What's new

Hi all

tamagojo

Speeding Up
Sep 25, 2009
My name is Joanna and I have been reading this site for a while and I thought I should make an introduction.
I am from Australia. I live in Takasaki and work as an ALT. I have been riding a cheap hybrid bike as a commuter and sometimes a little further recreationally. (furthest being 70k in one day)

In October 2009, I bought myself a birthday present – an Anchor RA6. It is a nice entry level road bike. It feels so fast! It has taken me from Takasaki to Tokyo a couple of times. Last year I went to Hokkaido and took the bike places that the train couldn't take me. I've also done a couple of overnight trips, one of the best being to Oigami Onsen and Fukiware Falls.

So I hope I can continue to learn a heap from you here and maybe meet up to ride sometime, when I am not 'climbing well for my weight,' but truly climbing well. Or in the unlikely event that you do a flatter ride on a day I can actually get there (must... organize... ride…)

As a side note I am considering what to do next… tossing up between building a dedicated wet weather bike with fenders (sick of getting water sprayed in my face from my own wheels, or in my left shoe) or a fixed gear (heard it's one of the best ways to learn how to get good power from your legs, but leary of the whole fixed thing)

... or a fixed gear (heard it's one of the best ways to learn how to get good power from your legs, but leary of the whole fixed thing)
Oh no! Don't get him started. :D

Welcome to the forums, Joanna.

Hello.

I sometimes ride to Takasaki with the guys from my local bike shop. We go from Omiya in Saitama, through Kumagaya and up to Takasaki, then back down again.

This is kind of a straight line training ride along the Arakawa to Kumagaya, then up through Honjo and onto Takasaki

Feel free to join us if you want. Not sure when the next one is, but I will post it on here when it happens.

Takasaki to Nagano is one of my most memorable rides... (not on Rt 18 but 406 &145...

Nice spot to be for cycling.... :D

Feel free to join us if you want. Not sure when the next one is, but I will post it on here when it happens.

Thank you. I will do this. I need to learn to ride with other people.

Takasaki to Nagano is one of my most memorable rides... (not on Rt 18 but 406 &145...

Gunma is gorgeous. But I have never done that route by bicycle. Motorbike however... Must try by bicycle one day

There are many really nice backroads to explore as well.

Back
Top Bottom