What's new

Help Help me decide!

Almightyshoe

Cruising
Sep 6, 2012
Ok, so I'm looking to buy a road bike, Fixed gear takes its toll on these Japanese roads. I have found these few bikes that I'm interested in, preferably under ¥200,000

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bike-king/12bia005/ - Bianchi Impulso
This is a bargain.. I do like Bianchi's and its fitted with ultegra! Don't know much about the bike itself though, it has good reviews.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/atomic-cycle/4-masi0015/ - Masi Gran Corsa
Don't know anythng about this bike, but it sure is a looker! Ultegra and 105 fitted.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/giro/trek_madone_3_1/ - Trek Madone 3.1
My friend back in England bought this Trek not so long ago, He loves it. It's always at the top of the reviews. Not sure whether to go for carbon though.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/o-trick/11bia013/ - Bianchi Cavaria Cross Concept
As an extra, I know it's a cross bike, but damn its nice! 105 throughout.. I can always put skinnys on it for the road.. and I have the added extra of a cross bike for those foresty routes.

What do you guys think? Am I completley off the beaten track? The main thing is the highest spec for the lowest money.

Thanks

James

Yeah, These bikes all have a nice fit, I've already ridden most of them.. (I used to work for Evans cycles).

As for cannondales, my dream bike is a Supersix EVO.. but the caad10 is definatley something I would go for! need to find a way of buying one though, I can only pay with cash over here, no credit cards etc.

I agree spec isn't the most important aspect, 105 is not a problem for me, i just love the look of ultegra!

I'll admit I'm completely biased, but what about a Cannondale CAAD10? It's a top quality bike in your price range. See here: http://www.cannondale.com/jpn/2013/bikes/road/elite-road/caad10/caad10-5-105-compact-crankset

And, IMHO the main thing should be the fit, followed by the quality of the frame. The level of components should definitely take a backseat to those two considerations.

Just learned that the company that runs Cannondale also make Baby-Cars and Seats :p.

Yeah, These bikes all have a nice fit, I've already ridden most of them.. (I used to work for Evans cycles).

As for cannondales, my dream bike is a Supersix EVO.. but the caad10 is definatley something I would go for! need to find a way of buying one though, I can only pay with cash over here, no credit cards etc.

I agree spec isn't the most important aspect, 105 is not a problem for me, i just love the look of ultegra!

The Cannondale Shop or Y's Bike Shop has them in store, and cash is definitely not a problem. If your dream bike is an EVO then this is a no-brainer!

Bearing in mind I live in Oita-ken on Kyushu, it wuld have to be cash on delivery...

Wish I could afford an EVO :(

Ahh... I didn't notice your location. That being said, there's got to be a shop somewhere within a reasonable distance of you. Do what you have to do! Take a train ride to Osaka or wherever if you have to.

The EVO is amazing! That being said, the CAAD10 is pretty amazing as well, IMHO, offering probably 95% of the performance of the EVO for about half the cost.

Yeah theres a dealer in Oita city, gonna go and have a look after work today! still think prices are cheaper on the net.. thats why i use rakuten religiously! Cash on delivery is amazing!

Thanks!

Yeah, but your not going to get a Cannondale online. You'll be enjoying the thrill of your top tier bike long after the minor pain of paying slightly more has disappeared.

Yeah, but your not going to get a Cannondale online. You'll be enjoying the thrill of your top tier bike long after the minor pain of paying slightly more has disappeared.

Nope this is correct to protect thier over priced bikes,baby chairs and baby cars they will not allow online sales in Japan :D

To be honest my advice is this DO NOT BUY A BIKE THAT IS A REPLICA OF YOUR DREAM BIKE!

trust me it gets very expensive..... I bought a Pinarello FP3 my dream bike was the top of the line Pinarello Prince, that the Fp3 was designed on.

Needless to say I now own the FP3, Prince and 2 Dogma 60.1 and have my eye on the GRAAL and the new Dogma 65.1!!!!!

Buy a cheap bike ride the hell out of it, save the money and then buy your dream bike!

Well said, ride that first bike like it was stolen.

Then when you have all the gear you need, which is a lot, then get silly and buy a nice carbon machine

If you must have a Cannondale then I can recommend (Holly Shizzle did I just say that Pete?) the CAAD8

it will save you 100,000 that you can put in the piggy bank for the Di2 or DA mechanical groupset that will eventually go on the Evo.

Then save money towards the rest of the bike, trust me you'll save like a looney to get the bike of your dreams while the CAAD8 gets you out on the road.

To be honest my advice is this DO NOT BUY A BIKE THAT IS A REPLICA OF YOUR DREAM BIKE!

I agree with James on this! In his example the FP3 was definitely a "dumbed" version of their top of the line frame. On this count your totally safe with Cannondale. The CAAD10 is an just an alloy version of the EVO. It has the same geometry and tube shape. The only difference is frame material. It's certainly not a replica!

If you must have a Cannondale then I can recommend (Holly Shizzle did I just say that Pete?) the CAAD8

it will save you 100,000 that you can put in the piggy bank for the Di2 or DA mechanical groupset that will eventually go on the Evo.

Then save money towards the rest of the bike, trust me you'll save like a looney to get the bike of your dreams while the CAAD8 gets you out on the road.

Nope, I have to totally disagree with this. The CAAD8 is wannabe. Did I say a Cannondale model is a wannabe. Yep, when it comes to the CAAD8. The CAAD10, however, is a fully race worthy frame that would be right at home in the pro-peloton. The only reason it isn't is because carbon is so much more profitable and therefore is the material they are most promoting.

I agree with James on this! In his example the FP3 was definitely a "dumbed" version of their top of the line frame. On this count your totally safe with Cannondale. The CAAD10 is an just an alloy version of the EVO. It has the same geometry and tube shape. The only difference is frame material. It's certainly not a replica!

Actually incorrect the FP3 was the first step in the race frame series and took over from the FP5 and FP7, the FP2 and the FP1 are dumbed versions of the Prince.

the reason I was suggest the CAAD8 is becuase as we all know the route both you and I took Pete is the expensive route - by buying a CAAD8 he is saving 100,000 JPY or more that can go towards the bike of his dreams - there is zero point in dropping another 120,000 plus on the CAAD10 that he will most likely replace in a year or two.

I see it time and time again both yourself and Owen have done this exact same thing or it goes the other way people drop a large sum of money in to a bike they never end up riding for one reason or another.

So my advice is by a good bike that gets you rolling - if you aint racing there is no need for a race geo frame just get out there and ride. Then if you need to upgrade put it in to the wheels first then the groupset.

Actually incorrect the FP3 was the first step in the race frame series and took over from the FP5 and FP7, the FP2 and the FP1 are dumbed versions of the Prince.

I stand corrected. Is it safe to say though that the FP3's tube shapes and geometries were changed relative to the top of the line model at the time? Meaning the goal wasn't for it to be the top of the line race model.

I stand corrected. Is it safe to say though that the FP3's tube shapes and geometries were changed relative to the top of the line model at the time? Meaning the goal wasn't for it to be the top of the line race model.

The geometry is an exact match to the Prince however the ribbing and reinforcement on the FP3 is different as is the carbon used. The FP3 is a pure race frame and designed to be a little softer than the the Prince but stiffer than the FP5 and FP7 that had a totally different geo. Pinarello wanted the frames to move in this direction with the Aysemetrical design again not seen on previous frames and again the first step in the "Race Geo frames".

The FP3 is no longer built and has been replaced by the Quatro that is the entry model to the Dogma range. Again this frame can be bought as a frame only or pre built, something that is not available with the FP2 and FP1.

Back
Top Bottom