What's new

HELP: Route 76 ride-able from Matsuda to Doshi Road

Stormy

Speeding Up
Aug 2, 2012
Hi friends,

I was wondering whether this route is feasible (I mean in general - right now, I guess there will be snow). I am particularly interested in the section around km 30, which ridewithgps only lets me plan by using the walking option.

Pls let me know,
Norm

Hi Norm,

The last time I was on the stretch of road around kilometer 30, way back in 2008, there was a long (2km?) unpaved portion leading to the summit from the north side. It was so rocky as to be unrideable. It wreaked havoc on our cleats, but we eventually made it up and over. It's described in this thread. But perhaps the conditions have changed since then. Anyone know?

EDIT: Just to clarify, the road up to the pass from the south side was paved, if I recall correctly. The unpaved portion started at the top and continued north for a couple kilometers. But again, that may have changed.

Deej

Ah, the memories!

12133053886_86b42524d0_o.jpg

Last edited:
That's the Inugoe-ji road. It will never be paved over, I suspect. It's nicer riding up the rocky section i.e. from Doshimichi up to the tunnel. Trying to ride down would be horrible.

Some brave souls have done it on 23 mm tyres. I wouldn't. It's one of the places I want to go back to with my new CX bike.

4nl2.jpg

3owf.jpg

You Shall Not Pass

l42l.jpg

End of the asphalt

4sc6.jpg

firetrackin'

dpe8.jpg

Worth the rumble, for the view

Looks perfectly rideable to me. Thanks for the details, will certainly do this this year.

I road this last year on 23 clinchers. It was fun in places where you could ride over smaller stones, gravel but in places the rocks were larger and staying on the bike through rocky struts was a challenge. I learned a lot that day though. Walked quite a bit but road where we could. I definitely don't advise descending fast on this road as there are some major drop offs with zero protection also. The tunnel at the top is hilariously dark and was "fun" without lights. Could have been anything on road and we'd have missed it by inches and never knew. I reckon there is a zombie in the tunnel also. The descent is fun down the other side if a little dirty (but that could have been the typhoon from the previous day also). Would love to do it again on bigger tires. My shoes and cleats were messed up that day and it was also the day that my carbon LOOK pedals gave up and cracked.

Back
Top Bottom