What's new

Help me spend my money: I need a new mountain bike

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
part it out so you you are guilt free and have free space?

I reckon I could, although I‘d probably feel bad because like I said so many wear items need replacing. I know for a fact you could build a nice bike and some of the parts are in good nick. The FD trigger works flawlessly, the crank is in good working order, etc.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
The field trip series on Pinkbike does a good job of finding bikes you may not even be aware of and giving reviews.
I have been happy with pinkbike in the respect they do not restrain from bashing a bike. if they don't like it, they will let you know why.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
part it out so you you are guilt free and have free space?
I was thinking about that, too.
The field trip series on Pinkbike does a good job of finding bikes you may not even be aware of and giving reviews.
I have been happy with pinkbike in the respect they do not restrain from bashing a bike. if they don't like it, they will let you know why.

Thanks, that's nice. They tested the BMC I was eyeing, and they really like it.

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
If you want to race, a Specialized Chisel Comp, if you can find one. Last time I checked L-sized frames were sold out.... I think I might have got the last L-sized Chisel in Japan at the time, lol.

If you care more about trail enjoyment, maybe a Fuse instead. It's a hardtail trail bike with a dropper post.

Looking for a budget mountain bike myself I was thinking of an L sized Chisel. They are indeed sold out. There is one on here that I was keeping an eye on.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u417231781

But then as I was watching this MTB, a nice gravel frame in XL size popped up so I just pulled the trigger on that...

Andy

baribari

Maximum Pace
May 28, 2010

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
That's more than I paid for mine new.... Haha.

Yeah, I know, it is just under what the recommended retail price is.

I found one cheap in Hard Off yesterday. M size though.

20210429_131711.jpg

My bike arrived today. That's the beauty of Yahoo Auction! Pull the trigger after a couple of beers and it's with you the next day!

20210429_165636.jpg

Took the old bike out for one last spin today.

20210430_182218.jpg
Will get the new bike built up tomorrow ready for a Sunday group ride on some of the gravel lined up for May's Rapha Prestige event.

Ride on!

Andy

speedwobble

Scorpions - I can't get enough!
Jun 26, 2017
That frame is gorgeous!

We have two Specialized mtbs, which like all my bikes were bought second hand. I would advice people to watch out for Specialized specing low-grade parts, sometimes stuff you would not notice. My 2014 Stumpjumper came with Formula C1 brakes which lots of people had issues with leaking from the cylinder to hose connection, sometimes on bikes as delivered. It also has very creaky BB which my local mechanic (ex Spesh) said was a notorious problem fixable only by replacement. This is on a bike that was originally 380,000 yen retail. My daughter's Spesh hardtail Pitch Comp would have been about 90,000 retail, but came with the cheapest Shimano shifters, Alivio or whatever it is. All that money and you don't even get a shifter with a replacable cable. For the same money, I'd expect much better parts on a GT than a Specialized.

I have an aluminum Canyon Ultimate and it has the full Force 22 gruppo, no scrimping on the crank or BB or any other parts which which may not seem important until they break. The Wilier road bike I had was similarly full Tiagra.

If buying new on a budget, one thing to note is that Deore now has four-piston brakes (numbered either MT-520 or M6120) that have been drawing rave reviews, basically as good as anything Shimano makes. Do not be put off new bikes fitted with Deore because there has been massive trickle down, just like 105 etc. on the road side. Converting an old 2x bike to 1x with Deore and slackening the geo with an angled headset is also a cost-effective way to get yourself a modern bike for little outlay. It is now easy to go 1x with a 50t cog on an old HG hub without a special aftermarket cassette or hanger extender. With the shift from QR to 142 to Boost and the wheel size battles all happening, there is a lot of stuff out there people think they must replace.

Bloaker is bang on with the cost and availability of SRAM parts in Japan. You can get them on Ebay, but you'll have to wait, pay for postage, and its a lottery whether Mr. Postie will want you to pay tax on them.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Going 1x would have been an option if I had a modern frame that supported modern wheel sizes and standards. As a matter of fact, last month my brother and I converted his old bike (roughly the same vintage as mine, perhaps 1 year older) to 1x. It was dead easy. It isn't ideal because he has a 9-speed drive train, but he doesn't have much cash on hand and he basically needed three new chain rings, a new chain and a new cassette anyway. And one chain ring was cheaper than three. Just finding the right chain rings was a chore anyway.

speedwobble

Scorpions - I can't get enough!
Jun 26, 2017
I had a look at converting an old 26er to 1x but it was just too expensive for a bike that is ridable as is. It was "if I'm changing A, then I should really change B" and just kept repeating. With 1x11 Deore, it could be done for 20,000 yen, but that is more than the bike is worth. Selling it as is for 15,000 and putting that toward a more recent second-hand bike would make more sense.

Top Bottom