Hi from Australia

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Hi,
My name is Jon and I live in Sydney Australia. My wife of 5 years is Japanese and she will be making her first trip back to Japan this October. I will be going with her and we might be making frequent trips to Japan to visit her parents over the coming years.
I do a fair bit of riding in Sydney, everyday as a commuter and some touring as well. My commutes to and from work are about 70km and it takes me just as long in a car as it does on my bike. Anyone who has lived in Sydney would probably understand why that would be the case.
Anyway, I was told that we might be visiting Japan more frequently. As I love cycling and it is such a way of life for me in Australia, I thought I should also sign up with TCC and hopefully get to meet some like minded people.

Cheers,
Jon

Jun 18, 2011
Okayama
Hi Jon,

I am originally from Sydney myself and it sounds like much hasn't changed. I'm not really surprised. Where abouts in Sydney are you?

There is some great riding in the mountains in this country, hope you can enjoy some of it when you come over.

Stay safe and good luck staying away from angry bogan 4wd drivers.

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Hi Jon,

I am originally from Sydney myself and it sounds like much hasn't changed. I'm not really surprised. Where abouts in Sydney are you?

There is some great riding in the mountains in this country, hope you can enjoy some of it when you come over.

Stay safe and good luck staying away from angry bogan 4wd drivers.
Hi Paul,
I have only been living in Sydney for two years, previously from Melbourne and South East Gippsland. Currently living in Hornsby Heights. There are heaps of rides around my area and safe from 4WD bogans..... mostly. The cyclist-motorist attitude here is improving but still a long way to go. From what I have read in this forum, Japanese motorist are more patient. Most accidents appear to be due to driver being negligent rather than driver trying to kill cyclist.
I just found out that my father-inlaw lives yesterday. We had a look on the map yesterday and it was near the Tokyo Bay. East of it, and the nearest train station started with the letter T. Was it Tojo..... station? Anyway, it is quite a hike to the start of R299 so I might have to take a train there.

Jon

Jun 18, 2011
Okayama
Hornsby isn't too bad of a place at all, close to the bush. I imagine there would be a fair few trails around too? Do you ride up the Old Pacific Hwy? Would be interested in what's good for when I do occasionally go back, so I can have a ride there myself. My parents are up in Nelson Bay, so I was thinking of riding up there from Berowra along the coast/Old Pacific Hwy when I go back next.

People are way less aggressive here, elderly drivers are a bit of a worry though. Most of the mountain roads out here (I'm in the sticks) have little to no traffic at all.

I'm very far away from Tokyo, but I hope you can get a nice ride in when you come here.

Hi Paul,
I have only been living in Sydney for two years, previously from Melbourne and South East Gippsland. Currently living in Hornsby Heights. There are heaps of rides around my area and safe from 4WD bogans..... mostly. The cyclist-motorist attitude here is improving but still a long way to go. From what I have read in this forum, Japanese motorist are more patient. Most accidents appear to be due to driver being negligent rather than driver trying to kill cyclist.
I just found out that my father-inlaw lives yesterday. We had a look on the map yesterday and it was near the Tokyo Bay. East of it, and the nearest train station started with the letter T. Was it Tojo..... station? Anyway, it is quite a hike to the start of R299 so I might have to take a train there.

Jon

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Hi Paul,
The old pacific Highway is a very good nice road to ride on. On the weekdays, it is empty and I do a nice loop before work when time permits. On weekends, there are many cyclist and a few motorcyclist who use the road. A nice ride would be from Hornsby to Calga return, which would be ~ 100km round trip. There are also a number or nice routes around Berowra Waters, Arcadia and Galston.
I have confirmed with my wife that we will be in a place near Toyocho Station. Just looking at the map, it looks like a complicated way to connect to R299 and I think a train might be the best option for me. I was thinking a train to Iruma or Hanno and connect to the R299 from there.

Jon