What's new

Hey folks, Nellie Bell arrived today

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
I want to first thank everyone on TCC for all the advice and excellent information that you all shared with me. Today my Nellie Bell arrived. All set-up and ready to ride. And it was home delivered . (shop owner had to install a different rear carrier) I really wanted the easy release type, but the seat had to go higher, I couldn't reach the ground. It's a b... being short. LOL
Here are some pictures of "Nellie Bell" Giant R3 2019 I guess the color is "Mango". Its sparkled type of paint.
Today I took it for a test ride and I'm very pleased with it. Absolutely no complaints. I do have to get a rear flasher though. The ones sold at Daiso, the clamp is too small for the seat frame. I bought every thing at Ishii bike shop in Ube, Yamaguchi. The owner was friendly, helpful and he and the wife joked about me now wanting to tour Japan. She said, "I don't know where he is going to get the money to do it", he likes to dream a lot. :(
So now "Adventurous Biker" is really going to be a cyclist that has adventure in Japan waiting for him. Yippy !1 bike in shop.JPG2 bike in shop.JPG3 bike in front of deer.JPG4 rear carrier.JPG5 kick stand.JPG6 head light.JPG7 bell and reflector.JPG8 mini air pump.JPG9 deluxe air pump.JPG10  train travel bag.JPG

2 more pictures

11 lock and key.JPG12 the package deal.JPG12 the package deal.JPG

Awesome, mate! You're going to have a lot of fun on that.

Thanks Stu
Tomorrow is bringing heavy rains so that will give me time to read up on the manual now. What do you think of the color? I actually like it. LOL

Good tire choice :tup
The bike shop owner said to upgrade the tires due to I want to carry some camping gear. Cost 4000 yen more for 2. They are suppose to be less prone to punctures.

Congratulations! It's been a breathtaking adventure coming this far with you already.

Notes on your pictures:

You've a track pump and a mini pump. Awesome! Do you also have one or two spare tubes and/or a patch kit? If not, I suggest you get those when you can.

Then learn how to use them. Practice using the pumps. (A friend snapped the valve on a tube yesterday (pssssssss), which could have been avoided by practicing in the comfort of their own home before needing to do a repair in the field.) It's very reassuring once you know that you can repair a flat and be back in the road in a few minutes.

Same goes for your bike bag: practice at home before you need to use it!

I know some kids who rode all the way around Honshū on mamachari. If you have a tent, and some determination, touring doesn't have to be expensive.

P.S. Somebody has dumped a plastic shopping bag in your yard. Litterbugs!

Nice setup! Start off slowly and not too far away until you have mastered the on road repair regime (punctures). This will also allow your knees, back and butt to slowly adjust to a new activity as well. Don't forget to take lots of pics on your rides and those photo stops are also a good way of stretching your self out. I don't see a helmet there? .......

ride safe and when in doubt stop. 10 seconds later is never that much of a big deal.

Congrats AC! Post some pics of your first ride when you can. Loved following your questions, many of which I had as well. Enjoy that, beautiful color.

Nice setup! Start off slowly and not too far away until you have mastered the on road repair regime (punctures). This will also allow your knees, back and butt to slowly adjust to a new activity as well. Don't forget to take lots of pics on your rides and those photo stops are also a good way of stretching your self out. I don't see a helmet there? .......

ride safe and when in doubt stop. 10 seconds later is never that much of a big deal.

Thanks kiwisimon.
I'll be practising about road repair tomorrow since it may rain. I bought a puncture kit. Bought it in Kokura, Kyushu last Sunday. Metal hooks and patches and adhesive and something else in the package.
I ran out of money at the shop so the helmet is next and the rear flashing light. And then some more local test rides to work myself in. Clothes for now will be just what I usually wear during the summer. Yes, I'm excited.
Hope you guys don't mind a ton of pictures. LOL Like you say, time for breaks. Not sure if you can see the mirror but I got one also. A bit on the expensive side, but...
Now, maybe in the future I get one of your TCC jerseys or whatever they are called and advertise you folks down in these neck of the woods.
Again, thank you.

Congrats AC! Post some pics of your first ride when you can. Loved following your questions, many of which I had as well. Enjoy that, beautiful color.

Hi Matt
Thank you. Yes, I intend to post pictures. I don't know anything about the "blog" on this forum. Should I start something like that? My questions I asked were really trying to get a foundation to ride safely on. Wife will be checking out insurance tomorrow. Shop owner said to use her car insurance policy and add bike insurance on it.
The color really looks cool in person. Its kind of a mix of mango and maybe orange, but it is nice to look at.
Again thank you.

George

Congratulations! It's been a breathtaking adventure coming this far with you already.

Notes on your pictures:

You've a track pump and a mini pump. Awesome! Do you also have one or two spare tubes and/or a patch kit? If not, I suggest you get those when you can.

Then learn how to use them. Practice using the pumps. (A friend snapped the valve on a tube yesterday (pssssssss), which could have been avoided by practicing in the comfort of their own home before needing to do a repair in the field.) It's very reassuring once you know that you can repair a flat and be back in the road in a few minutes.

Same goes for your bike bag: practice at home before you need to use it!

I know some kids who rode all the way around Honshū on mamachari. If you have a tent, and some determination, touring doesn't have to be expensive.

P.S. Somebody has dumped a plastic shopping bag in your yard. Litterbugs!

Hi Mike
Thanks for all the great advice you've passed along. I got the "Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair" 3rd addition which I started reading. Good book. Need to practice on using the pump. The track pump was given free to me, brand new. The mini pump is not the high pressure one, just takes more pumps, but its OK with me.
The light I got at the shop which was recommended brand. Not cheap. Regarding the tubes, on my list with the helmet. Did pick up repair kit though.
Yes, I'm excited. The plastic bag has the training manual in it. "Dang where did I put it"? ;)

Hi Matt
Thank you. Yes, I intend to post pictures. I don't know anything about the "blog" on this forum. Should I start something like that? My questions I asked were really trying to get a foundation to ride safely on. Wife will be checking out insurance tomorrow. Shop owner said to use her car insurance policy and add bike insurance on it.
The color really looks cool in person. Its kind of a mix of mango and maybe orange, but it is nice to look at.
Again thank you.

George

Here's a good helmet you might consider: https://road.cc/content/review/10551-giro-transfer-helmet

This is what I started my road cycling career with years ago and was using up until about a month ago. Super cheap as helmets come...

Here's my walk of shame when I got my first puncture and couldn't fix it. 10 km trek to Ogose station for my trouble😭

Stu, you got pictures of it. Not a member of that site. Don't know anything about it .

Thanks Matt
Nice looking helmet. I guess a quality helmet will set me back about 50 bucks? ¥5000

No problem, this is a quality helmet! Its just a fraction of the cost (1/4th to 1/8th) of what most of the helmets at cycling hops sell for. I bought a Met Manta for 11,000 Yen, discounted from 14,000 Yen. There were helmets in Y's Road shops, a cycling chain in Tokyo, upwards of 20,000 Yen. So a 2,500-3,000 Yen helmet from Giro, a famous worldwide brand and reputable, with good reviews, is what I would recommend if that's your next purchase and you're looking to get a good deal without spending 5,000-20,000+. They do go up from there, for example when including an integrated glass visor. (Edit: they do go up from 20,000+ yen is what I meant).

Last edited:
Make sure you pronounce the "g" very clearly and not in a way that resembles a "k" sound.

OK, thanks.
Guess I know where my nenkin money will go.

Back
Top Bottom