What's new

Hi all! Former cyclist, current fatty, looking to get back into riding.

gerardn

Cruising
Jul 6, 2020
As per the title! I used to ride a lot back in the UK but since moving to Japan haven't had much chance, looking to get back into riding.

I used to ride a bit of track and my fixie was my go to around London, along with an old 80's Merckx that I sold before moving over here. Still have my fixed but it's in bad nick and I am looking to get a new road bike if anyone has any tips. Ideally looking for an older CAAD (3-8 or so) or similar and I keep scouring Mercari and some of the online shops but not finding a whole lot right now. Any leads would be appreciated! Probably need a 54/56 frame size.

I am based in Yokohama but moving into Tokyo next Spring so hopefully will have a bike set up and can meet some of you for rides in the future!

Cheers

Caad 3 - 1" steer tube.
Caad 4 - Transition year -some had 1" some had 1 1/8" steer tube
Caad 5+ - 1 1/8 - Integrated headset
Caad 5/6 - Stiffer than Caad 4 (but not by much)
Caad 6 - Integrated hollowgram crankset (As they called it)
Caad 7 - fork rake changes were made (not for the better depending on who you ask)
Caad 8 is nice. :)

I worked for one of the largest Cannondale shops in the world in the last 90s early 2000s.
I watched the road bikes go from brutally stiff to quite compliant (comparatively).
However I have always preferred steel bikes and that also pissed off my employer at the time.
I would ride my Jamis Dragon or my old Bianchi Eros to work.
All the employees had parking in the rack near the front door except me....
My bikes were always parked in the warehouse to ensure "they don't confuse customers"

I do miss working in bike shops - however I don't miss that one.

unused. Sora components but it is a 54.

welcome to TCC

Something like a CAAD3 is ancient technology, I recommend you start with a CAAD8–CAAD12. There are plenty of CAAD10s on the market, especially if you are ok with a 54 cm frame. 56 cm frames in Japan are very rare, and probably the best source for them is this forum in fact ;)

In fact, if you wait for a while, offers like this one will pop up. (That particular bike has already been sold, but IMHO would have been a better deal than a used CAAD8.)

Hi Gerard
I've got a 56 sized Wilier for sale with a set of spare wheels. Check it out at the link below. I'll pay postage if you can't make it to Nagano.

Caad 3 - 1" steer tube.
Caad 4 - Transition year -some had 1" some had 1 1/8" steer tube
Caad 5+ - 1 1/8 - Integrated headset
Caad 5/6 - Stiffer than Caad 4 (but not by much)
Caad 6 - Integrated hollowgram crankset (As they called it)
Caad 7 - fork rake changes were made (not for the better depending on who you ask)
Caad 8 is nice. :)

I worked for one of the largest Cannondale shops in the world in the last 90s early 2000s.
I watched the road bikes go from brutally stiff to quite compliant (comparatively).
However I have always preferred steel bikes and that also pissed off my employer at the time.
I would ride my Jamis Dragon or my old Bianchi Eros to work.
All the employees had parking in the rack near the front door except me....
My bikes were always parked in the warehouse to ensure "they don't confuse customers"

I do miss working in bike shops - however I don't miss that one.

Thia is great advice, thanks very much!

Something like a CAAD3 is ancient technology, I recommend you start with a CAAD8–CAAD12. There are plenty of CAAD10s on the market, especially if you are ok with a 54 cm frame. 56 cm frames in Japan are very rare, and probably the best source for them is this forum in fact ;)

In fact, if you wait for a while, offers like this one will pop up. (That particular bike has already been sold, but IMHO would have been a better deal than a used CAAD8.)

Yeah, I have a bit of a thing for the older style, straight top-tube bikes and the CAAD3's just look great to me, if I could, I do love those newer CAAD12's but a little bit pricey for my taste currently.

I think I can probably deal with a 54cm, just get a longer stem/bit more seatpost and live with it for now. Thanks for the link!

Hi Gerard
I've got a 56 sized Wilier for sale with a set of spare wheels. Check it out at the link below. I'll pay postage if you can't make it to Nagano.

Oof that is lovely, I may actually be very interested in taking you up on that offer. I will be in Karuizawa for a family trip in a couple of weeks, but with baby and luggage in tow, it might be tough bringing it back on the Shinkansen.

