What's new

Half Fast HFC: Norikura - 2011 Shine On! Cycle Challenge

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
[Japanese version follows.]

It's time to start preparing for the 2011 Shine On! Cycle Challenge in Norikura.

Dates are Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th July, 2011.

For those who are new to the group, this annual event centers around a 20km ride up a big mountain, to the highest road in Japan passable on a road bike - Norikura on the border of Nagano and Gifu prefectures. More importantly, it's a charity event through which we raise a donation for The Tyler Foundation, supporting children with cancer and their families here in Japan.

We will organize a fun weekend trip, travelling by train and bus to get to the wonderful and friendly NorthStar lodge.

If you think you're allergic to climbing hills on your bike, this is a great opportunity to get fitter and make a personal challenge in order to simultaneously help the very important work of The Tyler Foundation.

There will be two cycling groups:

A: The 'advanced' group who ride about 100km from Shiojiri through the mountains [example map] to near NorthStar on Saturday, and then 70+km up and over Norikura and some other hills [map] on Sunday.

B: The 'challenge' group who ride 20km up and 20km down Norikura on the Sunday. There are some nice hikes near NorthStar for Saturday afternoon, or you can have a practice ride.

Last year's event became rather complicated and fussy, so we're going to do our best to keep it simple for 2011.

The cost will be 15,000 yen, which includes:

• Return bus travel from Matsumoto (or other spot*) to NorthStar
  • Overnight stay at NorthStar, with yummy meals
  • Accident insurance
  • Donation to The Tyler Foundation
  • Souvenir T-shirt

(* different locations for Group A riders)

Maximum number of participants and supporters is 40.

Train fare to and from Matsumoto is not included. Participants are responsible for getting their own tickets. These can be bought at discount shops for approx 9,000 yen return.

We need to know how many people want to take part in this event, so that we can book rooms at NorthStar. If we get 40 or very close, we can have the lodge to ourselves. If less, there will be other guests. That's fine, of course, but we (and they) need to know ASAP.

Please, let me know by the end of this week - Friday 10 June - if you want to go.

We can discuss the event at the Pink Cow on Wednesday evening. If you have questions that can't wait until then, or you can't come to the Cow, please ask me by e-mail.

--Mike--

今年も「2011 シャイン・オン!サイクル・チャレンジ・イン・乗鞍」の季節がやってきました。

日程は2011年7月23日(土)〜24日(日)です。

メンバーになって間もない方々のためにご説明すると、この恒例行事の目玉は、ロードバイクが走行可能な道路の日本最高地点を目指す20キロのヒルクライムです。長野県と岐阜県の県境に位置する乗鞍岳がその舞台となります。さらに重要なことに、本イベントは慈善活動として行うもので、日本で小児がんの子どもたちとそのご家族を支援する、タイラー基金のための募金活動も兼ねています。

これに向けて、私たちは愉快な週末旅行を企画します。ちなみに、居心地の良いアットホームなロッジ「ノーススター」までは電車とバスの旅になります。

ヒルクライム・アレルギーを自覚する方々にとっては、健康な体をつくり、自分なりの手応えを感じ、それでいてタイラー基金の重要な任務の助けにもなる、という素晴らしい機会でもあります。

サイクリングは2つのグループに分かれます。

グループA:「アドバンス」グループ。土曜日のライドは塩尻から約100キロ、ノーススター付近の山々を越えていきます。そして日曜日のライドは70キロ以上、乗鞍岳を含むいくつかの山々を乗ります。

グループB:「チャレンジ」グループ。日曜日のライドは、乗鞍岳までの登り20キロと乗鞍岳からの下り20キロです。土曜日の午後には、ノーススター付近でハイキングが楽しめますし、あるいはライドの練習もできます。

昨年のイベントは若干複雑で神経質なアレンジでしたが、今年はできるだけシンプルにいきたいと考えています。

費用は15,000円の予定で、下記の経費を含みます。

・松本駅(グループAは別の場所)〜ノーススター間の往復のバス代

・ノーススター宿泊代(おいしい食事付き)

