What's new

Half Fast HFC: Norikura - 2011 Shine On! Cycle Challenge

Mike,

So for the youtube video of the ride in Odaiba you used the GoPro HD or Sony camera? I'm just a beginner when it comes to cycling so I'm not sure I'd feel confident using only 1 had to ride while using the other to hold a camera haha!

Bob

So for the youtube video of the ride in Odaiba you used the GoPro HD or Sony camera?
This video? I used the Sony. Did the whole thing in two shots IIRC.
Charcoalbuddy;32557[... said:
I'm not sure I'd feel confident using only 1 hand to ride while using the other to hold a camera
Then don't! I can ride for long distances with one or no hands, and I seem to have developed the knack of pointing the camera where I want it without having to look at it all the time. I don't like helmet cameras precisely because they only move around with your head - on a group ride that usually means monotonous footage of the Assos of the guy in front.

Yes that's the video. Thanks for the advice and information. I'm debating to get the GoPro HD Hero or the Contour+ Plus Camera....

Bob

$499 is the cheapest I've seen the Contour + for as I also am looking to kit myself out with one. The Contour GPS is available for $299 with shipping and I'm very tempted to get it with the bluetooth dongle so I can use the iPhone app.

As for the angle I do beleive it is refering to the type of fisheye lens that it uses to achieve the 170º

Mike, great photos! Looks like you all had a lot of fun.

I can sort of guess from the photos (even though they are pretty mixed up!) the route you took on the first day from Shiojiri to NorthStar Lodge. What did you do on the second day after getting down from Norikura?

I can sort of guess from the photos (even though they are pretty mixed up!) the route you took on the first day from Shiojiri to NorthStar Lodge. What did you do on the second day after getting down from Norikura?
Yes the photos are mixed up - we had three rides happening simultaneously on Day 1. The photos are from contributors on all three rides and are presented (for the moment) in chronological order.

Here are the planned routes:

Day 1 Advanced Route (from James' GPS data there were some intricate deviations from this, thanks to Chuck's local knowledge)

Day 1 Intermediate Route

Day 1 Challenge Route

On the second day we had planned to have a big group go over and round in a loop like this:

Day 2 Advanced Route plan

But in the event all but one decided to just ride up and down...

Day 2 Challenge Route

...and then we hung out at NorthStar, drank beer, dipped in the onsen, etc., until it was time to go home. Eight or so of the braver (read "more impatient") souls elected to ride down to Matsumoto through the tunnels. Left more room in the buses for the rest of us.

Nice, you really thought of everybody's level. Maybe I should have joined, at least for the social part. (I believe I had the better views a week earlier - though that was just a matter of luck.)

How was the Super Rindo a few days after the big typhoon? Many rindos in the Kanto area became basically unpassable (well, not to me...).

I see the Advanced group went over Gonbee Toge. I have yet to try this. How was it? BTW, the tunnel is long, but pleasant - little traffic and a very wide lane on both sides.

I also noticed the Intermediate group did a big detour to avoid the tunnel just after Narai. I had a somewhat unpleasant memory from my first ride through it last year, but just the other day I found it quite OK. Taking the Nakasendo all the way from Shiojiri is actually worse - lots of truck traffic. I'm sure the group noticed...

Finally, taking the tunnels back towards Matsumoto is not that bad if you can run close to the speed of the traffic. It's actually quite a blast.

How was the Super Rindo a few days after the big typhoon?
No problems at all. Just a few piles of rock at the side of the road in places.
I see the Advanced group went over Gonbee Toge. I have yet to try this. How was it?
Apparently they went through the tunnel due to lack of time. But Chuck (ProRaceMechanic) knows the pass well - it's on his doorstep. I plan to do the route from Chino myself before the summer's out.

The master plan was for the Advanced and Intermediate groups to meet up along the way and then ride together, picking up the Challenge group and riding triumphantly to NorthStar together. It almost worked, except that the Challenge group finished long before the rest of us!
I also noticed the Intermediate group did a big detour to avoid the tunnel just after Narai. I had a somewhat unpleasant memory from my first ride through it last year, but just the other day I found it quite OK.
Either tunnel is fine, but it's a nice little ride alongside the reservoir, and the tunnel shown is downhill all the way in that direction, freewheeling at 35-40 km/h. Unanimously described as "a blast".
Taking the Nakasendo all the way from Shiojiri is actually worse - lots of truck traffic. I'm sure the group noticed...
Mais non. The route is nice because we spend as little time on Nakasendo as possible, dodging onto back roads, old roads, cyclepaths as they present themselves. Not as fast as taking the main road, but we have all day to get to NorthStar.
Finally, taking the tunnels back towards Matsumoto is not that bad if you can run close to the speed of the traffic. It's actually quite a blast.
Yes it not that bad... until you get a puncture in the middle of a 2 km tunnel with nowhere to hide - then it is scary. The road surfaces in the tunnels are old, lumpy, dirty concrete which can easily cause flats on thin tires at high speed. That's why we don't encourage it. If experienced riders who know what they're doing and what they're getting into want to brave the tunnels then no-one's going to physically restrain them from doing so.

Wicked video. I was a little worried about the seemingly slow start, but it picked up and was interesting to watch. Surprised by the amount of snow and lack of cars. Looked like so much fun. Thanks for posting.

Wicked video. I was a little worried about the seemingly slow start, but it picked up and was interesting to watch. Surprised by the amount of snow and lack of cars. Looked like so much fun. Thanks for posting.
Glad you enjoyed. Lack of cars: the road is only open to local taxis and tour buses. Cycling paradise! That's just one reason why we go there.

Ludwig - next year I will join this on a geared bike and will full intention to ride as hard as possible. Our group ride was literally nothing short of a series of attacks on the hills and precariously fast descents at the limits. Who saw any scenery? I did, however, pick some of the 'scenery' off my rim while I was frenetically changing a blowout that happened at speed (as much could be on fixed gear) , then resume a 43-52kph 7km TT to the ENEOS 'meet up point' riding half flat with nothing but a wad of bubblegum holding my tire to the rim.

Nice, you really thought of everybody's level. Maybe I should have joined, at least for the social part.

I guess I must join just for the pleasure of finally seeing Tim on a geared bike! Counting the days...

You will soon. I just need to win a few of these hill climb events to make my goal. Very close now.

I guess I must join just for the pleasure of finally seeing Tim on a geared bike! Counting the days...

Norikura Final Report

Dear Norikura Heroes and Heroines

Thank you once again for all your support. I'm delighted to announce the following statistics:

Together we rode 4,555 km

Together we climbed 112,307 m

Together we raised JPY 217,021 for the Tyler Foundation!
The short movie of our adventure is now online - please share it with your friends and family and raise awareness for future events. And the photo album too. Thanks again to all who contributed their photographs and video footage.

We have a few T-shirts left over in S, M and L sizes. If you didn't get one, but still want one, please let me know. If you want another, we'll let you have one for a 1,000 yen donation.

The Beads of Courage are hard at work inspiring and encouraging the children. And among other projects our donation will be used for the Shine On! Tohoku Bicycle Project, bringing new bikes to families who desperately need them after the tragic events of 11th March.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions to improve future events, please let me know.

Keep the rubber side down... and Shine On!

--Mike--

Mike Sims-Williams
Deputy Benevolent Dictator
http://halffastcycling.com
Mobile o8o-34o3-o239

Back
Top Bottom