I will drop you a message shortly. Thanks!

Yeah, I have a bit of a thing for the older style, straight top-tube bikes and the CAAD3's just look great to me, if I could, I do love those newer CAAD12's but a little bit pricey for my taste currently.
The CAAD3 is IMHO not a good choice, unless you want a retro bike that you build from the ground up. It is so old that all of its components are guaranteed to be worn out and need to be replaced. So if you want a retro bike, know how to use tools and money is no object, it may be a good choice. But if you want a dependable bike that works and doesn't break the bank, I'd look elsewhere.

Probably the CAAD8 is about as old as I would want to go. The CAAD10 is probably the goldilocks solution here. A Tiagra or 105 equipped CAAD10 wasn't expensive when it was new and it is old enough to have depreciated. But it isn't that old that you won't be able to find bikes that are in relatively good condition. Some owners just used theirs for their short commute or perhaps not much at all. The CAAD10 upwards is really a great basis and can still be used as the basis for a modern rim brake road bike. (Someone in the area built up a CAAD10 limited edition frame with DuraAce components and it's definitely a nice bike.)
I think I can probably deal with a 54cm, just get a longer stem/bit more seatpost and live with it for now. Thanks for the link!
Sizing is personal, but if you can make size 54 cm fit, that really opens up a lot of possibilities in Japan. I had to turn down two great deals (one on a BMC Teammachine SLR01 no less) because they were only size 54 and not size 56.

I have a Cannondale CAAD 5 that sat in storage in the US for something like 10 years. Brought it back with me a couple years ago and updated all the parts to 105 level. I really like the looks of it and the light blue metallic color is my favorite color for a bike. As for the ride, I can't say I'm all that discerning, but works great for me. I don't intend to sell it (I'd never get what it is worth to me.) but FWIW, I have been very happy with it.

IMG_1216.jpeg

I don't know what's up with the CAAD 3, but 4 friends own one (one guy owns 3) and still ride them (2 ride them even a lot). Two updated theirs with modern wheels and a few other parts. The other ride theirs more or less as it came out of the shop.
Especially the Saeco Team edition seems to be popular.
Anyway, as long as it's in good condition and well taken of they seem to be fine and even fast.
But if you just want to get back into cycling for now, I agree with @OreoCookie and the others.
Just get a decent "modern" bike for now. @speedwobble's Wilier (or the like) looks like a good starting point. If time allows you could look a it and go for a test ride. And if all's good take his shipping offer. Japanese delivery services are taking pretty good care of things in my experience.
You always could pick up your dream CAAD later whenever a good option comes up.

@Karl that's a nice looking bike.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind welcome and words of advice, I will probably be taking up the offer from SpeedWobble for now, and then working on building something a little more vintage in time. Just bought a house too, so sinking a lot of money into an older bike probably isn't wise and the wife wouldn't be happy! Thanks again, hopefully get out on some rides and meet some of you in the future!

Thanks all for the kind welcome and words of advice, I will probably be taking up the offer from SpeedWobble for now, and then working on building something a little more vintage in time. Just bought a house too, so sinking a lot of money into an older bike probably isn't wise and the wife wouldn't be happy! Thanks again, hopefully get out on some rides and meet some of you in the future!
That sounds like a good option. @bloaker's list is a great reference, because if you want to go for a semi-retro bike (retro frame with more modern components), you will invariable be facing questions like bottom bracket and steerer tube standards. Also, there are a few modern frames that retain traditional lines.

But if all you want is to get back into the sport, @speedwobble's offer or something like it is great. It features mid-range components and I am sure he took great care of the bike. And if you are getting more serious, perhaps you actually do want a new bike. :)

riding anything older than a CAAD9 (or a CAAD8 Optimo) is just silly

the market is flooded with nice and relatively cheap CAAD12 frames

it shouldn't be hard to find a 54 or 56 as long as you aren't too particular about the color

I say this as someone who just replaced a 10 year-old CAAD9 after ~30,000 km

it shouldn't be hard to find a 54 or 56 as long as you aren't too particular about the color
Agreed. I find the colors for their current line-up particularly bad. Even the range topper comes in a weird off-white. And the bland-green of the bread-and-butter model definitely looks worse in reality than on paper. (And I am not someone who doesn't care about the color as long as it is black.)

Back
Top Bottom