・保険

・タイラー基金への寄付

・記念Tシャツ

新宿〜松本(グループAは塩尻)間の往復の電車代は上記費用に含まれません。切符は各自で購入して頂きます。ディスカウントショップ等で往復約9,000円で購入できます。

定員は、応援の方々も含めて最大40名です。

ついては、ノーススターへの予約のため、参加希望者の人数を把握させてください。参加者が40名またはそれに近い人数に達すれば、ノーススターを貸切りにできます。40名に満たない場合は他の宿泊客と一緒になります。その点はもちろん問題ないですが、私たちもノーススターも、取り急ぎ人数を把握したいと思っています。

参加を希望される場合は、6月10日(金)中にマイクまでご連絡ください。

本イベントについては、水曜日にピンク・カウでも話せますが、それまで待てない場合またはピンク・カウに来られないという場合は、マイクまで、メールでご質問をお寄せください。

--マイク--

Mike - I'll do this - please put me down for whatever! 100km is fine.

Mike,
Thanks for posting this - put me down please, 100km. This will be my third time and if the last two times are anything to go by it'll be an absolute blast. This is an annual fixture on my calender now. And all in aid of a good cause as well ! Brilliant.

Cheers
Steve

highest road in Japan passable on a road bike

Mike, just curious: is there actually any other pass in Japan higher than this? I mean other than a pure hiking pass? If so, I would love to explore it with my cyclocross! I thought I had reached the sky with Norikura. :)

Norikura is definitely a fascinating place, and your tour must be highly recommendable to anyone who wants to take it relatively easy but still make it up to 2,700m.

Not sure I will do it this year. Mike (the fast one, though he was suffering at the time) and I did Norikura twice last year, from both sides, and there are still so many other interesting passes to be explored in Japan.

We've got 20 takers so far. Any more for any more?

---

Some Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Should I have my bike checked before I go?

A. Yes yes yes! We strongly recommend that you have your bike checked and any necessary maintenance carried out by a competent mechanic before you depart for Norikura. Because of the long downhill sections, please pay special attention to your brake pads.

Q. What if I have to cancel once I've paid?

A. If you cancel your participation after payment, Shine On! Cycle Challenge will deduct the charitable donation (20%) plus an administration fee from any monies to be refunded.

Depending on the timing we may need to keep a percentage of the total payment to cover cancelation costs of the accommodation at NorthStar:

30 days before - 20% of the total bill
7 days before - 50% of the total bill
72 hours before - 80% of the total bill
24 hours before - 100% of the total bill

Q. What's the insurance for?

A. We will take out a group activity policy for the event, just in case something bad happens. If you already have personal accident insurance that's great, but we need to take out this policy for all participants so unfortunately we cannot reduce your entry fee. The cover levels are:

Death/After Effect 8,500,000 yen
Hospital benefits insurance 6,000 yen/day
Operation Between 10 times and 40 times the per diem health insurance payment, depending on the type of surgery
Outpatient 4,000 yen/day
Indemnity liability 10,000,000 yen
Personal Effects Protection 100,000 yen
Rescuer fee 300,000 yen

Deadline...

I really want to do this but I have to check with my work schedule to see if it is possible. When is the absolute deadline for payment? Sorry to ask!

I really want to do this but I have to check with my work schedule to see if it is possible. When is the absolute deadline for payment? Sorry to ask!
Payment can be anytime. But we have promised to give numbers to the Lodge tomorrow. (They have other customers wanting to book... whether they can will depend on our group's size.)

Mike, just curious: is there actually any other pass in Japan higher than this? I mean other than a pure hiking pass? If so, I would love to explore it with my cyclocross! I thought I had reached the sky with Norikura. :)

Norikura is definitely a fascinating place, and your tour must be highly recommendable to anyone who wants to take it relatively easy but still make it up to 2,700m.

