What's new

Here we go again...

Ash

Warming-Up
Apr 23, 2006
Ah!

Full marks for the decision to ban Boonen from the tour, I think he should be banned completely for at least 2 years though! The point that he only took the drug 'recreationally' is irrelevant. It begs the question though, if this guy, one of cycling's 'greats' snorts coke whenever he has a day off, what's his views on other more 'lucrative' drug taking.

You gotta love these guys. Imagine if somebody posted a pic of Boonen snorting up? Thats a nice role model for young cyclists everywhere :confused:

And before I go, cycling fans, another beauty from former drug cheat and TDF winner Bjarne Riis, on the subject of Team CSC being renamed Saxobank:

'With Saxo Bank, we have found the perfect partner for the future," said Riis in a statement. "We are extremely proud to become associated with such a strong brand and a company that has a great passion for our team and our values."

Now, I would be very interested to know what 'values' Bjarne has that he is so keen to share... If Saxobank indeed share Bjarne's 'values' then we are indeed in for a very pharmaceutical July....

ride safe in the rainy season ya'll!

No More Heroes!

Ah!

It begs the question though, if this guy, one of cycling's 'greats' snorts coke whenever he has a day off, what's his views on other more 'lucrative' drug taking.

Absolutely, Ash you're right. I am deeply saddened at the want of self-control of my compatriot and (former) hero. An analysis of his hair should show whether it was a one-time snorting (= "recreational," which is of course also inexcusable) or habitual, heavy usage of cocaine (= downright doping). 3 centimeters of his hair (hair grows approx. 1 centimeter a month) should give a more or less accurate intensity reading and show if he used the drug during April, the Month of the Classics...

At the recent press conference, Boonen virtually admitted his wrongdoing by stating (my own translation of the original Dutch version):

"I wish to apologize for the pain I have caused to my family, team and supporters but I am not perfect myself. I will accept the consequences".

I'm afraid Boonen may have to make a cross over his career....so very, very sad!

At least he didn't say... 'somebody must have spiked my drink....'.

McEwen will now be the new Belgian sprint hero....

Bit of a shame. Personally speaking, I don't think athletes should be tested for recreational drugs that aren't performance enhancing, and I don't care what they do on their own time for fun.

But the fact that the test IS carried out means that Boonen made an error in judgment, considering that he's been outspoken against performance-enhancing doping in the past. While I think there should be a clear distinction between recreational drugs and performance doping, that isn't always the case...

This looks like a Belgium administered test--are there UCI-defined sanctions for recreational drugs (suspensions etc)?

Bit of a shame. Personally speaking, I don't think athletes should be tested for recreational drugs that aren't performance enhancing, and I don't care what they do on their own time for fun.

But the fact that the test IS carried out means that Boonen made an error in judgment, considering that he's been outspoken against performance-enhancing doping in the past. While I think there should be a clear distinction between recreational drugs and performance doping, that isn't always the case...

This looks like a Belgium administered test--are there UCI-defined sanctions for recreational drugs (suspensions etc)?

The sad fact though is that cocaine is BOTH a recreational AND a performance-enhancing (reduces pain and allows cyclists and other sportmen and women to go into the red zone for a short while....sprints....) drug!

The sad fact though is that cocaine is BOTH a recreational AND a performance-enhancing (reduces pain and allows cyclists and other sportmen and women to go into the red zone for a short while....sprints....) drug!

Wow, I've never heard that before, but if he is in fact snorting coke to put his sprints into, er, a higher gear ;), then yeah I agree 100% with you guys, he should be suspended for a long time...

Visuals only at the moment .....

is that a new pump or are you just pleased to see me ?

Charles aka chazzer

If they are maybe I should be banned from the westside....:eek:

On the coke matter, TOM is right. Coke (and heroin) were regularly used as performance enhancers right up to the 70's in the TDF (no bans in those days). Remember that famous English rider who karked it on the Ventoux (tom somethingorother, forgotten the name) there is a statue of him all the riders pass anyway - he had a heart attack from an overdose of coke AND heroin in his system.

cheers

Ash

On the coke matter, TOM is right. Coke (and heroin) were regularly used as performance enhancers right up to the 70's in the TDF (no bans in those days). Remember that famous English rider who karked it on the Ventoux (tom somethingorother, forgotten the name) there is a statue of him all the riders pass anyway - he had a heart attack from an overdose of coke AND heroin in his system.

I need one of those "へぇ~?!" buttons from that show. Live and learn, huh?

Witch Hunt!

1. Boonen has used illegal recreational drugs - as has Barack Obama and David Cameron.
  2. The few studies that exist suggest that little to no performance gains are incurred from cocaine and its amphetamine-like properties. Boonen's performances are the result of hard work and natural ability.
  3. The governing bodies of cycling are taking a zero tolerance approach to the use of performance enhancing drugs following decades of inaction that has damaged the public reputation of cycling and impacted it's revenue streams.
  4. Boonen is a poster child for the sport of cycling. Boonen has added value to cycling.

Boonen is guilty of bringing the sport into disrepute. His crime is to have displayed extremely poor judgement. That does not entitle people to condemn him as a cheat! "Here we go again" is a knee jerk reaction. Here we don't go again - Boonen did not take performance enhancing drugs. He should not be hung with the cheats by the witch hunters.

In my opinion,

Philip

Remember that famous English rider who karked it on the Ventoux (tom somethingorother, forgotten the name) there is a statue of him all the riders pass anyway - he had a heart attack from an overdose of coke AND heroin in his system.

Tom Simpson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Simpson

Remember reading somewhere that Simpson's outlook was that "If 10 meta amphetamines will kill you, I'll have nine" or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom