What's new

Hi all (and a question regarding peak hour train commuting)

Liub

Warming-Up
Aug 29, 2018
Hello all, I'm based out of Taipei currently but I'll be travelling to Japan semi-regularly in the foreseeable future and would love to start taking my bike across when I can.

I know variants of this question has been asked but nothing quite directly answers my concerns. Hopefully someone can chime in with some advice.

I'm planning to take my bike the next time I pop over in November, I have a Scicon bike bag that I have used to transport bikes safely on flights previously. I am concerned about what to do once I get to Haneda Airport to get to Gotanda station. I understand that I should be allowed to carry this bag on the train lines (including JR transfer at Shinagawa), but I land at 5:30pm so I would be commuting during after work peak hour. Is this going to be a concern? I was told I can just go to the first or last carriage where there are more room for larger baggage? Would I get the stink eye from follow commuters?

Thank you from Taipei and hope to see you on the roads.

For many years I traveled in rush hour trains with a foldup bike in a bag and never had trouble. I did get the occasional stink eye, which I usually responded to by smiling and bowing in apology, and nothing ever went beyond that.
You might get some dirty looks with your Scicon bag, but if you're humble and considerate, I'm pretty sure you'll be OK. The first or last carriage advice seems spot-on to me, but I didn't use any of the lines out that way, so I can't be 100% sure.

Just checked. The train ride from Haneda to Gotanda is only 30-35 minutes, so, yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just checked. The train ride from Haneda to Gotanda is only 30-35 minutes, so, yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yup that's why I like to fly into Haneda, its a close commute to the accommodation. Thanks for the heads up :).

You should be fine going from Haneda to Shinagawa after 5:30 because you'll be going in the other direction from most of the commuting traffic (Into central Tokyo instead of out of it) It might get really crowded between Shinagawa and Gotanda though (I assume on the Yamanote line?), and changing at Shinagawa could be tough. If it were me I'd consider getting off at Kita-Shinagawa and walking to Gotanda (25 minutes) or if you can find a way to get all your bags on your back you could ride it (I don't know how foldable your bike bag is)

You should be fine going from Haneda to Shinagawa after 5:30 because you'll be going in the other direction from most of the commuting traffic (Into central Tokyo instead of out of it) It might get really crowded between Shinagawa and Gotanda though (I assume on the Yamanote line?), and changing at Shinagawa could be tough. If it were me I'd consider getting off at Kita-Shinagawa and walking to Gotanda (25 minutes) or if you can find a way to get all your bags on your back you could ride it (I don't know how foldable your bike bag is)

Unfortunately the big is not foldable enough to ride with - not like the ones you guys use on the trains normally. Nowever, I still may be able to walk from Kita-Shinagawa, that could be an option, though not the easiest definitely.

Unfortunately the big is not foldable enough to ride with - not like the ones you guys use on the trains normally. Nowever, I still may be able to walk from Kita-Shinagawa, that could be an option, though not the easiest definitely.
Yeah, I'm not saying you can't get the train or anything, particularly if you don't mind being really patient and probably moving through Shinegawa station very slowly. From your first post it sounds like you may have done the journey before? (but without the bike) so you'll know it's a big station with quite a long walking distance between the two lines. It gets very very crowded at peak times. I was recently there in the morning on my way to the visa office and I remember thinking that the huge sea of salarymen trudging through the main walkway in unison is almost more of a stereotypical Tokyo experience than Shibuya scramble. By all means give it a try. I'm almost certain nobody will stop you and you'll get there eventually, but it might be difficult, slow and stressful and that 25 minute walk might start looking more attractive for next time.

Yeah, I'm not saying you can't get the train or anything, particularly if you don't mind being really patient and probably moving through Shinegawa station very slowly. From your first post it sounds like you may have done the journey before? (but without the bike) so you'll know it's a big station with quite a long walking distance between the two lines. It gets very very crowded at peak times. I was recently there in the morning on my way to the visa office and I remember thinking that the huge sea of salarymen trudging through the main walkway in unison is almost more of a stereotypical Tokyo experience than Shibuya scramble. By all means give it a try. I'm almost certain nobody will stop you and you'll get there eventually, but it might be difficult, slow and stressful and that 25 minute walk might start looking more attractive for next time.

Yup you are right, I've done the journey a few times and understand that with a large bike bag, it will be quite tedious, so definitely the walk from Kita-Shinagawa is a viable option that I didn't really think about before :).

I am not sure if a normal taxi can fit my bag? It is L 114cm x D 36cm x H 94cm.

Unless you're in a desperate need to watch your budget, get a taxi from the airport straight to Gotanda. They should be able to find you a car/van that will fit your bag and it will save you the hassle of the trains. It'll take you 60-80 mins in heavy traffic, 40 mins on a good day.

I am not sure if a normal taxi can fit my bag? It is L 114cm x D 36cm x H 94cm.

There are some taxis--not the standard sedan--where that will easily fit (they're more like a mini-van). I'm not sure if the airport or that station would be the better place to find one.

Back
Top Bottom