fair amount of weight. I have decided to take up cycling as a hobby to help get back in shape/lose a bit of weight. A bit worried as my right knee has been giving me problems since I tried to kneel like the Japanese do all the time at home. Will get it checked out I guess when I go for my physical.

I bought and Giant Defy 3 in Hon Atsugi last week and just picked it up today. Rode it all the way home to Ebina, Kashiwadai station, to be more exact.

My last bike was a Gerry Fischer mountain bike I bought almost 20 years ago. Riding my new bike was a huge difference, loved it. I started off on the sidewalk, as the shifters were very different and then eventually progressed to the road. It felt like I was going very fast on the sidewalk as I flew by mama-chari`s. I thought I was doing great until halfway up my first hill. It seemed so much smaller when I started, was hurting a lot by the time I got to the top :eek:

Upon dismounting when I arrived home my legs were a bit wobbley. Saw my face in the mirror and thought I had a nasty sunburn, turns out it was either from the exertion or the heat, as I looked normal after an hour. Had a two hour nap and feel felt pretty good, just the knee is a bit sore.

Hoping to eventully do a 1 hour ride every morning and lose the beer belly, guess I will have to drink less beer as well :eek:

Yamabushi

Maximum Pace
Jun 1, 2010
Tokyo (Nezu)
fudoushin.com
Hi,

My name is Bruce and I am new here. I have been in Japan for a year and a half and have gained a fair amount of weight. I have decided to take up cycling as a hobby to help get back in shape/lose a bit of weight. A bit worried as my right knee has been giving me problems since I tried to kneel like the Japanese do all the time at home. Will get it checked out I guess when I go for my physical.

I bought and Giant Defy 3 in Hon Atsugi last week and just picked it up today. Rode it all the way home to Ebina, Kashiwadai station, to be more exact.

My last bike was a Gerry Fischer mountain bike I bought almost 20 years ago. Riding my new bike was a huge difference, loved it. I started off on the sidewalk, as the shifters were very different and then eventually progressed to the road. It felt like I was going very fast on the sidewalk as I flew by mama-chari`s. I thought I was doing great until halfway up my first hill. It seemed so much smaller when I started, was hurting a lot by the time I got to the top :eek:

Upon dismounting when I arrived home my legs were a bit wobbley. Saw my face in the mirror and thought I had a nasty sunburn, turns out it was either from the exertion or the heat, as I looked normal after an hour. Had a two hour nap and feel felt pretty good, just the knee is a bit sore.

Hoping to eventully do a 1 hour ride every morning and lose the beer belly, guess I will have to drink less beer as well :eek:
Welcome! Where exactly is you knee soreness? Front, back, inside, outside, etc.? Also just one knee or both?

Dec 17, 2011
kanazawa
Hello Bruce and welcome to the forum!

I bought a Defy 3 myself about half a year ago, it'll definitely serve your commuting purposes!

Regarding the knee pain, body stance when riding could probably make a big difference. Try to find a posture that suits you best by adjusting saddle height/position and possibly stem length. You'll probably find out what suits you pretty fast!

Cheers and enjoy riding!

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Welcome and take it easy for the first couple of weeks, your knee has done no cycling for years and now you're working it pretty hard. Start slowly or be forced to take a longer break. Cut down to shorter slower rides or only a few times a week.
Take care out there.
KS

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Welcome to TCC!

Bike fit can make a big difference with knee pain. I used to get knee problems on bikes where I couldn't raise the saddle high enough (my old MTB + my wife's mamachari) but am fine with my road bike with the proper setup, as long as I have enough gears to keep up my cadence on climbs.

Plan for a mix of exercise and rest days. You get stronger during your recovery period and avoid injury. Always keep some days to take it easy. Nothing is worse for your exercise than having to take time out due to injury after overdoing it.

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
Kanagawa
Hi Bruce, you certainly live in a good place for cycling. I live in Yamato, about 20 minutes by bike from you so I'm happy to show you some of the nice places to head out on the bike:)

Bruce71

Warming-Up
Jul 17, 2012
Ebina
Thanks for all the replies. Knee pain started before the bike, think from sitting on my knees too much in Japan, comes and goes now. Will take it easy.

Mike, thanks for the offer, will take you up on it when I get in a bit better shape :)