Not sure I will do it this year. Mike (the fast one, though he was suffering at the time) and I did Norikura twice last year, from both sides, and there are still so many other interesting passes to be explored in Japan.

Yeah straight up the access road to the top of Mt. Fuji and down the other side.

Yeah straight up the access road to the top of Mt. Fuji and down the other side.

Wow, here is a challenge! Have you done it?

Based on his other post today, I think FarEast has a case of (wooden) cabin fever. Don't take him too seriously.

Meanwhile, I am really happy to say that we've filled the 40 places I originally said we have on the Norikura trip. Thank you everyone! There may a couple of drop-outs, and we can squeeze a few more in if we really try, so if you haven't responded yet and really really want to go then drop me a line and I'll do my best to sort something out.

Mike.... I've sent the details out to myriding network and it will also go to KoKoLoo so hopefully we can fully book out another lodge as well and maybe aim for 100 riders? Who knows?

If you could ask Daniel to see if he can recommend or arrange accomadation at another lodge nearby that would be amazing.

Also regarding the bus from Matsumoto. Is this also limited?

James

Mike.... I've sent the details out to myriding network and it will also go to KoKoLoo so hopefully we can fully book out another lodge as well and maybe aim for 100 riders? Who knows?

I really appreciate your enthusiasm, although I'm slightly nervous about trying to shepherd so many cyclists on a serious hill climb! The biggest group I've ever managed was 53 and that was just from Roppongi to a barbecue in Koto-ku. We'd need to divide up responsibilities and get some proper organization going. And there's not much time now.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Please make clear to everyone that this is not a race! It's about dedicating a personal physical challenge in support of children with cancer and their families (more on that story later!), plus having fun as a group.

If you could ask Daniel to see if he can recommend or arrange accomadation at another lodge nearby that would be amazing.
Yes - that's in the works.

Also regarding the bus from Matsumoto. Is this also limited?
It really is limited. They've got one bus (seen briefly here) and an Arkansas Chugabug van; fine for backpackers, but once you start piling bikes in there it fills up really quickly. We can explore options - maybe a staggered arrival. But we definitely don't want to have folks cycling up or down the mountain to/from Matsumoto; the tunnels are narrow, badly lit, and badly surfaced. Punctures are common. (Don't mind what people do on their own time, but not on this event... an accident would generate the wrong sort of publicity.)

Meanwhile if High5 or any of your sponsor friends want to get involved, I'm definitely listening!

Mike,

People are aware that this is a charity social event. :D Also I will be hearding the other group up the mountain and more than willing to help spread the load.

Will need to look in to other ways of getting poeple here.... I was tempted to ride up on the Friday :D

In regards to sponsorship its a little too late to get things organised. But it is certainly something we can work on together for future events.

Will need to look in to other ways of getting poeple here.... I was tempted to ride up on the Friday
I really, really wouldn't recommend this. Eleven tunnels, all uphill. One with a junction inside the tunnel. All narrow, badly lit, wet, fast cars, and surfaces in bad condition.

In 2009 we had a couple of guys ride up, on their own volition. They arrived very pale and the PTSD probably messed up their weekend. (I think Wolfman was one of them.)

Fully 50% of the people I know who've ridden down the tunnels, myself included, got at least one phlat.

That's why we said 'never again'. Too risky.

There's a local train from Matsumoto to Shin-shima-shima, which is barely quicker than cycling. And from there a 'city' bus comes up the mountain. Probably packed with backpackers on a Saturday morning in July, though. We will ask NorthStar about other options.

(Fast) Mike and I have done it... Actually, my memory of the tunnels from driving through them many years ago and all the horror stories on this site were far worse than the actual experience. Of course part of this is because we went uphill in the very early morning, before most cars, buses and trucks pass through. Back down was in the afternoon with plenty of traffic, but it wasn't that terrible. I myself would do it again...

Nonetheless, it is only for the hard sodden. Unless you have almost no fears in tunnels and on busy roads with buses (coaches), not really recommended. Even less so if you make HF Mike even more worried.

Back
Top Bottom